Cedric, the teddy bear, is home in Nashua, NH. It arrived last week looking quite different than when its fur was sent to Ohio several months ago.
That's because Cedric resulted from converting a fur stole into a teddy bear.
![]() |
| Cedric is a jointed teddy bear made from a fur stole |
After my mother died, years ago, my brother and I cleared out her home. We discarded or donated nearly all household items and clothing, but not a fur stole, which was the pride and joy of my mother's accessories. She enjoyed dressing up and wore the fur when she and my late father attended weddings or special events.
As a homemaker, she had purchased it in the mid-1960s from a former department store in Plainfield, NJ, as shown by a receipt she kept with it.
I relocated the fur to our apt home in Nashua and it was stored it in a bedroom closet. This year, after an online search, I found Fairy Godmother Creations in Dayton, OH, and read how clothing, furs or wedding dresses could be converted into heirloom treasures. The website provided information with order forms and costs.
Fairy Godmother Liane, who has been creating memories for over 25 years, could convert the fur into a memory teddy bear. The website included a phone number and I called her before sending it. She told me that she would send an email after it was received and examined and would provide a completion date, which would most likely be several months.
Curious about the cost? it was just under $200 with shipping paid by myself both ways. Admittedly, it's an expense for a small teddy bear, but it's a special memory of my mother, so the cost or time to complete it were not an issue for me.
Once the bear was done, Liane emailed a photo and then sent it with care instructions. Because this is a real-fur bear, the fur was re-enforced with a fabric-based interfacing to help it last. To keep the hide from drying out, the teddy bear should be kept out of direct sunlight and not near heating. She advised never to use water on real fur as it could cause shrinkage.
Liane asked me to email her when the bear arrived. She wanted to make sure that her creation made it home. I emailed back that this one did just that. As for the name of the teddy bear, my mother's name was Clara and the name Cedric appealed to me.
![]() |
| Cedric has joined other special friends in our apartment. |




27 comments:
...looks better as a teddy bear!
I agree, Tom.
What a handsome teddy bear and a wonderful lasting memory of you mom.
Oh my ... what a fantastic Treasure !!!
Its beautiful and the workmanship on it is well worth the money. How can one put a monetary value to a family heirloom?
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Sue
Hello Cedric . . . a very special teddy bear.
All the best Jan
What a fabulous idea! And what a wonderful way to preserve and honor your mother's memory. Cedric is a treasure.
Awww, how precious! Just lovely!
What a special memory!
I have heard of this being done-Loving your bear-hugs
Repurposing at its best.
What a lovely cuddly memory bear! He is so cute! And very special too.
I have a memory bear made out of my husband's favorite clothes. My blog friend Annie makes those. (https://wipso-astitchintime.blogspot.com/) and I ordered one after his death in 2022. He now sits on my husband's pillow.
Happy Friday!
Lisca
This is almost brilliant. What a concept!
This is a wonderful way to remember your mother.
Oh my goodness! How wonderful! Cedric is quite charmer! What a wonderful Memorial Bear! Funny, I also wrote about memorial bears today on my post! Great minds think alike! Yours is quite stunning!!!What a great way to honor your mother's memory and use something she really loved. What a treasure!!
so sweet...what a cute bear!!!
Very cute. I wonder what she would do with a wedding dress?
According to the website, Marcia, christening gowns are one repurposed item.
That's a wonderful conversion of an old fur stole. I'm sure Cedric will give you a lot of enjoyment.
Cedric the Bear is splendid. He looks so cuddly, but the all teddy bears have that effect on me.
I have a fox fur from my late mother and I am now going to see if anyone in UK can do something with it.
Cedric is really handsome and I love the name you chose. A beautiful memory of your mother
This is wonderful. I had a friend who used to make Teddy Bears. I love the idea that you found a person who could do with with your mom's fur.
What an interesting idea! I've never heard of doing this with furs but it makes sense, as people don't really wear them anymore. My stepmother had some furs once upon a time but I have no idea what she did with them. When she died they were nowhere to be found among her things.
This is a fabulous idea and Cedric certainly is a beautiful addition to the family. Your mother would have loved him and the thought behind it.
What a wonderful keepsake from your mom!
Cedric is more than a teddy bear -- he’s a piece of your mother’s love stitched into something you can hold close.
What a touching way to keep her memory alive.
That's a lovely way to remember your mother. My mother had a Persian lamb coat that she loved and wore like your mother for weddings and special occasions. After she passed, I had my Young One turn it into a Scottie dog. When my parents were courting, my dad gave my mother a stuffed Scottie dog they named MacTavish.
He turned out beautifully. I'm glad I kept strolling to catch up to this post, as I remember that you were going to do this with the stole.
Post a Comment