Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Coming Clean

This is a very clean post all about an item that I most often buy on our travels.

It's easy to figure out what I'm talking about from this photo. The name says it all.

Time to confess that I'm a bit of a soap shopaholic.

I've been buying soap bars on our U.S. road trips for the past few years. Oddly enough, I didn't buy a single bar on our trips abroad last fall. There was no special reason, other than I had many still unused at home, including ones from the UK. The soaps in Amalfi, Italy, famous for the Italian lemon liquor, Limoncello, were all lemon scented. While I do like lemons, it's just not my favorite scent for soap.

The bar soaps are not bought as souvenirs but for personal use, it just may take a hile to use them, but I have choices.. It's been several years since I've bought an off-the-shelf bar in a retail store, and I have no idea of the cost savings or not.

Overall, the benefits of buying bar soap are that not only is it useful (as this post will show) but eventually it will be all gone. Of course, for myself that means more buys..

I recently purchased a couple more bars on our recent trip to North Conway, NH, which were added to others in my collection, here's ⬇︎ a few of them.
Besides being a consumable purchase, there's another benefit. Many of these soaps are very fragrant with lavender and pine among my favorites. When storing bars of soap that haven't been pre-packaged and are usually homemade, I wrap them lightly in tissue paper and place in dresser drawers. Some pine-scented bars are stored with linens. It's such a refreshing scent when the sheets are taken out for use. 
Some bars have, like the ones above, remain in their original wrappings, as I found them interesting to show where the soaps originated, also as I already have many unwrapped bars.

Speaking of unwrapped bars, there's an ongoing question: Should a bar soap be stored naked or does it last longer if unwrapped before storing? 
A friend once advised me to never store soap in a box, but to remove outer wrapping and let the bar breathe

The theory is that a naked soap bar continues to dry if air is it airs for 6-8 weeks to harden the ingredients, which makes it less likely to dissolve with use. I've never done a scientific test, but believe this is true. I do this with all of the bar soaps I use and they do last quite a while. 

There's also some other useful tips: keep bar soap in a cool place away from direct sun; use a soap dish with drainage; don’t keep bar soap on a metal surface; use a washcloth as it creates later using less soap overall.

Did you know that cooler showers save soap? 
Hotter water makes bar soap dissolve faster and requires more effort to make lather. A cool shower helps bar soap last longer by allowing it to maintain its shape and consistency for a longer time.

How long can soap be stored?
That depends on ingredients used in making the soap. Some commercial bar soaps include an expiration date. None of the ones I've bought over the years have such information. Many haven't even come in a box.

The average time to store bar soap is estimated to be a few years. It might lose fragrance, become discolored, and lather less, but is useable and safe. Scented soaps with an essential oil like rosemary or lavender oil can lose fragrance in 3-6 months, but the soap is still safe.

Can bacteria grow on bar soap?
Yes, bacteria can thrive on bar soap, but usually this doesn't stop the soap from
getting you clean; it won't make you sick.

Overall, the #1 rule for bar soap is — keep it dry. This is considered the biggest factor in maintaining the life of a soap bar. Also to allow proper drainage of water around it. The more drainage and air flow a soap bar is has the longer it will last remaining firm, less messy and easier to use. 

How to keep soap dry? — Store on a soap dish
Washboard style wooden soap dishes work great. The washboard surface elevates the bar so water drips off. I’ve used a teak wooden soap disk, similar to this one, for years; it hasn't warped or discolored. Some folks store soap in a cardboard box. Ideally, it should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Never store soap in an air-tight container.

You probably know that soap bars have lots of other household uses aside from than bathing, here's a few, several of which I've used often, maybe you as well.

Unstick a zipper - If a zipper is stuck, run a dry bar of soap over the teeth to make it glide easier. This is the tip I've used most often !

Fix sticky drawers and sliding doorsIf drawers or sliding doors won't open smoothly, rub a bar of soap on the drawer edges or along the grooves of the door tracks, the door will slide on the track again.

Make furniture assembly easierStarting screws into wood can be hard. Make it easier, coat the screw threads with bar soap. 

Loosen a stiff lock - If a door lock is stiff, drag the key over a dry bar of soap to coat the surface, insert the coated key in the lock, turn to make the lock easier to use.

Prevent foggy mirrors and glasses - When a mirror is fully dry, rub a bar of soap over the glass. Don't add water, just buff away streaks with a dry cloth. This also works well on eyeglasses and sunglasses.

Stop squeaks - No WD-40 handy? Rub a bar of soap along creaking or squeakly door hinges and floorboards. Test the squeak; reapply as needed.

Pinpoint a leakTo detect where a tire is leaking, dampen a bar of soap and rub over the area. The soapy film will create a bubble when air escapes. 

Remove tough stainsSome soaps are promoted specifically for stain removal, you can use bar soap to treat oily and muddy stains; use one with no added conditioners.

Make hands easier to cleanBefore digging in the garden or doing an auto repair, run fingernails over a bar of soap to prevent soil or grease from lodging under nails. Because the soap slivers stay put, you’ll generate suds when cleaning up.

Soften shoesIf shoes need softening, rub bar soap on the area that’s likely to create blisters; feel the leather soften up.

Remove wallpaperRather than spend hours removing, mix soapy water in a spray bottle and spritz. Wallpaper will start peeling, saving time and work.

Relieve Insect bitesItchy and painful insect bites are annoying. Use a bar of soap,  wet the soap, rub on the bite and the itchiness should stop.
Admittedly, I won't be using the road trip soap buys for these uses, and will use retail bought bars instead. We're going on a couple of upcoming road trips. I can foresee adding a few more soap bars to my collection.

Thanks for fellow blogger (Boud) here's something very helpful that you can do with unused hotel bar soaps or purchased soaps — donate them. We've done the same in the past, but no longer collect any travel bars, many lodgings now use refillable soap dispensers. (The same applies to toothpaste tubes that dentists often dispense.)

Your turn — What item do you buy most often on a trip?

29 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Here’s another use for bar soap. Rub a little on the ceiling of a birdhouse. It prevents wasps from attaching their nests. I don’t routinely buy items on a road trip, but if there were one item it would be books.

Tom said...

...I have been an Ivory guy for year and don't plan on changing.

Marie Smith said...

Great information about the uses of bar soap! Thank you for sharing.

Boud said...

Interesting essay! For people who find themselves with a collection of small hotel sized soaps and shampoos, your local women's shelter can use them, just fyi.

MadSnapper said...

I don't travel so that is the answer to that question. I have allergies to scents and all soap is on the no list except Ivory. I even have unscented Ivory soft soap in my bathroom.
before the scent allergy I used to use the bar soap in my draweres. as for the list of things to use it for I had no idea on most of them, the sticky drawer I knew of the rest are new. you can also rub a candle up and down on drawers and the scented candles are good in drawers. I miss all the scents. happy soap hunting.

Rita said...

I don't travel, but I have always used bar soap in the shower. I have my own little collection of handmade and other special bar soaps. Also have a collection of shampoo bars, too. I keep them all in two pretty boxes in their original packaging. They make the bathroom smell so nice. I had heard of just a few of the hints for bar soap use, but not most of the ones you listed. Wow! Happy hunting! ;)

Sandra said...

Sadly, scent brings on an asthmatic creation for me. I wish I could use scent. I don't travel anymore, so I have nothing to add.

photowannabe said...

I too have scent allergies so the heady fragrances do me in.
We have quite a collection of travel size soaps which I do use and many we have given to shelters for their use.
Great post today. Your soaps are a wonderful remembrance of your travels.
Sue

Bijoux said...

I only use liquid soap products and made my husband stop using bar soap when we had our shower remodeled with glass enclosure because bar soap always left a film on our old shower. I'm mean! My mother had probably 300 bars of soap, some from trips. I donated most of it to a battered women's shelter, but did keep some to use in drawers.

My most purchased item while traveling would be wine!

Jon said...

I never knew there were so many uses for soap.- - and I never thought collecting soap was an interesting possibility (Mermaid Kisses sounds intriguing....)
Unfortunately, I usually buy inexpensive soap at Walmart. Long, long ago K-Mart used to carry a cheap brand of peach-scented soap. It smelled so good that I kept bars of it in my dresser drawers. The scent remained potent for several years, but finally faded out.
That's my exciting soap story (*smile*).

Marcia said...

I often will buy one magnet to remember the place by. I like the sopa that Hampton Inns supplies and often bring that home since it likely gets tossed after our visit. Those bars are great to rental places where you have to supply your own soap.

Jeanie said...

I never use bar soap, though I buy (and receive) it for gifts -- and generally give away the ones I receive or stash them in the sweater or linen drawer. But I do have that soap dish as Rick is a fan. What I really loved here are all the tips of other ways you can use the soap! I didn't really know any except the zipper!

DUTA said...

I am a fan of soap bars, (especially of the Ayurvede sort). I use liquid soap too, but don't give up the bars.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great list of uses. I tend to use liquid soap, and dispensers for most washing. But I've received some wonderful gift bars, which have scents like Chamomile or Blue Bonnet. So I keep them around to just enjoy as I pass by.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Looking at these photos of all your fabulous soaps, I want so badly to smell them!!! My favorite is lavender, as well!! I think my purchases are lotions, especially vanilla and lavender. Reading about all these soap uses was fun, I did not know many!

Linda G. said...

I have purchased bar soaps, while traveling, as well as take home hotel soaps. I am beginning to run out…time to shop for soap :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Marshalls has nice soaps, I love goats milk bars. I also love going in there and smelling all the bars...some of the argon oil bars smell heavenly too...:)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful post!
I love soap. My all time favorite was made by a local soap factory in Winooski, Vermont. It was a bergamot mix. The only soap that didn't make me itch or dry out my skin.
They changed the recipe and ruined it. I think maybe too much glycerin was added.

David said...

Hi Beatrice, My wife buys 'special' soaps for the guest bathroom and occasionally for herself. She's also been known to buy fancy soap/locally sources soap as little gifts to friends and family. She also favors scented candles which make me almost gag. Must be a gal thing. Give me a hot shower and a bar of dial soap and I'm a happy camper. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Debby said...

I guess I'm not much of a souvenir shopper. But the idea of soaps is a good one, and I do love scented soaps. I have used the soaps to scent drawers.

Anvilcloud said...

We stopped using soap -- bar soap -- quite some time ago. It wasn't that long ago that I finally parted with a bar that had been residing on my shelf for more than 15 years.

nick said...

When I'm on holiday I seldom buy anything but food and drink - and admission tickets! Jenny likes to buy greetings cards, ceramics, scarves and books. I read all the alternative uses for soap with interest. I must try some of them.

Emma Springfield said...

I have read that Irish Spring is a deterrent to termites and other insects in the yard. I am going to give it a try.

Christina said...

Fabric! I buy some wherever I go. Usually quilting cottons, sometimes dressmaking fabrics.

I love bar soap but rarely buy any - I make my own. I used to make pretty soaps with colourful swirls and stripes etc but now, I just make them plain, with my favourite scents. I must send you some! I'll just have to make something a little more special before I post it out though.

I store my soaps unwrapped in a dark room, they do dry out and last longer.

Collecting soaps on your travels is such a lovely thing to do!

DeniseinVA said...

This is fascinating! Great article! I enjoyed collecting soap from our travels also. My one indulgence is sending for soap from this company in Napa Valley. It is the most wonderful soap and is the only one I have found where my hands don't get chapped using it in the wintertime. The most divine scents also.

baili said...

very interesting post dear Dorothy ;)

you have quite a collection of pretty fragrant soaps wow

thanks for sharing the tips ,they can be useful for many of us . we buy soap with monthly grocery such as ten or so ,they last for the whole month ,few remain unused but hubby don't count them and buy same number each month so this is how they get stored .

oh yes hot water melts the soaps soon . our soap consumption vary season to season and in winter we use less .
i too like fragranced soaps though i quit using soap for the bath almost twenty years ago ,i still enjoy their smell .
best of luck for the future trips ! safe travels
we prefer to buy crockery ,clothes and shoes during travels and different gifts for family

blessings

baili said...

forgot to mention Books :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I absolutely love this post. I recently promised myself to stop over-using (and thus cheapening) the word "love" in my comments and posts but honestly it fits here. I am a big believer in using bath soap and have bought many handmade bars at craft fairs (Eugene Oregon has a great Saturday Market). And I certainly collected hotel bars back in the day. I donated spares to our Special Education teachers who used them for rewards. ... But all that and I never ever thought about collecting them on purpose as travel memories .. a fabulous idea, thank you for sharing it. And some of the hints were new to me too.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

PS: To answer your last question, I'm not a souvenir shopper at all. We live in small homes. Thus, memories that will eventually be used up would be perfect!