What's become to regarded as the unofficial last day of summer, Labor Day, was celebrated this past Monday with a 3-day weekend.
Traditionally, this day is time for picnics, family get togethers and getaways. We'd considered a road trip, but increasing gas prices, dealing with holiday traffic and last minute vacationeers made us re-think that plan. Instead, we stayed home, aside from a trip to the supermarket and a walk outdoors.
It was a good weekend to tackle Christmas holiday downsizing. Believe me, empty containers are a very good thing especially at this stage of our lives when less is much better. We wil still enjoy Christmas, but with a lot less to put up and take down, which will also be good.
![]() |
| Empty containers are a very good thing |
There were too many ornaments, so a decision was made to keep special ones like those given by family (only one each of grandpa and grandma ornaments needed, not 3 sets). Also kept were ones bought at craft shows or when on travels.
Progress was made, two containers were emptied and then there were three, not five. These totes definitely need to be relabeled much neater once this project is completed.
![]() |
| These three containers will soon become two |
The to go items were boxed, loaded into a cart and taken to a large thrift store yesterday — the sooner the better. When donating Christmas holiday items it's best not to wait until right before the holidays. That's when thrift stores will be inundated and may not accept giveaways, which could then become toss-aways. The start of October is a good time.
Sorting will be ongoing with the goal to reduce Christmas items into two containers before Grenville returns them to storage. It's handy that in the absence of a garage or attic, a storage unit is just down the hall from our apartment. Of course, the goal is to not add more stuff.
In between the holiday downsizing, a mini scarecrows and pumpkins display was set up outside our apartment entry — it was downsized from previous years.
Your Turn — Do you have excess holiday — if so, any downsizing plans?




15 comments:
You are entering that phase of life.
Yes, as it seems many of us are doing, AC. That said, it really is a good feeling to be divesting ourselves of "stuff."
Good for you! Now that the weather is cooling off I need a session in our storage unit (under the building in the garage) to see what I am ready to get rid of.
We are in that mode too. But we really have too much stuff and The Christmas decor was pushing us out of the house (:0)
Sold some and got rid of some too. Dave just isn't able to put up outside lights and so that's not happening..I'm sad but its really okay. Rather have him than the lights any-hoo.
We're in the midst of shredding a lot of old important papers which now aren't important !
That's a good feeling but time consuming.
So we are very Retired and have the time to do things when we feel the urge ... well maybe not feeling the urge ... it just has to be done.
Have a great day
Sue
Sue
I do like the scarecrows and pumpkins display...it makes me smile :)
All the best Jan
I like your autumn decor. And yes, I have too much holiday stuff, and I have downsized just a tiny bit, but more needs to be done! But I'm not sure when. I seem to put out fewer decorations most years, and I alternate them around. What I really need to downsize is craft supplies, but since I use most of them and still craft a lot, I think that's still off in the future somewhere. Enjoy this summery day. hugs-Erika
...we have way too stuff of all description, but we only decorate for Christmas. Most of this is meaningful, but there is some Chinese Tchotchke that is taking up space.
As long as my books are not considered surplus stuff I am fine with downsizing. If some predictions about rampant AI are true we only have about three years left on Earth anyway, so the whole exercise may be academic!
Well done, you inspiring woman! I plan a move in two or three years and as you might imagine, holiday items are the big challenge. My new spot will have no basement, consequently more limited storage. If I only had five bins to weed down, that would be great, but I have many more! (Each year I put up about five larger trees and several tabletop ones.) I won't be able to move all those. I have purged some; but more must come! Thanks for the inspiration! Well done!
You're very welcome, Jeanie, and good luck on your future move and downsizing. It is a chore, but actually makes you feel better when it's done. We only put up one tree and that will continue.
I admire how you’re tackling this with intention.
Downsizing isn’t easy, but you’ve turned it into something positive and even inspiring.
Well done you! Getting rid of stuff is not easy (but sometimes necessary).
We moved to Spain 16 years ago and for that move we had to get rid of a lifetime's accumulation of stuff (and many books, oooh that hurt). Now stuff has accumulated again! I have to keep it at a minimum as I don't want to cause problems for my kids when I pass.
Here in Spain people don't decorated for the holidays like you do in America. But I do like a nice Christmas tree and some tinsel and greenery around the living room. I even have a wreath on the door.
Last year I couldn't find my decorations, so I had to buy another tree (small this time) and baubles. The other day I was in the garage and I found all the stuff! So now I have to get rid of half of it! Sigh...
By the way, your scarecrow and pumpkin display is delightful.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca
I got rid off most of my Christmas stuff several years ago, as well as of my Halloween stuff. There is a family with young children living down a few houses from us and they got quite a bit - so I still see it when they decorate. Since we don't celebrate Christmas anymore - and neither any of the other holidays - we don't need all of that stuff anymore. Usually I'm constantly gettinf through my things and either put them into a "free" box that I put in our driveway or I donate it to a thrift store. It's a big relief to get rid off some things, even though it might be difficult in the beginning.
I do enjoy seeing your holiday displays but certainly can understand the need to downsize. We started this process ourselves thinking that we may need to move to a one level, smaller house in our not so distant future. All in the talking mode at present. Well done on your accomplishment.
I love to combine bins like that and get rid of what we no longer need or use.
Post a Comment