Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Art in the Park

This weekend was perfect weather to stroll an art show in a local park and that's what we did on Sunday.
The Greeley Park Art Show in Nashua, NH
The 73rd annual Greeley Art Show 
sponsored by the Nashua Area Arts Association was held in Greeley Park, Nashua, NH. This annual 2-day event is always held on the last weekend in August featuring work from local artists and from other New England states.
The Greeley Park stone house
This public park sits on 125 acres on property originally bought in 1801 by Joseph Greeley. In 1896, his grandson deeded the land to the City of Nashua 1896. In 1901, a local businessman donated $5,000 matched by city funds, to change the Greeley Farm into a public park. The monies were used to create a stone and cement rest house, fountain, shallow pond, gravel walk and flower beds. The park includes hiking trails, horseshoe pits, ball fields, tennis courts and a community garden.  
Some art on display at the Greeley Park art show
Over 50 artists exhibited their work throughout the weekend including painters, water colorists, woodworkers, photographers and mixed media artists. 
Ornaments and lamps crafted from old books
One of the most unique displays was this one which features various items including animal figures, snowmen, ornaments and lamps made from old books. The artist told me that after her mother-law-passed away, a couple thousand books were in her home and that these provided the material for this craft.
The weekend event featured live performances by area musicians such as Electrik Soul (above) as well as artist demonstrations, children's games and a raffle.
This year's exhibitors included painters, photographers, woodworkers, potters, water colorists and mixed media.
Woodworker Ronald Marcoux presented live demonstrations of his craft during the two-day show and was very animated in discussing his craft.
I've learned from previous art shows that while some artisans don't mind photos being taken of their work, others are much less accommodating and have even posted signage, no photos allowedUnfortunately, there are some who would seek to copy another's work. Therefore, I don't linger too long or take many individual photos.

Hopefully, you had a good weekend for anything outdoors. 
Welcome to a new month.

7 comments:

Tom said...

...does Ronald Marcoux have a side gig as Santa?

Linda G said...

I have seen a knife block made with books. I like the art. Did you buy anything?

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like there’s something for everyone.

Anvilcloud said...

People are so clever and creative.

I've also encountered those picky artists. As if someone is going to walk by, snap the camera, and then. somehow, cheat the artist out of thousands of dollars.

Bijoux said...

It's fun to go to these shows and see how crafty people can get. We've bought a few things over the years. One is a metal etching of Toronto, where we honeymooned.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've not only been to many arts/crafts shows, I have sold my own ceramic wares at a few as well. I love to support the arts still!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

No, I did not buy anything, Linda, as we are trying to divest of things vs. acquire 🙂.