Pages

Monday, March 18, 2019

Green Day Fare

St. Patrick's☘️Day is said to be the one day when everyone is Irish and it's celebrated in many different ways usually involving merriment and beer(s). Ours was celebrated less noisily at home with friends invited for dinner. 

Chef Patrick (aka Grenville) prepared a corned beef dinner that included many of the usual trimmings — potatoes, carrots cabbage and Guinness. He said there's no other way to cook this meal in the crockpot. I'm not sure that's entirely true, but it was quite tasty.
My dinner contributions were soda bread with currants vs. raisins per recipe instructions. found out more here about differences between raisins, currants and sultanas, another dried baking fruit. The green cookies were a variation of a favorite chocolate chip recipe with added food coloring and peppermint extract. It was a very easy dessert served with mint chocolate chip ice cream.

The door decorations were courtesy of neighbors who were retaliating for remembering the holiday decos that unexpectedly were at their apt entry last December. 

While I'm not the biggest fan of corned beef dinners, once a year or even every couple of years is OK with me. It was a great way to celebrate with friends and neighbors at home.

Did you have a "traditional meal this past weekend, home cooked or not? 

15 comments:

MadSnapper said...

no traditional meals for us except burgers on 4th of july and Christmas, Thanksgivng and Easter and New Years Day, but we don't even do those now. I would not eat what was in the crock pot and can't eat the bread and cookies, but would if I could

Anvilcloud said...

I had that corn beef and cabbage once and have never felt to urge to repeat it.

Valerie said...

Not being Irish we don't celebrate his day but I do remember all the green outfits that were worn and the parades. That corned beef dinner sounds good. I love corned beef.

Emma Springfield said...

The dinner looks so good. Your soda bread is making my mouth water.

NCmountainwoman said...

Neither my husband nor I are fond of corned beef and not cabbage either. So we had steak and baked potato for dinner. The potatoes were Irish and that's about as traditional as we got.

William Kendall said...

My mother would tend to make an Irish stew for dinner on St. Patrick's Day.

Michelle said...

I should have made corned beef, but I didn't plan ahead!

Red said...

Very little St. Patrick's activity in this area. I guess we're no fun!

Lois Evensen said...

It all sounds wonderful. Our St. Patrick's Day was a bit different than usual this year.

We didn't make a special meal this time because we are so busy and the house is so discombobulated with the new puppy. We have extra gates and fences so that Baby Elsa can be near us, but still confined and safe when we can't have eyes on her every second. She'll be eleven weeks old next Saturday and is doing a fabulous job with potty training, sitting for cookies, and sleeping (almost) through the night.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How yummy it all looks and what a nice time I am sure it was! Have a wonderful week!

DeniseinVA said...

You two created quite a feast. Wonderful! Thanks again for sending Gregg's birthday card. He was very touched at your thoughtfulness.

diane b said...

Well I missed our St Patrick's Day celebrations and dinner (meat pies) at the village centre, because I was in hospital partaking of hospital food. (which was quite good actually). Thanks so much for your help with blogger and apple. I have found by removing my own blog from manage website data I got the nav bar back to normal but still couldn't comment on blogs with embedded comment box until I went back into manage website data and deleted the blog I was trying to comment on. Its a bother but it works.

baili said...

spending such happy day with family and friends is best way to celebrate i believe my friend!

food looks so appealing

i agree that on such occasions traditional meals keep our old spirits of celebrations alive

Connie said...

No traditional meals here, but it sounds like you had a fun celebration!

Karen Lakis said...

I usually enjoy making corned beef, but for some reason didn't get to it this year. Yours looks yummy. I got a good chuckle out of your door decoration - I hope the retaliation with the neighbors is all in good fun!