Pages

Friday, September 13, 2024

Friday Funnies

This week has been all about birds viewed from our apartment window overlooking the Nashua River in Nashua, NH.

Aside from Mourning Doves flocking to a dead tree along the river bank, there's been a group of Mallard ducks on the dock. It isn't really a dock, just a grate on the river, but lately it's been a popular early morning gathering spot for them, but without coffee cups.
After sitting a while, several of this group left for a river swim, females outnumbered the males by a 2:1 ratio.
(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay was co-written by singer Otis Redding and guitarist Steve Cropper. Redding recorded it twice in 1967, three days before his death in a Dec plane crash. Released in 1968, the song became the first posthumous No. 1 U.S. single and reached No. 3 on the UK singles chart. Redding is regarded as one of the greatest singer-songwriters in the history of American popular music and an influencing artist in soul music and rhythm and blues. Redding was 26 when he died, eight years after another plane crash killed three rock 'n roll legends at young ages: Buddy Holly (22), Ritchie Valens (17), The Big Bopper (22). 

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
Be careful out there, because . . .
Today, is the first Friday the 13th in 2024. The second and final one is Friday, Dec 13.

21 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Twenty-two years ago today I met Miriam on Friday the Thirteenth. Not a bad day at all if you ask me.

Bijoux said...

I did not know that about Redding. How sad.

Tom said...

...thanks for the trivia update! Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Linda P said...

You certainly have good views out of your apartment windows. The photos of the birds in the last two blog posts give an idea of what you see around your area :)

Sandra said...

That, in my opinion, is a great song. You do have wonderful views from your apartment.

Anvilcloud said...

Oh yes, so it is Friday 13. May we all have a ducky day nevertheless.

MadSnapper said...

I like that fake dock. and of course the ducks...

mimmylynn said...

When I opened your blog and saw the ducklings I wenr, " AAAaaw." How adorable.

Ginny Hartzler said...

We have Mallards around here. They are so much fun to watch! Several males will tend to chase a female till they wear her out!

Barbara Rogers said...

Love that song. The mallards were diving with their tails up in the air this afternoon at our lake where I eat my lunch. Such pretty fowl they are!

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely images! And an old time favorite song. Happy weekend to you both.
https://www.anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Love that song and watching mallards. ;)

Jon said...

I like the mallards - - so peaceful and graceful in the water.
OMG! December 13th is my birthday!!

Marie Smith said...

And before you know it, that second Friday 13th will be here. Time is flying. It is lovely to take the time to watch the ducks!

Jeanie said...

I just love seeing the ducks. They make me smile.

gigi-hawaii said...

Never heard of Redding. I do know Holly and Valens.

photowannabe said...

I love the trivia info and of course the ducks sitting on the dock of the bay...river...
Enjoy your weekend.
Sue

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Love seeing the ducks! What a fun place to watch birds! Oh, I never realized that about Otis Redding. I mean, I know the song, but I never knew he had died even before it was published! Wow!!! Where was I? I was a senior in high school in 1968...I guess I was just too busy doing "senior stuff" to realize that had happened. Very interesting. Thanks for letting us know! Huh, I still can't believe I didn't know that! Learn something new every day!

diane b said...

Interesting facts about that song. It sure is a catchy tune. Love the ducks on the dock.

nick said...

The ducks on either side look as if they're guarding the one in the middle!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Amazing how active those ducks are and without their morning coffee too! Really, seriously, what nice birdwatching you have near you.