Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Nothing Says Loving . . .

Not like something from the oven, but like cards, cute(?) stuffed toys, and candy if you believe merchandisers who think this is what people want for their loved one(s) — and maybe some do. Personally speaking, none of this is for Grenville and myself who agree that love should be celebrated every day. 

This post is a couple of weeks late. The photos were taken a couple of weeks ago Most local stores began marketing Valentine's Day paraphernalia several days before New Year's Day was observed. 

A nearby major card retailer had this large display ready on December 27. Here's a name hint from the store's popular tagline: "When you care enough to send the very best." (Did you guess the store name?)
Not to be outdone, several other retail stores also had V-Day cards for sale filling racks once filled with Christmas cards within a few days after that holiday.
A local pharmacy retail store relocated its marked-down Christmas items to showcase these new gift ideas. Teddy bears and ostriches flamingoes (thanks Sandra) seemed an odd combination. The bears are a long-time favorite but who thought of flamingoes?
There were other choices too. Perhaps the love of your life would prefer Charlie Brown or Snoopy as a symbol of your love? And Minnie and Mickey Mouse were also available. These these toys looked charming, but what's the market?
And, if bears and cartoon characters don't do it, there's always puppy dogs. Admittedly, these were not the cutest toys I'd ever seen and since when are puppies pink?
Of course, what would Valentine's Day be without candy in heart-shaped boxes and there was quite a selection available everywhere.
My personal preference would be peanut butter hearts, which we recently enjoyed in the shape of Christmas trees. Soon, these will be replaced with peanut butter Easter eggs.
If folks needed colorful packaging for cards, toys, and candies, those were available too.
I don't know about most of you reading this post, but when I was growing up (eons ago) there was none of this hyped-up merchandise. Valentine cards were exchanged in grade school and also small multi-colored candy hearts with fun messages. 


Sweethearts is their "official" name although they’re also called conversation hearts. These treats have a history dating to 1847 and it  started here in New England. 

Oliver Chase, a Boston pharmacist, wanted to get in the apothecary lozenge business. He learned that they had a manufacturing process that required a mortar and pestle, kneading and rolling dough, then cutting it into discs that became lozenges.

Chase invented a machine for the process and then started a candy factory, leaving the pharmacy business to produce what became Necco wafers, named after the his New England Confectionary Company.

In 1866, his brother, Daniel, joined the business and designed a machine to add words on the candies like: “Married in pink, he will take a drink,” “Married in white, you have chosen right” and “Married in satin, love will not be lasting.” The candies were usually featured at weddings.
The candies became heart-shaped in 1901 and messages were shortened to: “Kiss Me,” “It’s Love,” “True Love” and “Call Me.” Today, they’re always being updated. In the 1990s, Necco’s VP added: “Email me” and “FAX me.”The company annually receives hundreds of message suggestions. (YouTube videos show the production process and color mixing.)

Why are these candies so popular year-to-year?

Some think it's because it allows people to give loving hearts in friendship or as a love message. Many, like myself, recall getting them in grade school. Even those who don’t eat candy now have commented that the candies return them to childhood.

In terms of dollar sales, Valentine's Day is the third biggest holiday/season for the U.S. candy industry. According market researchers, it lags behind Easter and Halloween, which are also 1-day observances.

Grenville and I are planning a getaway after hearts day to celebrate it and my earlier Feb birthday.

How will you be celebrating this year? 

17 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I much preferred the old Valentine day of my youth. a simple card was it, and we got the bags or books of valentines to exchange at school. all of this in these photos to me is a waste of good money and is SO AMERICAN... spend every penny you make on junk.. I think the ostrich are flamingos, but still odd which ever

Anvilcloud said...

As I have already posted, our house gets Valentined shortly after New Year.

DUTA said...

I agree with Sandra..."a waste of good money", but we cannot change the world. It's the world that changes us and we follow...
I like, however, your pictures with the cards, the sweets , and the toys in the above post.

Emma Springfield said...

I'll be thinking of the two of you getting ready for a fun trip.

mamasmercantile said...

Must admit I haven't really thought about it yet, not something that we really celebrate or observe. I generally make a card for the Grandchildren, for a little fun.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

My birthday is February 15th so I've always been known as a displaced Valentine … although that didn't necessarily mean more gifts !

William Kendall said...

I admittedly don't go for the occasion, but that's just me.

baili said...

this is interesting post dear Beatrice!

ah old days had simpler and more touching ways to celebrate love day

either i would prefer the old way to greet my loved ones
hubby brings a single red rose on every v day which says all to my heart perfectly

diane b said...

The over the top merchandising of these special days is irksome to me.We don't bother celebrating Valentines day in this house. It is Valentines day everyday for us.

Bill said...

Valentine's Day is not a big deal here, you don't see that stuff in the stores but Easter stuff is out right now and people do celebrate that. :)

Latane Barton said...

Valentines Day doesn't mean much to me anymore. Just another day. When you live alone and your love is no longer with you then it just seems pointless. I could go buy myself a valentine... how funny would that be!!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Nothing special on Valentines Day here. :)

I noticed all the Valentines decorations and merchandise at the store today and wondered if it was already February! Stores find any occasion to sell stuff. :)

possum said...

I learned to hate valentine's day... so many of the kids in school viewed it as a popularity contest, and the new or shy kids always got left out and the so-called popular ones made such a show of it. I hated to see the other kids hurt.
My foster kids were often at the bottom of the heap and hurting as they got moved around a lot. Then then are so many homeless kids today who can't afford all those valentines.

The Land of Greed..... and marketing.

Karen Lakis said...

Lol - is there a valentine's equivalent of the Grinch or Scrooge? That would be me. I'll probably buy my Valentine's cards on Feb 14th - picking through what's left in the store...

Connie said...

We usually go out for dinner on Valentine's Day and probably will this year too. Sometimes we exchange cards as well. I remember exchanging simple cards in school and the little candy hearts too.

Linda said...

Valentine's is my least favorite holiday. I agree it is a huge waste of money.
When my childre were small we would make Valentine's and send them to the troops during the Desert Storm days. I used to decorate for Valentine's Day but not any more. No kids at home and the grands are all in school. I need to sort through my remaining decorations and do a purge. Of course, all of Christmas is still up at pur house except for the den. and here we are in the country! No matter. I'll get to it. Taking 2019 as the year to slow down....

Unknown said...

I’ve looked & called all over within 50 mile radius of my home to find Charlie Brown sealed with a kiss. No CVS has it since the sale started. I’m very disappointed 😔