Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2019

All I Wanted for Christmas

Was nothing, not even my two front teeth. (If you're young enough not to remember this 1944 novelty holiday song, you can see videos on YouTube.) 

That said, I received two unexpected gifts, even if one as not as much a surprise as you will read.

Like many (ahem) older folks, Grenville and I no longer exchange holiday gifts. We did in the past, but we're at a time in our lives when if anything is needed or wanted, we can buy it (finding a good sale, of course). In talking with other similarly aged folks, it seems they do the same. We enjoy trips and time together all year long and gift-buy for grandchildren, family and friends — gifts enough for us.

Instead, we give and get surprises at non-holiday time. Last year, Grenville bought me a popover pan after we enjoyed these at a neighbor's home, a couple of cookbooks to go with cast iron pans I bought and recently bought another Italian recipe cookbook he thought I'd enjoy. For my part, I bought him two Vermont Flannel shirts (USA made).

When Grenville asked what I wanted for Christmas, my answer was nothing. But, one day after his oft-asked query, I blurted "bluetooth ear buds." Now, I've always used corded earphones, own several pairs and resisted any urge to buy bluetooth ones, which would just be another thing to charge. Corded earphones were fine with me. All our personal electronics are Apple brand, so there was little doubt about what he would consider buying. Brand loyalty is alive and well with Grenville.

After realizing that he might actually buy this item, I recanted any desire for bluetooth ear buds. It was a case of being too late as it wasn't until we were headed to visit family in CT on Christmas Eve.

Then on Christmas morning, Grenville gave me a small package containing Apple AirPods. (The red silicone cover was an after-holiday gift to myself as the white case is slippery.)

Yes, I felt bad recalling how in spite of my babbling the night before, he had made this purchase a couple of weeks earlier.

Was this gift unexpected? — more or less
Do I like them?  completely, used daily at gym
How do I feel?  very thankful to my husband 

I wondered if these cordless earphones would fall out, but they've remained in place at the gym. The small case is charged via a lightning cable and the AirPods recharge in the case. A charge reportedly holds for 5 hours; my gym sessions are way shorter, so that claim remains untested by me.

Bluetooth connection is easy, just put the Airpods in and they connect; they sense when they're being worn and pause when removed. The charging case is said to hold multiple charges for over 24 hours listening time; 15 minutes in the case gives 3 hours of listening time. Checking battery life is done by holding the case or the AirPods next to a device. 

I'll make the second unexpected gift a shorter tale.

I'm an avid photographer who, years ago, used photo paper and a printer for photo printing; now I order online via Snapfish. At home printing used a lot of ink and, as many well know, printer inks can be costly for photo printing.

A couple of family members surprised me with this gift — an HP Sprocket portable photo printer. Admittedly, I had never seen (or heard) of these devices. There's no excuse for my ignorance, except lack of interest. It seems the target market for is to folks active on social media who want "instant" photos. (Years ago that need for instantly printed pictures would have been met using a Polaroid camera.) 

These mini-printers operate much the same. No ink is needed, colors are embedded in the HP Zink photo paper which puts crystals on every sheet that show up as specific colors when heated. Each paper pack includes a separate bar-coded page run first to calibrate the printer for the paper pack. 

As shown above, these are small photos (2x3 vs. standard 4x6-inch prints) and are geared toward sharing vs. photo albums. The prints have a sticker backing; an HP Sprocket app allows adding borders, text, and stickers if one is so inclined.

My reaction? — it's a fun techie device
Would I have bought one?  most likely not
How useful is it? — fun for family pics, not so much for travel pics
Quality and results  impressive with bright colors

It was fun to send a thank you and include holiday photos printed via my cell phone to the HP Sprocket. I'll also use it to print pics enclosed with future card mailings.

This last gift was both expected (and not). Do you recall jokes about holiday fruitcakes that people would get and pass on every holiday season?  This gift is not like that. 

Friends who live in VA (not the eastern shore as we did) have been sending this now annual gift from when we formerly lived in NJ. 

We always thank them, tell them we appreciate the gift, and i's not necessary to continue. In reply, they tell us ()every year): "We send this gift because we want to and you need not send anything in return." 

Do we enjoy this annual gift? — absolutely
Are the cheeses used? — Yes, throughout the year in many ways

This year, we sent our friends a gift box with maple syrup and pancake mix. 

Your turn  did anyone receive unexpected gifts this year?
If so, please share in a comment.

11 comments:

MadSnapper said...

the cheeses I would want. we both love cheese and it keeps well. the other things I have no use for. I don't get printing photos. we all have them on our phones, tablets and computers. want to show a friend? pull out your phone. I have relatives who send cards with photos of the family, I toss them in the garbage with the cards. I can see those same photos and have already on line . of course I am not like others in this world and am sure these printers will sell like hotcakes. the ear pods are cool. they even have Bluetooth speakers that are great for those who like music or audio books

Anvilcloud said...

My clothes gifts were all expected this Christmas, which is a good idea really because they have to both fit and suit.

The one exception from Shauna and the kids was the Amazon Echo, which Sue uses more than I do.

I Bluetooth often with my hearing aids, often with the tv. The sound is clearer than coming through the air from speakers that are not as high of a quality.

DUTA said...

Thanks for the information. I do want a mini printer if I can find it in my part of the world. I usually get cosmetics as a gift. The thing is I seldom use them (I've got my own brand) except the body gel and moisturizer.

Anonymous said...

I had not heard of the mini printer stuff and will definitely check it out. We have an old printer and the ink for it is crazy expensive. I love printing photos and cards that I send out in the mail. Thank you so much for stopping by the Dharma Bums and leaving a comment. It was a lovely gift to hear from you this morning.

NCmountainwoman said...

My husband and I were quite surprised to receive an adorable miniature medical chest, complete with tiny instruments. I think Blue Tooth is so great for listening to music or podcasts without being attached. I have ear buds, headphones, as well as a speaker to use as needed. The headphones are best at noise reduction. I can listen to an audio-book and never hear the TV in the room.

L. D. said...

I think the cheese looks really good. I bought my wife a surprise carousel for here village and it was in early November. Going through Christmas day I remembered it was down in the storage room and then wrapped for Christmas night. She got an iPad from me but the other thing was just a nice surprise for her collection. I bet the ear buds are wonderful.

Emma Springfield said...

I received a walking cane which has come in handy.

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, impressive gifts I haven't come across the photo printer either. The cheeses looked amazing.

William Kendall said...

That's the first I've heard of the Sprocket.

Valerie said...

Suddenly I feel out of date, and there was me thinking I had everything.

baili said...

Such a lovely post!

I LOVED your wonderful gift exchange tradition :)

This is so sweet of your husband to gift you something you actually needed!