Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Mystery Continues . . .

At least for us that’s what happens every evening when we sit in our favorite chairs and try to figure out Who Dunnit???

A February post of the same title described our absorption with mystery novels. Grenville was reading novels by Louise Penny and I was reading some by Charles Todd.

We have continued reading – similar and new authors . . .

Believing the Lie is the newest Inspector Thomas Lynley mystery bycurrent reads (1) Elizabeth George. Lynley is mystified when he's sent undercover to investigate the death of Ian Cresswell at the request of the man's uncle, the wealthy and influential Bernard Fairclough. The death has been ruled an accidental drowning, and nothing seems to indicate otherwise. Lynley enlists the help of his friends Simon and Deborah St. James. The trio's digging soon reveals that the Fairclough clan is awash in secrets, lies, and motives.

Thanks to fellow blogger and mystery reader, AC, for letting me know about this latest tome, over 610 pages in the hardcover edition. It was a 2-week new book library loan, which meant several late night readings to return it on time this week.

current reads (3)In February, I had begun the first book in The Sunday Philosophy Club series by Alexander McCall Smith featuring Isabel Dalhousie, an Edinburgh philosopher who uses her training to solve mysteries. Besides Isabel, characters in the series include her niece Cat, a young attractive woman who runs a delicatessen; her housekeeper Grace, an outspoken woman with an interest in spiritualism; Cat’s ex-boyfriend Jamie, a bassoonist and music teacher; Charlie, Isabel and Jamie’s son; and Brother Fox, an urban fox who lives in Isabel’s garden. I’m reading the 8th (and last to date) book in this series.

Grenville read several of Ms. Penny’s mysteries featuring Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec before moving on to a U.S. based mystery series (also through a suggestion from AC).

Archer Mayor is the author of the acclaimed, Vermont-basedcurrent reads (4) series featuring Lt. Joe Gunther of the Brattleboro, VT police department. Mayor’s novels are based on actual experience in the field. He works as a death investigator for the VT State Medical Examiner's office and as a deputy for the Windham County Sheriff's Dept. There now 22 books in this series, which have been appearing about once a year since 1988; unfortunately our local library doesn’t have of them. Soon, Grenville will be running out of Mayor’s mysteries . . . any reading suggestions?

We don’t subscribe to cable or digital services needed for any TV watching in this area. For us nightly reading is far more entertaining than anything currently on the boob tube.

How do you spend your evening down time?

13 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I think I asked if you had read Jimmy Breslin. Alas I too do not have cable,my favorite writer of historic fiction is Donald Coldsmith.

MadSnapper said...

i love reading above all things, including blogging, computer and TV and movies. and i read a couple books per week. but evenings from 5:30 to 8 we watch TV. we have the HD digital service and love it.we have shows each night that we like and with the box, now we record the series and can watch it on demand. like tonight our 2 hours of TV is The Voice, a singing competition, one of our favorites.

Diana said...

WE love to read too. Funny thing is J.and I are both reading the same book. ha ha.. He started The Hunting Games, read the 2nd one and now on the 3rd. And I've caught up with him so we have to take turns reading it.. He's still ahead! good to talk to you,love.Diana

Anvilcloud said...

I have just finished reading the latest Simon Serailler by Susan Hill. They are different in that in some books the mystery barely gets solved and if so almost by accident. Once I gut used to it, I quite enjoyed the series as I realized that they were about more than just the mystery. The latest was as much about the issue of assisted suicide as the mystery. It is called The Betrayal of Trust and is the sixth or seventh in the series. I give this series high marks.

I have only read one of G.M. Malliet, Wicked Autumn, but I think I will try more.

Currently I am reading a Charles Todd, Inspector Rutledge, after reading two of the other series, Bess Crawford series. I wasn't drawn to Ian Rutledge previously, but I think I am more amenable to him now.

Anonymous said...

I have only heard about Elisabeth George and read most of her books, but I have to admit that I got rather tired of her. This one however sounds interesting so I'll see if I can find it.

Have a great day!
Christer.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

The Pres has me hooked on most of the shows in the evening. Reading only comes and goes in the winter months or when on vaca in Aruba...:)JP

Connie said...

I used to read a lot of mysteries, but I've been reading other things of late. I'm always glad to hear when someone's reading, though! :)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Wonderful post. I usually sit out in the late afternoon with my husband and watch the sun set. It is so quiet and peaceful out here.......maybe a coyote calling now and then.

Swamp Dog said...

One of our fellow bloggers was kind enough to nominate my blog doublebhomestead.wordpress.com for the Liebster Blog award so I get to pass on this award to 5 of my favorite blogs. I enjoy your blog very much and visit on a regular basis so I would like to nominate you for this award.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Everyone, many thanks for your comments and book recommendations too.

Steve, never read Jimmy Breslin even though he wrote for NY papers and we're natives of NJ. Also have not read any historical nonfiction, maybe one day.

Hi Sandra, what is your choice in reading material? Nice that you can record shows and watch later.

Diana, hadn't heard of the books you mentioned, but will look them up.

AC, THANKS again for the previous and new reading suggestions. Our local library only has a couple Susan Hill novels on the shelf and I plan to check at least one out this week. I will look for any of G.M. Malliet's works as well.

I recently read 2 recent books by Charles Todd that featured Inspector Ian Rutledge. FInished only 1 of the Bess Crawford series before moving onto Ms. George's latest.

Christer, I have to agree that Ms. George does get a bit verbose and that makes for VERY big novels.

Hey JP, thanks for the feedback. We really don't miss TV in the least (not even in the most).

Daisy, what are you reading now?

Kathleen, a wonderful way to spend an evening as nothing beats nature.

Swamp Dog, THANK YOU most kindly. We are really quite pleased to know you enjoy our blog and that you have nominated us for the Liebster Blog Award . . .BUT we are an award-free blog. Comments are our most enjayable "rewards."

Cicero Sings said...

I've read most of Alexander McCall Smith's books too but especially like The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series ... the best!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I think I've told you before that I love mysteries, also. If the weather continues as it is, looks like it will be too hot to do anything but read this summer! Have a great day.

Unknown said...

My day ends with a book; I love Eliz. George too for the detail in her characters... but will wait on that new one as my to be read shelf is full. I like mysteries too...not familiar with that VT series thought. Right now celebrating his anniversary, I am honoring Charles Dickens by reading The Old Curiosity Shop. I don't think I have ever read this one and it has been a long time since I read a true classic. I read this week a new medical study shows that reading engages the brain and may help fend of Alzheimer's. Good for us....