Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Honey of a Trade

Ever tried bartering?

While we haven’t done much ourselves, lately we’ve had a couple of tasty trades as we’ve started going through the process ofIMG_9904 sorting “stuff” that’s managed to collect in The Frog & PenguINN. Sometimes, we’re not sure HOW this “stuff” got here, but we know a lot has to leave. This has become an ongoing process to  de-clutter so we can downsize to a smaller home.

Grenville had purchased an assortment of canning jars over the past several years. They were stored in the attic which is being emptied now, so the jars needed a new home. Our friend, Matt is a fellow gardener and bee keeper who is always in need of clean jars. So, we worked out a trade – canning jars for fresh honey. Tea never tasted better !

Then, last weekend while participating in the Heritage Celebration, I arranged an eggs-stra special trade (awful pun)  and bartered another trade, photo cards for these beauties. A potter we know – NO not Harry – Elizabeth raises chickens, otherwise known as “the girls” and brought this colorful selection this week.

IMG_9896More colorful than store-bought eggs and delicious for this weekend's breakfast.

Note: Fellow bloggers who may also be facing the challenges of accumulated “stuff” can check out the Space Wars Rant  posted on Dancing With Daisy’s  blog this week.

Grenville and I concur with Daisy’s observation about needing less after a certain age. We’ve also found that having more “stuff” requires more maintenance, and as Daisy stated, “they become a nuisance.”

We’re finding that having less “stuff” is a great feeling and we’re not missing anything that’s been donated – or better yet – traded.

It gets easier too !

12 comments:

Connie said...

Sounds like you made some good trades, Beatrice. Good luck with your downsizing. I hope all goes well for you. Thank you for mentioning my blog post and the link. Very sweet of you to do that. :-) I hope you have a good weekend.

Anvilcloud said...

I thought we threw out a heckuva lot when we moved, but it wasn't enough, and we've accumulated more.

Lois Evensen said...

You've made excellent trades while downsizing. The items you received in your trades are consumable and won't take up space for very long. :)

Montanagirl said...

Boy I agree with you there! We have so much "stuff" in our basement store rooms that should have never been stuck down there...My big thought for this spring has been to go through them and start eliminating!

Arkansas Patti said...

What a great way to rid your self of unwanteds. Mine have mostly gone to charity but I like your way also.
Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing. I am so sorry you have also felt this pain.

grammie g said...

Hi B...My daughter the farmer does bartering...and here chickens are ""the Girls" too!! and Her eggs come in Easter egg surprise colors as she calls them lol!!
Such a deal on the honey...there is nothing like it!!!

Have fun with it!!
Grace

Out on the prairie said...

When I first moved i used my grandmas station wagon.Before long i needed a semi, rental truck and too many friends.I gave away tons and now have the basics.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have never tried bartering. I agree, it is much easier to have less these days.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully my cottage is so small that I have no space to keep things I really don't need :-) :-)

I would love to trade like this! But there's no one around that I can trade delicious things like these.

Have a great day!
Christer.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like a sweet deal to me! I am trying to de clutter too..it ain't easy:(

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Now that is my kind of trading. Nothing better than fresh eggs and honey. You are blessed.

Carole Barkett said...

Great trades and an excellent idea.