Pages

Monday, January 20, 2020

First 2020 Snowfall

Did it snow where you live over the weekend?

Here in Nashua, NH, the first measurable snow of 2020 dropped about half a foot of snow from Saturday night into early Sunday morning.


The storm started about 5 p.m. Saturday and lasted until shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday. The morning was clear and bright and with no wind, and these reflections were seen in the Nashua River from our 5th floor apartment window.

Before the overnight snowfall, the city of Nashua issued a snow emergency as roadways became snow covered. That snow emergency ended at 8 a.m. yesterday morning.

Temperatures climbed into the 40s during daytime hours yesterday and snow was already melting. However, the overnight temps were in the teens. Ice on the river banks may stay around awhile. 
This week temperatures will be in the mid-20s in the daytime, with overnight temperatures this coming week and possibly snow next weekend once again.

Those warm temperatures that tempted us a couple of weeks ago are just a fading memory now as winter has taken up its seasonal residence. And, this eclectic group has taken up residence outside our apt entry complete with their own snowballs.

Winter was well described in this popular verse by Robert Frost, poet laureate of VT, a four-time recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry . . .

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

26 comments:

MadSnapper said...

your snow did a great job of decorating your gorgeous view..it made it even prettier.. I like your snow men better than the kind outside. no frozen hands or toes...

Edna B said...

We got some snow too but we've cleaned up most all of it by now. Your view is still lovely. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Anonymous said...

Love seeing that snow there. All we have here is rain rain rain into the foreseeable cloudy future. It's lovely to read that poem. It's been quite a while since I've done that.

Annsterw said...

Love the decorations! All of our snow in PA in melted - I am totally okay with that! HA

Emma Springfield said...

We got snow and cold. Today the temperature is supposed to climb to 4 degrees. I'm digging out my bikini.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

The snow makes the area look very pretty

Michelle said...

Only flurries here and I LOVE that poem.

Jon said...

The snow looks so beautiful from your spectacular window view. A cold front blew into Tennessee a few days ago, but no snow around here. It was 12 degrees last night.
That collection of snowmen at your apt. entry is cheerful and sweet!
And Robert Frost has always been one of my favorite poets!

Connie said...

I love your snowmen decorations. We have about seven inches of snow on the ground right now from today, and it is still coming down. I guess winter has finally arrived here.

Buttercup said...

Love your snowmen. Most of mine are gone for the winter, but I left a few out because they are so cheery. NYC had snow on Saturday and forty degrees just about took it all away yesterday. Looks like good weather for January this week, 30s and 40s.

Red said...

I like Robert Frost and this poem.

Anvilcloud said...

I guess we got the same storm here or one at the same time, but it’s certainly chiller here.

TARYTERRE said...

love the snowmen and the poem. stay bundled up and warm. snow is beautiful to look at, but i hate to drive in it.

mamasmercantile said...

No snow here thankfully. Really enjoyed the poem thank you for sharing.

Valerie said...

The parts of the UK that face America were praying they didn't get your snow. I was lucky it didn't spread to my area.

LL Cool Joe said...

Your snow looks very beautiful but you can keep it thanks! I didn't have any snow here in Southern England, just a heavy frost.

NCmountainwoman said...

Love to see the snow. As long as it is not here. I recall memorizing the Robert Frost poem when I was in school. I loved it then and I still love it.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

This is one of my favorite poems! How pretty your snow photos all look! Love your little snowmen corner! Stay warm!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Aww those snowmen are adorable 😊

No snow here, but tonight it’s going to be cold, around 36°F. I had to cover several tropical plants, but some are too tall. I hope they will be ok.

DeniseinVA said...

Your temperatures are very similar to ours and it snowed a few days ago but fortunately did not hang around very long. Lovely views from your place and a very cute snowman collection :)

Doris said...

What a pretty view you have! It's so cold here, teens at night, 23 this morning. But it's sunny so that's good ☺

My name is Erika. said...

I guess you must have had rain on the earlier snowfall. But you do have some fantastic views from your apartment! It looks so pretty with the snow. Hugs-Erika

Bill said...

Nice pretty views from your window.

L. D. said...

It is such a great verse. I like your rooms with a view.

baili said...

i will revisit to read this one :)

William Kendall said...

All of that snow is a delight to see.