Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Penne, Asparagus and Shrimp

This hearty and healthy recipe is not only very easy but can be made on short notice, either for a quick dinner or when company is coming. All you'll need for the main ingredients are shrimp, pasta and asparagus. You can even substitute linguini, if penne is not in your pantry, or skip the pasta entirely and serve with a side salad and bread.

Penne with Asparagus and Shrimp
  • 1 C penne pasta
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C onion, chopped
  • 1/2 C white wine
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 bag fresh shrimp (I used medium)
  • 1 TBSP lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 TBSP chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or basil
  • 1/4 C grated Parmesan/Romano cheese
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook until al dente (8-10 minutes) then drain.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in garlic and onion and cook until onion has softened (about 5 min. or less). 
  3. Pour in white wine and simmer for 2 minutes CAUTION: turn down the heat BEFORE adding the wine or it will splatter (as I learned first-hand).
  4. Stir in red pepper flakes, butter and asparagus; cook until asparagus is just tender (about 4-5 min.).
  5. Add shrimp and lemon juice, continue cooking until shrimp have turned pink and no longer translucent in center. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Toss cooked pasta with shrimp and asparagus mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese. Serve and enjoy! 
    Yes, Grenville declared this recipe a "keeper."

11 comments:

diane b said...

Sounds delicious

Kathy said...

This sounds really good. Since I can't eat shrimp, I think I would make it with tuna or salmon. Yum!

Connie said...

That looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Emma Springfield said...

I like all the recipes you post but this one really looks good. It will be going on my menu for next month.

William Kendall said...

I've never tried asparagus.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a very good recipe and very easy to make.

Lynn said...

Yum!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

This looks wonderful.......thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of shrimp, but John will absolutely love this dish. I appreciate the recipe.

DeniseinVA said...

Looks delicious! I have been looking for more recipes using shrimp. Thank you for this one.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love all the ingredients and the recipe looks delicious. Definitely one I will try.