Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Locked-Up Candy

Halloween and candy treats have partnered for years and it's here in just over 6 weeks.
Buying sweets quickly has become more challenging in some places.

Why?
Because candy displays were the most recent lock-ups seen at the CVS retail pharmacy in Nashua, NH, last week. This was something very new. 
The black clips in the photo above are security tags. This anti-theft device was on every bag. Since this was an end display, I thought that perhaps it was only done there.
But, when I looked in the candy aisle, every bag displayed a security clip which could only be removed at checkout. The cashier told me locking and unlocking the bags took time, but candy theft was an ongoing issue. 

Online videos from other CVS stores have shown everything from shampoo and conditioner to soda bottles being kept behind locked cases. 
In the CVS on Main Street, ice cream and frozen food products are also in locked cases.
The beer case did not have a lock, but there was a call button to request assistance from a store employee.
Surprisingly, there were no visible locks on this large cosmetic display. 

Retail theft has cost businesses across the country hundreds of billions of dollars on an annual basis, forcing companies to adopt a variety of measures to deter shoplifters.  Major retailers like CVS have been implementing anti-theft measures. The most significant are to lock up certain products so that shoppers are required to ask an employee for help.

Since the pandemic, more household products have been locked up to deter thefts. In some areas, organized robbery sprees have cleared entire shelves of products. There was a similar occurrence in this Nashua CVS this year.
Who can forget when during the pandemic toilet paper was a hot item. Yet, surprisingly, the above displays were not under enclosures or behind lock and key.
But all the wine bottles were tagged with individual security devices, each would need to taken off at the checkout counter. In NH, wine is sold at supermarkets as well, but isn't locked.

Locked items are an inconvenience that customers are not happy about according to the cashier I talked with who said that shoppers repeatedly expressed frustration that CVS anti-theft measures (like locking up candy) are pushing them to avoid shopping there.

That backlash is widespread. Customers find it makes shopping more difficult and some have said they'll shop elsewhere with a not uncommon response: If something is locked, half the time I just go home and buy it on Amazon.

Another common response, I just stopped going and don't have time to call someone over every time I want an item.

After shopping for candy, I understand and agree with their frustration. Thankfully, we buy wine and ice cream elsewhere.

On the topic of candy, fellow blogger, Jon, has a nostalgic Sweet Memories post in which he reminisces about vintage Halloween candy and other sweets.

Your turn — Are there lock-ups at stores in your area and, if so, what are they?

11 comments:

Tom said...

...thief is a huge problem, but I haven't seen this here.

kathyinozarks said...

I have rea about this too, but mostly in large cities-these crimes are usually in areas where they have defunded the police sadly
I am off to check out the post you shared

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow, that's extreme...locking up candy??? I've not seen that here. They tend to lock up razor blades and some cosmetics and some meds, oh, and inkjet printer ink...those are the only things that I buy that I've noticed locks on. How very inconvenient...and most stores are understaffed as it is, so to have to wait for them to come and unlock something, etc., well, yes, I'd go elsewhere to shop too. Sad state of affairs in this world. Praying for our nation to wake up!!

Jon said...

It's a shame that items have to be locked up due to the rapid increase in crime. It's expensive for the store owners and annoying for those of us who don't steal. I'm glad that I do all my shopping online now, since I've been plagued with physical limitations.
BTW Thank you for mentioning my latest blog post "Sweet Memories".

Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Smith said...

I haven’t seen any lock-ups here but I haven’t been out shopping much other than a grocery store. Such inconvenience will drive send to Amazon!

Bijoux said...

I’ve noticed it in stores located in high crime areas. Deodorant was the oddest lock up I’ve ever seen. It used to be just the more expensive items that could be easily hidden in a pocket, like printer ink. But candy prices have become outrageous, so I’m not surprised!

MadSnapper said...

Walmart now has a lot of things tagged and/or locked up, Dollar General had to close their self check out due to shoplifting, and now can't get help. all of this is costing us the buyers, money because it cost more to lock them up and tag them. I have not been in any other store but Publix, and have not seen it there yet. I shop Walmart and Amazon, the other stores are way to high priced. Publix is high but there are 3 items I have to buy there because WM doesn't have them

Jeanie said...

This is something I haven't seen in my area yet (of course, I don't go to CVS so maybe it's nationwide.) Interestng.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It stuns me that theft is such a problem. Whether it’s a reflection of poverty or simply dishonest people I am not sure. I was especially shocked recently when in a Mennonite store with Miriam buying fabric, and there was a sign asking people not to take fat quarters without paying for them. They are easy to slip into a bag or a purse, and apparently that’s what people have been doing. I hope they enjoy those few dollars they saved by cheating another.

Boud said...

I never shop in stores, so I haven't encountered this. It seems a bit self defeating if it drives customers away.