Thursday, July 30, 2026

Delivering the Mail

Most post offices don't float.

But if you're a summer resident or attend summer camp on an island on New Hampshire's largest lake, Lake Winnipesaukee, it's the only way to get or send mail.
The tradition of delivering mail by boat to Winnipesaukee’s summer residents and remote islands dates to 1892 when mail was delivered to Camp Idlewood, a summer camp. Mail is still delivered to boys and girls camps by boat. 
M/V Sophie C., the oldest floating U.S. mailboat
Today, it's done by the Sophie C., the oldest floating post office in the U.S. and the only U.S. mailboat on an inland waterway. It also takes up to 120 paying passengers on a 2-hour cruise while mail is being delivered. Last week we went along on one.
Early brochure for mail boat service
The Sophie C. was built in 1945 by the Boston Ship and Engine Works as a supply ship for the U.S. Navy in WW II. It was later converted for use as a mail boat and named for the mother (Sophie Caroline) of the former company owner. 

In 1916, by an Act of Congress, the mailboat was granted the right to cancel mail on Lake Winnipesaukee making it a full post office. It sells stamps and has its own cancellation stamp. Sophie C. became an official U.S. Mailboat in 1969 when the words U.S. Mailboat were added to her prow. 
A post mistress is onboard the Sophie C.
The mailboat seasonally delivers some 25,000 pieces of mail and packages (down from 35,000 years ago) to island homes and summer camps. It also sells postal supplies and stamps and postcards which passengers can fill out and postmark on board for a unique cancellation. 
Top deck seating on the mailboat
Sophie C. delivers mail to the lake's summer residents, Monday through Saturday with two separate, 2 hour cruises each day. As it heads to the islands, the captain points out areas of interest along the way. There are stops at four islands during the morning run and stops at five others in the afternoon. 

When docking isn't possible, inbound and outbound mail is exchanged via a hand-off to someone on the dock as the mail boat continues a slow 15 mph movement.
Island residents waiting for mailboat to dock
At many stops, the mailboat's visit is the social event of the day as island residents wait at the dock for deliveries or just to say hello. The mail deliverer knows most summer residents by name.
We also enjoyed ice cream onboard the Sophie C.
Children look forward to the boat’s daily arrival as a chance to buy one of the ice cream treats or other snacks for sale onboard. The frozen treats have become a summer tradition for adults as well.
At some stops, swimmers climb dock posts then jump into the lake as the mailboat leaves and blows its horn. There was a lone jumper on the day of our cruise.

Traveling on the mail boat was definitely a unique experience. And, while NH may boast the oldest mailboat, it isn't the only state to have one. Mail boats still serve isolated island and lakeside communities in other U.S. states: Alabama, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Oregon, Virginia and Wisconsin. The difference is that these boats only deliver mailbags and freight. They don't have an onboard postal clerk and can't sell stamps or post stamp mail onboard, unlike the Sophie C.

And now you know — the rest of the story.

22 comments:

Boud said...

We used to go to the Gordon Conferences at Lake Winnepesaukee, and rent a lake side cottage for the week. We were there for the moon landings which we experienced with hundreds of other scientists. Our son was under two and despite my motherly hope, doesn't remember the shout of triumph from the assembly!

Linda G said...

I have been on a mail boat that originated out of Boothbay Harbor ME.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Linda, the Boothbay, ME, mailboat functions only as a contract mail boat that transports mailbags and freight from the mainland to Squirrel Island.While it delivers mail, it does not have an onboard postal clerk, you cannot buy stamps or post stamp mail on it. Unlike the Sophie C. it doesn’t have its own ZIP code or postmark cancelation stamp.

baili said...

such a fascinating story of the mail that is delivered by the boat wow :)
i found it so charming dear Dorothy . i think traveling with mail in the boat must be sensational because it connects so many hearts and brings joy to receivers :)
i really wish if tradition of writing letters to each other can return
thanks for sweet sharing my friend ,you two look happy to be part of this lovely adventure :)
blessings!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh how interesting! I have long time childhood friends who have a family summer camp on one of the islands in Lake W., and I wonder now if they get their mail that way? I may have to ask! When we lived in NH we used to drive by Lake Winnie. many times and it was always so beautiful. I love that you had that opportunity to take that boat ride! How fun!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kathy G said...

Interesting! I had no idea some mail was still delivered by boat.

Anvilcloud said...

The rest of the story indeed. I had no idea. I just checked and there is some of this in Canada, but I not sure if it would apply to summer cottagers or just more permanently inhabited islands maybe. Unsure.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for a very interesting post ... both to read and enjoy your photographs.

All the best Jan

mimmylynn said...

What a fun post. I don't have mail delivery... I have to go the post office to pick up my mail.

My name is Erika. said...

That's really interesting. I knew there was a mail boat, but I didn't know it was a full post office with it's own postmark. Did you hear what its season was? And of course, it would be fun to get an ice cream too. :) Hope you made it home OK today. It was great talking to you also. hugs-Erika

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

That is a really neat summer excursion!
May

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We had to do the same when we lived in VA where there was no delivery and everyone in town (pop. 500) had a postal box at the post office.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suspect that mailboats, indeed mail service, will soon become relics of the past. Many countries have already abandoned postal service and others are contemplating it. In Canada the postal service loses massive sums of money each year, and were it not propped up by government subsidy would have ceased to exist years ago.

Red said...

Interesting process. The tour alone would be interesting.

Kathylorraine said...

Good evening, this was so interesting-I enjoyed it-you find the most interesting tours-hugs

diane b said...

You always put together interesting posts. I enjoyed reading about the mailboat. What fun to take a trip on one.

Lisca said...

How interesting! As an enthusiastic Postcrosser, I'm always interested in interesting mail related stories. You've made my day! Thank you.
Lisca

photowannabe said...

Wow, this is so fascinating. I wish that I could be in your pocket on the delightful trips you take. I love to combine history and just plain fun at the same time.
Sue

Rob Lenihan said...

This is amazing. A floating post office? Who knew? I want to take that tour. Thanks for the great post.

DeniseinVA said...

What an interesting story! You both look like you are enjoying those Klondike Bars. I'm going to have to put them on the shopping list after seeing this ;)

Christina said...

I wanted to jump of that pier and swim, it looks very tempting. Isn’t it great to have a mailboat that serves communities that can’t be reached by road? I had never thought about it and really enjoyed reading your post.

Bijoux said...

I learned something new today!