Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Falling in NH

It's true that the post title is somewhat misleading. No, it doesn't refer to an accident. Instead it refers to the only season known by two names — autumn 🍁 or fall🍂. 
Mine Falls Park, Nashua, NH
It's my favorite season by any name. Many others, like myself, seem to use the names interchangeably.

So, I wondered, is there any difference in referring to this season by either word ?
This photo with muted colors was straight out of camera (SOOC), no effects
The answer is no. They are used interchangeably to describe the time of year between summer and winter when temperatures start to decline. However, autumn is considered a more formal name for the season.

It turns out, this is another example of American English versus British English use. Americans (and Canadians) are said to use “fall” as it is simpler, but the those across the pond are known favor autumn because it is more regal and Latin.
By whatever name is used, the seasonal colors are lovely
Autumn is a relatively newer addition to the English language compared to “fall.” It wasn’t until the 1800s that British English began using autumn more. It's taken from the French, automne, which goes back to the Latin autumnus. the root of which means the passing of the year

Fall is thought to be a deviation of the Old English words fiaell and feallan, both of which mean to fall from a height. Most likely, the word fall comes from the fall of the leaves or falling of the leaves, phrases often used in poetry. 
Muted orange and brown are favorite seasonal colors
As if having two words describe the same season wan't enough, there's yet another contender.

Both autumn and fall were once known as harvest, technically the earliest name for this season. This term was somewhat confusing. That's because it not only referred to the time when people usually harvested crops, but also the actual harvesting of the crops.
Multi-color leaves last week in Mine Falls Park, Nashua, NH
It’s unclear why America usage favors fall over autumn. Some speculation is that has to do with daylight savings time when (most) U.S. states spring forward, and fall back.

This past weekend on a beautiful day (by any word), I spent time in Mine Falls Park. This 325-acre park of forest, river, and wetlands is located here in Nashua, NH. Its name derives from the 1700s, when low quality lead was supposedly mined from the island below the falls. 
Canal view in Mine Falls Park, Nashua, NH
The Nashua River and Nashua Canal both cut right through the park. In the early 1800s, the Nashua Manufacturing Company built the canal to channel water from the river downstream to a dam, creating a crucial power source for the mills. Workers used shovels and mules to dig a three-mile long canal, part of which is shown in the above photo.
Part of Millyard view from Mine Falls Park, Nashua, NH
Mine Falls Park has a network of some 9.7 miles of various forested trail types. It's a wonderful outdoors experience here in the state of New Hampshire’s second-largest city. There's an entrance within walking distance of the mill apartments where we live, formerly home to the Nashua Manufacturing Company. (FYI all the photos in this post were taken with a digital camera vs. cell phone—an Olympus Tough, all weather camera, max zoom 4X.)
Colors are not quite yet at peak in Mine Falls Park, Nashua, NH
Unlike some of the more northern areas of New England, colors here are not yet at full peak. That should be changing rapidly over the next couple of weeks. I'm planning more park walks. Of course, you're all welcome to return for a visit and view them in a future post.

After I shared this draft post with Grenville, he reminded me that autumn is foremost in the title of two popular songs, which you may recall—before or after reading this post. 

Autumn in New York, composed by Vernon Duke in Westport, CT, in the summer of 1934, became a popular song and jazz standard, first performed in the Broadway musical Thumbs Up! (December 1934). The only version to achieve chart success was sung by Frank Sinatra. Over the years, versions have been recorded by Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Bing Crosby, Stan Kenton, Sarah Vaughan, Diana Krall and Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald as a duet.

Autumn Leaves, another song and jazz standard, was composed in 1945 by Joseph Kosma with original lyrics by Jacques Prévert in French, titled Les Feuilles mortes, and later in English by American lyricist Johnny Mercer. An instrumental version by pianist Roger Williams was a no. 1 best-seller in the Billboard charts of 1955. Other singers like Bing Crosby, Doris Day and Frank Sinatra have recorded it, but a version by Nat King Cole remains a popular standard.

Which of these is your favorite or do you have another? 
You're quite welcome for the earworms.

26 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

By any name at all it is a wonderful time of the year and provides great relief from the oppressive heat of summer.

nick said...

I've no idea why we Brits refer to autumn rather than fall. Fall seems like the better term as it's when the leaves fall. I always use the memory aid "spring forward, fall back" when I'm changing the clocks.

Vee said...

No favorites as far as the songs go, though I prefer to use "autumn" above "fall." Still, I use both all through fall...errr autumn. What a lovely path you have to walk on. My only path is through the cemetery. How fabulous that your community is lagging behind, all the more autumn to enjoy.

Anvilcloud said...

I *think* but am not sure that I tend to often write autumn but say fall. Tendency only. I am sure that I interchange freely.

Barbara Rogers said...

No preference! Love these photos of leaf color! And more to come? I'm thrilled. Andy Williams version of Autumn Leaves has been my standby for some reason. I've enjoyed many others, and was proud to say I could play it on the piano at one time.

NewRobin13 said...

I have no preference, but I do use the word fall more often than autumn. Beautiful fall colors there!

William Kendall said...

I use both, but prefer autumn.

gigi-hawaii said...

Beautiful shots of the colors of Fall. I love "Autumn Leaves," performed on the harp. Gorgeous melody!

MadSnapper said...

no matter which name you call this, it is stunning to see and something I never tire of seeing. 38 years in Florida and I have only seen autumn in blog friends photos. Awesome views

Linda G. said...

You have taken beautiful pictures of the fall colors. We have enjoyed leaf peeping the past couple weeks. It seems like more leaves are changing color every day.

Bijoux said...

That’s interesting that Autumn is the more recent term used. I’d have thought the opposite. Beautiful photos, whatever you call the season.

Jon said...

Your beautiful photos capture the essence of my favorite season. I've always preferred to call it autumn. "Fall" sounds rather derogatory....or perhaps unromantic.
Your information on the history of these words is appreciated.

David said...

Hi Beatrice, Autumn Leaves vs. Autumn in New York...tough choice. Sinatra summed it up with hit cover versions of both songs! We love fall aka autumn. Nice bit of word research. We are expected to peak here in the East Tennessee valley this coming week. Too dry this year so the colors aren't as amazing as usual. We've already peaked in the Smokey's. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Sandra said...

I like Autumn Leaves by Nat King Cole best. Your photos are stunningly beautiful. I grew up using autumn but I do use both, probably autumn a bit more.

mimmylynn said...

Isn't fall (autumn) beautiful? My favorite time of year no matter what we call it.

My name is Erika. said...

That looks like such a pretty place to walk. I didn't know Nashua had such a big wild spot. It's nice to have one nearby, isn't it? Enjoy the rest of your week. hugs-Erika

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing the fall "foliage" delights with us. I never really heard it referred to as "foliage" until we moved to NH. Also, of course I always knew it was Autumn, but I tend to say Fall more often. But when my then 6 year old grandson corrected me to tell me it was the "autumnal equinox" and not fall, Grandma," I knew I'd have to be more precise in my verbiage around that smart little fella. He's 23 now, and I don't know what he calls it. I just wish he'd call, period. Anyway, you are living in the most beautiful place to be in the autumn so you can watch the gorgeous colorful foliage fall to the ground. The end. LOL.

Rita said...

I use them both, too.
Such beautiful pictures!
My very, very favorite season of the year. :)

diane b said...

WE never use the term 'Fall" in Australia but we do know that it means Autumn. Your Autumn colours are so beautiful your photos too. Here in the subtropics, we have very few deciduous trees, only those that have been introduced. However on the tablelands and highlands we do get colourful trees in Queensland but in the southern states they have autumn coloured leaves.

Jeanie said...

I use them both but tend a little more toward fall. But I didn't know the "mechanics" of the two, which was interesting. Add another song to your list -- "When October Goes." Barry Manilow had a version and so did (I think) Sarah Vaughn.

LL Cool Joe said...

I've only ever called this time of the year Autumn. I don't think anyone else I know in the UK calls it Fall. I must admit it's not my favourite season of the year, I love the summer. But it is very beautiful.

L. D. said...

You have shared some wonderful photos. I like the reflections in the water. I have used Autumn and Fall. I can't spell the first one very easily. Good blog.

Carola Bartz said...

I use both words as well, but have a slight tendency toward autumn. No matter which word one uses, it's a glorious season and definitely my favorite one as well. "Autumn Leaves" is a beautiful song - I love it most performed by Eva Cassidy, very moving.

Rob Lenihan said...

I tend to say "fall" but I have no preference.

These photos are beautiful. And I love "Autumn in New York," particularly the Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong version.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love the season by any name (it's just the one that comes after it that we try to avoid )..... I am definitely one who uses the terms interchangeably -- sometimes within the same paragraph in my posts. (I am consistent in being inconsistent!). Your pictures are beautiful illustrations of the glory of (whichever you want to call it today).

baili said...

thank you dear Dorothy for the Splendid sharing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was lost in the beauty of your post last day i heard songs as well which were so lovely too !

when i reach to comment section i had to get up to make tea for workers .
back to comment today :)
the park you mentioned is Huge indeed and reflects divine glory of the autumn ,i love both name actually because i love the season .
fortunately back in my native town i had witnessed some awesome falls and images printed on my mind is utterly beautiful and unforgettable .here in this small city i have a little garden and i am happy when my plants and tree show the color of fall for tiny period
hugs and blessings