Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Anonymous Lately

But it's not by choice.

Internet source
Recently, if I posted a comment on your blog, my comment name might have displayed as Anonymous instead of my regular (alias) name of Beatrice.

It's annoying, but at least has only been happening when using the iPad to comment. It's not my favorite device to blog read and comment. My fingers go faster than my brain resulting in typos. Some are corrected before posting, others missed and escape to a comment, my past and future apologies.

Back to the anonymity issue, which as stated doesn't happen when using other devices, like the desktop Mac or notebook PC. This sudden turn of events was the result of trying something new and, not finding it useful, reversing the action taken— but not with total success on the iPad.
Blogger NavBar normally displays at top left of a blog
While I'm signed into my blog, the blogger Navbar (see above) no longer displays. Yet, I can access blogs, delete spam comments, and even leave comments on some blogs—not all. 

My comment name, Beatrice, shows up on some blogs. On others, it now displays as Anonymous. Some blogs don't accept Anonymous comments, so I'm directed to sign into Blogger. This doesn't work as I'm already signed into Google (only when using the iPad).

Recently, I tried what's called Private browsing (Safari and Firefox browsers), more commonly known as Incognito mode (Chrome browser)—different names, same function.

Internet source
In these modes, the browser doesn't keep a log of sites visited, cached pages, or saved information such as credit card numbers and addresses. It also prevents information from sessions from being stored in the cloud. 

As you probably know, when you're browsing online, companies and websites use tracking devices, cookies, to keep up with digital activity from site to site for the purpose of targeted advertising. Depending on the browser and personal choices, private or incognito mode is said to reduce cross-site information and tracking across websites.

Going private/incognito lets you use a shared computer or someone else's device and prevents your passwords, search records, and browsing history being saved on that device. Private browsing can also hide your searches and browsing activity from others who use your computer, but doesn't mean your activity can't be tracked. 

Private browsing doesn't completely hide your internet activity from third-parties—websites you visit, advertisers, internet service provider (ISPs), the government, or even hackers. An ISP provider can record a user’s online activity regardless of browser privacy setting. Your IP address, identity, and browsing activity are still visible to third parties. So, it's not a good choice when trying to avoid being tracked online. Private browsing won’t protect you from viruses or malware.

There's another problem. Since websites can’t modify information stored on your device, services normally available on some sites may work differently. You may have to re-enter passwords or sign-ins. That's what happened to me and why I didn't keep using it.

Even after I ditched Private mode, some sign-ins had to be re-entered and Blogger has been problematic only on the iPad. When I returned to non-Private mode on the desktop, everything, including Blogger, came back OK.

Private/incognito mode can keep your browser history private, that’s about all it does. For real privacy, experts suggest Tracking Protection or browse with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service. 

Anyone else who has used Private/Incognito mode—your thoughts ?

In another annoying, and recent blogger issue, which may or not be connected—has anyone else received this message when trying to post a comment?

An error occurred while trying to publish your comment

While not consistent, it's shown up on several blog sites. My workaround is to repeatedly click Publish which finally results in the comment being published or awaiting moderation (if that feature has been set). 

Here's another message received when trying to post a comment on a couple of blogs. Despite backing out and then returning to the page, a comment wouldn't post. I'm unsure if this is related to the privacy mode issue.
So, my apologies, in advance, to those bloggers whose blogs I've read, but have been unable to post a comment. If anyone has a work around to this one, please share and thanks.

YIKES—it's U.S. Tax Day, instead of Saturday, April 15. When the deadline is on a weekend, followed by a holiday, the Internal Revenue Service pushes the due date to Monday. But, Monday, April 17, was a Washington, DC holiday celebrating Emancipation Day (anniversary of the district ending slavery in 1862) taxpayers had more time. Tax Day began in 1913, with ratification of the 16th Amendment which gave Congress the authority to tax citizens' income. It was first date, then March 15 in 1918, and became April 15 when the IRS restructured in 1954.

Double 😳 YIKES—State income taxes are due too. It's nice to be free of that tax paid when we lived in NJ and VA. As of 2022, nine states don't have a state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wyoming. 

Anyone planning on a future move?

24 comments:

Bijoux said...

Yes, the iPad does seem to give me the most issues while logging and commenting. My issues have always happened when changing any setting or deleting cookies.

I also have the publish comment problems on a few blogs, but if I hit Publish 4 times, it finally goes through.

Anvilcloud said...

i use the iPad almost exclusively for commenting and sometimes even writing although that is more often in the edit stage. I don’t seem to run into your issues. I use Chrome.

William Kendall said...

I've had those error and whoops glitches periodically lately.

This morning at a couple of blogs that are different formatted nearly all comments are anonymous.

Boud said...

I encourage people who think they're going to post as anonymous to include some identifier in the body of the comment. Several people do that on my blog, because they don't have enough online presence to sign in on any of the choices.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The Oops error pop up has to do with the cookie settings.
It has been turning up again recently after over a year of not seeing it.
A VPN is the way to go.

Marcia said...

I gave up using Safari as my browser when it kept giving me problems with Blogger including commenting on blogs. I use Chrome now. I have gotten the error messages at times when I comment but like you, I try again. Sometimes even copying what I wrote and pasting it in again. I never use the iPad or iPhone to comment.

photowannabe said...

I too have gotten the error thing a few times lately and right now things seem to be going ok.
That's why I always sign my name at the end of my comment...just in case I come up as anonymous .
Crazy and frustrating..
Income taxes ugh !!!
Sue

MadSnapper said...

thanks for the warning, I have been thinking of trying the incognito and now I will not. I was unsure if i wanted to.. I get that error now and then, so it is not caused by the incognito issue.

Vee said...

Always trouble with blogging, and, yes, I have received those messages. This usually means leaving a comment saying that I have no urge to rewrite the comment I just lost. My opinion is that they want to get rid of the platform altogether and purposely make it as miserable as possible. Since my iPad is the only working device I have... when it goes, it's over. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Emma Springfield said...

I wondered why so many of my friends comment as anonymous. Now I know. I gratefully accept all comments that are polite and not trying to sell something.

Rita said...

I don't have an ipad and have made no changes but the last couple weeks I no longer get the email notifications (that I had still managed to be getting--didn't get all of them) of blog comments that I could respond to. I get absolutely nothing now. :( Blogger messes with everybody.

Jeanie said...

lifeandlinda.com's blog tutorials helped me out with that anonymous issue (it's a settings thing) but I don't use a tablet so I'm not sure it would work there. It's worth a look. Very frustrating!

Jon said...

You have recently been appearing as "anonymous" on my blog. I simply attributed it to the infuriating jungle of modern technology
I'm at least fifty years behind the times and don't understand any of it....(*smile*).

DUTA said...

Usually, I don't use the Ipad to place comments. Generally, most things are a matter of settings. When in trouble, it pays to check again the settings.

Red said...

You're not the only one with this problem. Hopefully blogger will get things patched up.

Lois Evensen said...

It's always something, isn't it.... :\

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I comment from my iPad but always create and post from my PC. One could be forgiven for thinking that an interview for a job with Blogger might go something like this:
Blogger: Do you know how to interfere with things that work perfectly well, and frustrate people?
Applicant: Oh yes, I am very good at that. Excellent in fact. Almost Machiavellian.
Blogger: Hired. Get busy right away.

baili said...

oh i am sorry that you are facing such issue after trying private browsing .
no i have never tried private browsing nor i know much about it honestly .
the truth i learn lot from your post today but i won't dare to try for only one reason because i am not confident my skills regarding internet use are much reliable . as i mentioned in 2009 when i start my blog created by my eldest son ,not just blog and internet but even computer was something totally new to me so i am still in awe of things about both actually .

hope your issue resolves soon my dear Dorothy ! i ma sure sooner r later you will find the way because you are too smart in such dealings as far as i know :)
though that error while comment appears often and i now try to copy my comment before publishing because of my comments are long and it hurts when they are gone
.hugs and blessings

Michelle said...

Technology.....always something going wrong!

nick said...

My recurring problem is that someone makes a comment on my blog, I receive the comment on email but not on the post itself, and I have to repost the comment under my own name. This happened once with a comment from yourself. I've no idea what causes this glitch and it's been going on for months now.

Rob Lenihan said...


I comment from my desktop. I haven't even tried commenting from my laptop or iPhone because I'm anticipating all kinds of grief.

But I'll get around to it...

David said...

Hi Beatrice, iPad? I love my desktop computer with the big screen and the separate full size keyboard with a mouse. But then again, as my son would tell me, I'm a technological relic! (I don't even have a 'Smart' phone) If the time comes when a desk top computer can't be purchased and I'm stuck with a laptop or iPad, that will be the end of my blogging...

As for taxes...the lack of state taxes is one of the key components that is drawing so many new residents to East Tennessee. New York and California are leading the stampede at the moment. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

DeniseinVA said...

I feel the same way. I love my iPad but don’t use it for catching up on comments and more importantly replying to them. My laptop is much faster and blogger has had some issues lately. When people have replaced devices or other browsers, I have had blogging friends comment that they can no longer leave a message on my blog. I’ve lost a few friends that way which makes me sad but it’s the price of being on here I suppose. I have had that “Whoops there was an error” message with particular blogs, only to find that afterwards my message actually got through. In the meantime, I have tried three or four times to leave that message before realizing that those messages have in fact been published.

I know your articles take a lot of time and research and I really appreciate you doing them. I always find them interesting and just wanted to tell you that now in case I forget at other times. ALWAYS appreciated :) Thanks Dorothy!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This was really helpful Dorothy -- I have bookmarked it for posterity as I've certainly had some of those problems with commenting on other's blogs. I read all the comments too something I don't normally do) and found good info there too. Thank you for doing all you do. You are a good citizen of Blogland!!