Pages

Friday, September 6, 2024

Friday Funnies

The previous post mentioned Pop's Clam Shack, a popular seafood eatery in Alton Bay, NH, where customers lined up to await opening time, ourselves included.

Waiting in line for a food order is nothing new — whether it's a human or vehicular line-up.

We experienced a very long human line a couple of years ago on a road trip to Maine. As shown below, the line at Red's Eats is never-ending in summer months.
Red's Eats in Wiscasset, ME, with customer line-up
Located at the foot of 41 Water and Main St in Wiscasset, ME, Red's Eats has been called the most famous restaurant in the state on Route 1 for over 80 years. Red's advertises itself as the world's best lobster shack. A claim supported by Down East Magazine's Best of Maine 2024 issue where readers named Red's Eats — Best Lobster Roll and Best Lobster Shack.  
Red's is a small shack with no indoor dining
A summertime legend, this shack is the size of a small house trailer. There's a single window where orders are placed; customers are called when their food is ready. Opened in Boothbay, ME, in 1938, it moved to the north end of Wiscasset in 1954. Like Pop's, it's also a family-run business handed down through several generations. Dedicated customers return each season for the famous lobstah roll or the views of the Sheepscot River, maybe both as dining here is al fresco.
Chick-fil-A in Lancaster, PA, with drive-up line
Unlike the family-run one-of-a-kind, Pop's and Red's, another eatery also has lines — but instead of people, it's vehicles. On road trips, we've seen line-ups at nearly every one.

Other differences: unlike Pop's and Red's, which specialize in seafood, Chick-fil-A, Inc. (a play on the word filet) specializes in chicken. And, it's open year-round vs. seasonally and has indoor seating (unlike Pop's and Red's). Headquartered in College Park, GA, it's the largest American fast food chain specializing in chicken sandwiches and operating 3,059 restaurants across 48 states. Company values are influenced by the religious beliefs of its late founder, S. Truett Cathy, a devout Southern Baptist. Restaurants are closed on Sundays, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day. During the Christian season of Lent, Chick-fil-A promotes fish sandwiches in keeping with the tradition of meat abstinence.

We've eaten at Pop's and Red's, but never at Chick-fil-A and have no plans to change that. For us, some places are well worth the wait, others not so much.

Your Turn — Would you or have you waited in line at a local eatery including Chick-fil-A?

Enjoy Your Weekend
Temps in the low to mid 70s in Nashua, NH, perfect for a day trip

24 comments:

Tom said...

...I've have never eaten at Chick-fil-A and have no plans to change that.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I can’t think of any food, nor the reputation of any restaurant, that would cause me to line up to get in.

Boud said...

Chick fil a is anti lgbtqa+ and supports legislation which discriminates. Not ever a place I'd go to.

Bijoux said...

My kids LOVED Chick FIL A, as do most people I know. I don’t eat fast food, so I don’t go there anymore. However, they treat their employees very well and have the absolute best customer service of any establishment in the 21st century, so I’m a fan, even though not a customer. When I was in those lines for my kids, it was the most efficiently run operation I’ve ever seen.

kathyinozarks said...

If the food is that awesome-which seems to be-it may be worth the long wait in line. I don't think we would do it though Happy Friday and weekend

Kathy G said...

If the food is good enough I will wait in a line for it. (But in my opinion Chick-fil-A isn't worth it.)

MadSnapper said...

no, we do not wait in lines for food, Bob will not even wait 30 minutes to get in steak restaurant and he loves steak. he is not the normal person, and I have to do what he does or does not do.. he will not eat chic Fi la, I love their chicken sandwich. I have waited in the pick up lane for burgers but usually only 5 or 6 cars

Ginny Hartzler said...

So do you not like Chik-Fil-A and if not, why? We have one here and have eaten there, but not in awhile. How on earth can Red's keep up with the long lines and orders with such a small place? I wonder how many people work inside there...

Anvilcloud said...

Not that I have the opportunity uop here, but I be unlikely to line up for any of them. I hear good things about Chick Fil A but bad things about their politics, especially as it relates to some marginalized groups.

Sandra said...

As Boud said and for the same reasons, no. I have waited for a seat in a restaurant many times and would probably wait at Reds as long as the weather is nice.

Linda G said...

We are at Red’s in July 2019. We had a 2-hour wait for food. Was it worth the wait? Yes, delicious!

Marcia said...

We've eaten often at CHik Fila when we lived in MD. Never experienced much of a wait because we always go in. The exception was Covid times when dining room not open and then there was a line.

Carola Bartz said...

I've never eaten at a Chick-fil-A and like you, I don't have any plans to change that. I'm not into fast food anyway. However, a seafood shack is something different, but we seldom have to line up for that since we always seem to turn up at non-busy times. The only time that we lined up was in Philadelphia at Jim's Philly Cheesesteak (I don't recall the exact name) many years ago and it was worth it.

Rita said...

Nope. No more than a cuple of cars in a drive through. Those places must be very popular.

Jeanie said...

Before I knew about Chick-Fil-ets wretched stance on human rights and politics I had a sandwich at one once. It was perfectly adequate. Probably better than McDonald's, not worth a wait or the money. Now, I would not go through the door (much as I feel about Hobby Lobby -- a desperate last resort). But I WOULD stand in a long line for a really great meal if I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. (Or if there was no choice!)

gigi-hawaii said...

I wouldn't stand in line for anything. There is Chick-Fil-A in Hawaii, but I have no desire to eat their sandwiches.

Linda P said...

In England we used to stand politely in line at food stalls. I'm not sure young people do that now. Good food always draws a crowd if it's tasty and well made.

nick said...

I've never seen lines like that at any restaurant in the UK. People simply wouldn't be prepared to wait that long. I'm astonished.

Sandy said...

I would never eat a Chick-fil-A. Troubled by extreme politics/hatred of anyone they think is different. Cute lobster shack, but not sure I would wait in a line that long. But, it must be quite a tradition.
Sandy's Space

tz_garden said...

I've not had Chick-fil-A, and we do have a newer one in our town. Now, sign me up for that lobster roll @ Red's. That would be a must have for me. I might go for lunch and buy an extra one for dinner!

Linda said...

My friend, Brenda and I eat at Chik-fil-A every Tuesday! We love it! And YES!!! They are so effiecient and the customer service is above and beyond. And their Chik-fil-A sauce???? Who knew I would love it so much??

Rob Lenihan said...

Pop's Clam Shack and Red's Eats both sound like places I'd love to try. Chick-fil-A is never going to happen.

David said...

Hi Beatrice, While we would much rather have a lobster roll at Red's, that option doesn't exist in East Tennessee. If it did, my wife would be there at least once a week! We have eaten at Chick-fil-a and we feel positive about the chain. Everything is clean, the chicken sandwiches are moist and tasty, the employees are the nicest you'll ever encounter at a fast food chain...and those lines are freaky fast. Their system is really quick. A 5 minute wait is fairly unusual. We don't eat fast food often, but Chick-fil-a is on our 'thumbs up' list. I like the spicy chicken sandwich...which is just a little spicy. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

baili said...

Wow this is long line

Yet the food must be worth it as you mentioned Dorothy :)
Hope you will visit Chic Fol soon 😊