Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2020

It's Beginning to Look

No, not like early Christmas, but every other holiday that follows.
Within a few days after Christmas, most local retailers here were stocked up for the next round of holidays, Valentine's Day coming first and being the most heavily promoted through so many displays.
It followed soon afterwards by St. Patrick's Day (March 17), then Easter (April 12) There's debate over which holiday sells the most candy — Valentine's Day, Easter, or Halloween.
There were lots of left-over bargains to be found for those included to stock up for 2020 Christmas. Sales at some retailers featured mark-downs of 75%.

Until this week, we had the holiday cards still on display and they have since been taken down, but saved for some of next year's decoration projects. The New England winter village and the manger setting still remain and will be packed away by the end of this month. (We had to wait until the Jan 6 feast of the Epiphany and the arrival of the Three Wise Men after Christmas.)
"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me."                                                           Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

15 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I saw Easter stuff out last week! Crazy! -Jenn

MadSnapper said...

I still prefer the way things were in the distant past, but no it will never change. back then we finished one before the other stopped and in the dime stores there was only a view of a FEW things for one holiday...it really should not matter to me since I buy none of the above.

Edna B said...

I used to love these "after Christmas" sales. I don't get out as much now, so I do a lot of my shopping online. I love all your decorations. And I must say that Valentine's Day decor is really quite pretty too. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

L. D. said...

We were at Walmart yesterday and they had a lot of blank space waiting for spring I think. There was Valentine fever in a few places. I guess flowers and candy still need to come out. Yes I did beat you on the village teardown. Its ok as I sometimes wait until Feb. This year I wanted to do something as the weather has me locked inside.You had lots to see on your blog today.

Emma Springfield said...

The holidays are beginning to run together. They come so soon after each other.

Rain said...

Those are great pictures Dorothy! :) I've seen Easter decorations already at the local dollar stores. Soon I'll be planning our Valentine's dinner and dessert! Fun!!! :)

LL Cool Joe said...

When I was in the States a couple of weeks ago I went to Big Lots, as I do each year, to buy some of their half price Christmas decorations that I use on my gifts. Then I back them up and bring them back to the UK. I got some great bargains!

Edna B said...

I meant to mention that my little laptop has a 10" screen. It's a tablet/laptop with keyboard. I also bought the new mouse and pen. Everything fits in my new carry case. Good luck. Hugs, Edna B.

Bill said...

The seasons change so fast these days, bargains galore. :)

diane b said...

Retailers sure do hammer the celebrations.

Anvilcloud said...

Ever onward

TARYTERRE said...

i love all the decorations for all the holidays displayed in the stores. i used to do it myself but things are packed away in places we can't reach them. we have trouble walking, much less standing on ladders. still a few decorations for christmas out and about. they are all marked 90% off, near the new easter stuff. loved seeing all your photos. take care.

My name is Erika. said...

I like the post holiday shopping. You can find some good things for way way less money. But it makes me wonder when they start making Valentine candy since it is out on the shelf. I guess it will be here before we know it. HOpe your 2020 is going well. Hugs-Erika

Connie said...

Retailers don't miss a beat stocking up and promoting every holiday. I do most of my shopping online anymore, so I don't notice it as much as I used to.

William Kendall said...

Yes, the retail stores do have a way of shoving every holiday down your throat, don't they?