Pages

Friday, April 28, 2023

Friday Funnies

Snacks are something many of us have enjoyed, even if we know better about the non-healthy aspects. In some ways, snacks are like a guilty pleasure defined as something you enjoy, even if it's embarrassing or shameful to admit liking. (We're only talking about snacks here, folks.)

Yes, I'm guilty of snack pleasures too: crunchy Cheetos and popcorn (never movie popcorn).

So, it was a surprise to see a display of these products. Does this mean, we can feel less guilty when snacking?

LesserEvil snack products
LesserEvil is a New-England company that's headquartered  in Danbury, CT. It was started in 2005 by Chares Coristine to provide better alternatives to some less healthy snacks. While the snacks lived up to their name, it was found that they weren't much healthier compared to the competitors. In 2012, the company committed to using only premium organic ingredients that were minimally processed. Except for international-sourced oils and Himalayan pink salt, the company tries to locally source within the U.S. (Full disclosure, I haven't tried any of these products.)

Here's some new-to-me things I learned about snack foods. 

What's the most popular junk food in the U.S.?
Potato chips, ice cream, candy bars, and cookies. It seems that Americans ♥️ junk food. 

Where's the snack food capital of the U.S.?
According to many sources, it's Hanover, PA, home to companies like Utz Brands Inc and Snyder's of Hanover. The town of Hanover and several counties around it are the biggest producers of potato chips worldwide. 

What city eats the most potato chips?
Detroit is known for cars and Motown. But, its third claim to fame is potato chip consumption capital of the country. Detroit folks consume an average of 7 pounds of chips a year compared to the rest of the country which eats 4 pounds.

Internet source
What's the largest selling snack food in the U.S.?
No surprise that it's Doritos. These crunchy corn tortilla chips are the top-searched snack food inover 20 states.

What's the oldest snack food?
Popcorn holds that title. Archaeological sites in Peru and Mexico recently yielded 7,000 year old maize husks said to be evidence of popcorn preparation and consumption by ancient indigenous peoples.

What's the most unhealthy snack food?
Any baked chips as these are highly processed and often lower in fat so you consume large quantities without ever feeling full.

What are the most unhealthy American snacks?
Corn based snacks, like Fritos and Cheetos, which are made of highly processed corn, contain little to no nutritional value. Once corn snacks are fried, loaded with sodium and tossed in cheese, they become some of the unhealthiest things you can eat.

And, now I know more about snacks and so do you.
Your turn —do you have a guilty snack pleasure?   (this is a no-judgment blog)

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
Snack on if you like (calories don't count on weekends, right?)

25 comments:

Bijoux said...

I will treat myself to a single serving of a crunchy snack with my lunch. I’ve not tried Lesser Evil because I don’t like the flavor of coconut or avocado oils. My faves are Whole Grain Tostitos, Trader Joe’s sweet potato crackers, and Pea Snaps.

CrystalChick said...

When we get sandwiches at a local deli, sometimes Ron will bring home smaller bags of Doritos. It's a good thing they don't have the large bag because I'd probably be very tempted to eat more. Potato chips in general are a bit of a weakness. I make microwave popcorn sometimes when we're watching a show on t.v. At Trader Joe's I get seaweed snacks, and 'Inner Peas' and various nuts. And I like chocolate a lot! (shhh!)
~Mary

My name is Erika. said...

Ice cream is junk food? OK it does have lots of sugar in it, but still, it's a dairy product right? Smile. I don't know why I've missed your last few posts. I apologize. Lemonade popcorn, that actually sounds weird but interesting too. hugs-Erika

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I'm not sure it's a guilty pleasure, although it does contain a fair amount of sodium - but my snack weakness is olives.

MadSnapper said...

the only one of these I can eat with IBS is popcorn, I only eat that a couple times a month, as my evening meal. popcorn has zero nutritional value and its only value is fiber related. my favorite is cheetos and fritos. do not like doritos at all. I found out about the popcorn because i had stale and researched to see if it would harm the birds/squirrels. bread is a no, popcorn is not good for them because it has no nutritional values. lots of info here I did not know. I love olives, and can eat a few of those, i saw that in Davids comment. my snacks are all fruit made into slush in water or soy milk.

Lois Evensen said...

Interesting post. At our age, our snacks consist of protein drinks and steady energy bars. ;)

Sandra said...

I like almost all of what you listed but don't eat it. Not because I tell myself I shouldn't but because I don't crave it. We also will have chips with a deli sandwich and I really like them, just don't crave them.

Linda P said...

We enjoy a few olives or mixed nuts for a snack. I expect you know that chips are called crisps in the UK. There are many flavours. We usually have packets of crisps in the store cupboard.

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't know why snacks are considered junk food. They keep me alive and bring joy to my boring life.

photowannabe said...

I try to not have potato chips in the house because I just can't eat one...
We do eat almonds and trail mix as a snack too.
Things that are no good for me are soooo tempting.
Sue

DUTA said...

I usually keep no proccessed foods in the house. Once in 7-10 days, I'll have some 'street food' which is mainly half a portion of felafel, with addition of potatoe chips.
I used to make popcorn when I was on a diet (it's low calorie stuff), but not anymore. I got bored. Fruit is the best and the healthiest food!

nick said...

It depends what you mean by snack of course. Any small item of food can be a snack, and not necessarily unhealthy things like fries or popcorn. My favourite snacks are chocolate chip buns and glacé cherry buns (which Jenny bakes), traybakes, brazil nuts, cashew nuts, dried dates, dried figs and bombay mix.

William Kendall said...

I am indifferent to popcorn.

Anvilcloud said...

Sue loves movie popcorn. It's essential. Except we don't seem to go any more.

Lee said...

I'm about to grab myself a chocolate-coated ice cream on a stick! And, while eating it I will have no feelings of guilt...just enjoyment! :)

Enjoy your weekend, Beatrice...take good care..and enjoy your snacks, too! :)

Rita said...

I used to eat more snacks of all kinds but the last three years on Keto my only treats are the occasional Keto ice cream or a Keto chocolate bar. Although once in a blue moon I like french fries--like a couple times a year. :)

Emma Springfield said...

Chocolate. I especially like dark chocolate. Because I am keeping to a low carb diet I have found low carb chocolate snacks that taste good.

Jeanie said...

That name is brilliant. I hope their marketer got a raise for that one!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

My life has just changed forever! Cheese Puffs😢!

I am trying the DASH diet for a while, see how it goes.

Calories do count on the weekend, but they only tell you on Mondays the results. Too late by then. :)

DeniseinVA said...

Most definitely a fun read Dorothy, thanks for doing the research!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Thank you for the info. I do like Fritos and plain Tortilla chips, the kind that are not flavored with anything extra. I do eat a few potato chips occasionally with lunch if I am having a sandwich. But I try to eat more salads for lunch. I love popcorn, but it sticks in my teeth and is too salty, so I don't eat it often. I like peanuts for a snack, or peanut butter on bread or crackers. Sometimes I just grab a handful of walnuts or pecans. I generally don't do a lot of snacks between meals, and try to stay away from sweets. (try). I did bake some homemade peanut butter cookies today and had to sample them to make sure they were good. LOL. I enjoyed your post as always. You come up with some good stuff!

Rob Lenihan said...


Wow, thanks for the facts about snacks!

Who knew Detroit loved potato chips so much? I used to eat Fritos and popcorn all the time when I was growing up.

I avoid most of that stuff and when I do feel the urge for snacks I reach for pretzels. I tell myself they're less harmful than the other snack foods...I hope.

Doris said...

Why am I suddenly wanting to open a bag of potato chips?? =)

Christina said...

I love sweet and salty popcorn (that's sweet and salty on the same portion of popcorn) but I am easily tempted by many salty snacks...

baili said...

guilty pleasure ,so well said dear Dorothy :)

in my youth there were less fast food around except fritter made of yellow lentil powder with filling of mashed potatoes and spices and samosa same thing almost ,i could not eat them because of my very delicate health condition but still i consumed whenever i could and this was lot for my poor stomach to develop ulcer :(

i enjoyed learning how people still take chance and risk health for their pleasing their taste buds :)
i left all this decade ago ,i had no choice