Today is not only the last day of this month, it's also the last Friday for a funny.
Here's something unusual, a canoe in a garage area. But, it's not just parked in any garage.
It's inside the garage at Clocktower Place, Nashua, NH, ironically in what was once a water canal for the former Nashua Manufacturing Company, a textile mill.
In 1825, a 3-mile-long Nashua River Power Canal was built for the mill to divert water from the Nashua River. The waterway channeled water through a gatehouse to drive turbines and power the looms.
In the late 1980s, the former water canal was paved over and converted into an underground parking garage. This was done as part of a major historic preservation project that converted the former mill into Clocktower Place residential apartments, our current home.
In answer to comment queries: Yes, the canoe was put in the parking space by a resident as parking spaces are assigned with a monthly fee for garage parking. Garage access is by a fob keyed to the resident's account. As to whether the canoe owner knew the history, most people likely do not unless they are curious and historically-minded. Thankfully, we have not had any flooding in recent years.
Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
We’re going to the Lowell National Historic Park, MA



25 comments:
It is a strange thing to see in a car park, but completely appropriate for the location.
That is an unusual way to save a parking spot.
Fitting I guess.
...interesting canoe parking.
Funny! Do you think whoever "parked" the canoe there was conscious of this history, or were they just trying to save a space?
Love how an object can cause information about the history of your area to make its way to all of us. When I was in the TradeShow business the company we worked for had their offices in an very old converted Mill. Dave and I got to visit it in the Boston area and saw how it was built alongside a river to keep the mill running. It was fascinating to me. I didn't have my camera with me so there are no "memory " photos and now that particular TradeShow company is now defunct.
Very sad.
Thanks for allowing me to travel down another rabbit hole. (:0)
Enjoy your Weekend at the Lowell National Historic Park.
Sue
I was just sharing about the mill and your going to Lowell with Dave and he said that he thought the main office that I just talked about was in Lowell. (Go figure) He also said that he took a tour group to Lowell for the history. Its funny though because all of his people on his bus were from the UK and their history is really old ... not how we in the US think of as old. I know this was a poorly written comment but I wanted to get it down on the computer before I forgot it .. senior moments ... (:0)
Sue
That is very apt. Does the boat have that information? Or did you find that out later? I hope there is a 'plaque' or something explaining why that boat is there. (And not somebody trying to save their spot in the car park).
But very interesting, thanks.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca
The canoe owner had to be a resident as the underground parking is accessed by a keyed fob.
This was only someone who lives in the mill apartments, Lisca.
I am assuming you must have assigned parking spaces in the garage for the tenants of the building. I guess that person felt like it was his space to put whatever he wanted. LOL. Hopefully no one will paddle off with it! LOL. Interesting history of where you live. I think that is fascinating! Thank you for sharing, and enjoy your trip to the museum.
Perhaps someone is preparing in case of a flood.
Well, they had to park it somewhere.
Interesting do you have assigned parking spots or is first come first served?
As others have mentioned, I hope the canoe doesn't become necessary due to rising water issues.
Unusual to say the least. Safe to say he (or she) didn’t paddle it there.
Parking spaces are assigned.
Yes, I wonder why the canoe was put there. As Lisca says, there should be some explanation of why it's there. Not to prepare for future floods, I hope.
It is a pretty canoe. 🤣
May
Unusual to see, the owner has obviously paid the parking fee!
All the best Jan
I am most amused by the parked canoe. In one of her rental houses, my daughter had two canoes parked in the basement. The house was built on stilts beside a stream that occasionally flooded, so she figured she was covered both ways. Honest, true story.
Mary, not so unusual for those who live in similar house with a chance of flooding. I have seen kayaks and canoes stores under many houses on stilts near water.
It’s amazing how one quirky sight can open a window into the history of a place.
The canoe fits right in with the story of the old mill.
Interesting history of where you live. A canoe in a car park??
Very interesting history. Hopefully the canoe will never be rolled on by a vehicle.
That is a very funny picture! The resident was definitely taking advantage of his monthly fee.
Post a Comment