Pages

Monday, August 16, 2021

Ready, Get Set, Go

As soon as possible to your local U.S. post office or any other place you buy first class postage stamps.

Why the rush?
In case you haven't heard, it's because currently in the U.S. the cost of a first class postage stamp is 55 cents, but in less then two weeks on Sunday, August 29, that same stamp will cost 58 cents — a 5.5 percent increase. This is the second USPS postage rate increase in 2021 since a January 24 increase of 1.8 percent overall that raised rates for the additional ounce on first-class postage, metered mail, certified mail, postcards. Priority mail services increased 3.5 percent overall for flat-rate envelopes and boxes.

A first-class stamp covers the price of a one-ounce first-class letter. While the current 20 cents charge for an additional ounce costs won't change, which increased 5 cents in Jan 2021. 

There's a way to avoid the increase
Stock up now on First-Class® Mail Forever stamps. The Forever in the stamp's name means that even after the August price increase, a single stamp bought for paid 55 cents will still send a one-ounce letter to any U.S. address without needing more postage. Plus, if you have any Forever stamps stashed away, you can still use them until your supply runs out. 

Forever stamps, introduced in 2007, always equal the current price of a first-class stamp. An original First-Class® Forever stamp purchased then for 41 cents or any in following years are still OK to mail a first-class letter with no added postage. Since 2011, nearly all U.S. first-class stamps sold have been Forever stamps.

Forever stamps also can be used for outbound international letters, but still may need more postage to get to the correct amount. There are Forever stamps for international letters, so if, like myself, you send international letters, you might want to stock up on a few of these before Aug 29 — that cost is going up too and more than the U.S. increase. For example, a first-class letter sent to a UK friend will go from $1.20 to $1.30 — Yikes! That's a 10 cent increase so, yes, I've stocked up on some of those, ahead of pre-increase time, as well.

Here's some overall highlights of what you can expect with the August 29 USPS increase.
  • First Class Mail Letter (1 oz.) rises from 55 cents to 58 cents 
  • Each added ounce for First Class Mail remains at 20 cents (no change)
  • Metered letters would rises from 51 cents to 53 cents
  • Domestic postcards rises from 36 cents to 40 cents
  • Outbound international letters rises from $1.20 to $1.30
  • One-ounce flats rises from $1 to $1.16
According to the USPS, this rate increase impacts Market Dominant products, services, like First Class Mail letters, postcards and mailing services. It doesn't include Competitive products, like First Class Package Service or Priority Mail. Of course, this could change in the future.

Where's the blame fall?
Convenience seems to be the culprit. Widespread use of email for bill paying, online ordering, correspondence, and the increasing shift to online banking have all affected the USPS bottom line. Folks are buying fewer stamps for letters and bill paying and even sending greetings online. Businesses have determined that customers can be reached faster and with less costs by email instead of through mailings via the postal system. Of course, while this may reduce junk mail, there's also the risk of increased  spam and junk mail in your online mailbox.

The USPS generally receives no taxpayer money for operating expenses. According to a May 28 statement, the proposed postage price hikes are a first step in a plan to reverse a projected $160 billion in operating losses over the next decade.

The Post Office Department was created in 1792 with the passage of the Postal Service Act. It was elevated to a cabinet-level department in 1872, and in 1970 was transformed by the Postal Reorganization Act into the United States Postal Service as an independent agency, a government-business hybrid that has received no taxpayer monies for operating expenses since 1982 but remains subject to congressional oversight. 

In a 2020 report, the Universal Postal Union ranked the postal services of 170 countries. The top five countries were Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Japan, followed by France, U.S., UK, Canada, Singapore. India Post is considered the largest postal system in the world. The most expensive place to mail a letter is Norway along with Denmark, Finland, Switzerland. While mail services are cheaper in some countries like Peru, Bangladesh, Thailand, and Malta the cost of postage has to be weighed against the economy. 

What I'll be doing 
Personally, I'm still  sending postage required (snail-mail) letters and cards which are generally enjoyed by recipients. I'll also mail holiday cards again this year, although the list will be re-checked (like Santa's) and most likely undergo cutbacks. Extra stamps were bought after the 2020 holiday to prepare for this holiday season. Yes,  I expect to buy a few more before Aug 29 arrives.

And, here's a surprise gift thought — if you know someone who likes to send letter/cards and perhaps is on a limited budget, send them postage stamps in your next card or letter.

Will the USPS postal increases affect your correspondence?

22 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suspect that along with an increase in price, service has declined too. This year, as far as I can recall I have only actually mailed three items, two packages to Australia and a card within Canada, so I suspect that an increase in mailing costs would barely garner my attention.

My name is Erika. said...

I think the PO was brilliant when they came up with forever stamps. I remember 6 cent postage stamps. It is hard to believe how much they have gone up in one lifetime. But I didn't know they were now going up again. Thanks for the news. Hope all is well and enjoy these couple of beautiful days before the rain and humidity are back! hugs-Erika

Bijoux said...

With the increased cost will also be a decrease in speed, which I saw on the news. Not that that hasn’t already happened. We’ve received mail that took 10 days to travel 5 miles!

Linda G. said...

We use fewer stamps than we used to because we use the Internet to pay bills and to send personal greetings. We do send out holiday greetings, but the amount of those greetings have gone down as well. I mentioned to Bob last night that we should pick up a book of Forever stamps, before the price increases.

Anvilcloud said...

You get off very easy compared to us. I wonder how other countries' rates compare. But I don't wonder enough to dig for the answer. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information. I will definitely get more stamps.

Edna B said...

I was not aware of the upcoming price increase. Thank you. I ordered stamps a few days ago, but now I'll order a few more. Sadly, these increases are chasing folks away from using the postal service. So I guess that means that there will be more increases coming more frequently. Salaries and benefits have to be paid whether we use the mail or not. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Jon said...

Thanks for this informative post. I had no idea that postage rates were being raised AGAIN. Due to the high cost of postage, I haven't sent any "snail mail" in a very long time.

Ironically, the last time I went to town (about two weeks ago) I finally decided to buy some stamps.I got forty of them. Unfortunately I didn't get "forever" stamps........never heard of them.

A pox on postage!

Emma Springfield said...

I'm way ahead of you. My stamps are safely stowed in their compartment in my phone case.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for all this great information. I have a little box with all my stamps, always have a good supply but will now be getting ahead of the increase thanks to you. Much appreciated!

Vee said...

Yes, I will continue to cut back. The cost of mailing a package is too high for me. But thanks for the tip, I will be picking up some Forever stamps even though I have quite a supply.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It sounds as though your postal service is cheaper than ours in the UK, though our stamps for letters have been "forever" stamps for many years now. I only really use stamps to send Christmas cards these days.

Rita said...

Yes, it really effeects mine as an avid letter writer. But postage is a necessity for me so I pay what I have to. I bought up extra Christmas stamps, too, last year! :)

Jeanie said...

I bought all my Christmas stamps on August 3 -- they had the new ones in our post office. And I've bought quite a few regular but I have to remember to get a few more sheets AND to get lots of overseas airmail. UGHT!!!

Lee said...

Regular postage stamps cost @1.10 each here. I always keep a couple in my wallet. And, there are a couple of friends I send birthday and Christmas cards to by "snail mail".

Margaret D said...

As Lee says, our postage for a letter is the same.
Not that many letters posted here, many post boxes removed so up the price of stamps and postage in general for they still have to make their money somehow.

diane b said...

Yes our stamps are much dearer, although pensioners can get concessional stamps cheaper. However, I rarely use snail mail. Maybe at Christmas a little. Our mail services have been cut back too. They only deliver 3 times a week now except for parcels.

MadSnapper said...

Our mail consists only of garbage mail and there is a ton it it. I have a forever book of stamps and it is 3 years old. I use one stamp a year, because bob's flying club only does snail mail for annual fees. since 2010 I have written one check per year and used one stamp to mail it.
Once in a great while when I order something, and i get your item has shipped USPS I groan and say OH NO it will take for ever to get here. our mail persons change monthly and all of them are horrid. NOT a fan of USPS at all.

Christina said...

58 cents is a bargain by UK standards. Converted to US dollars, we pay $1.17 for a first class stamp but on closer inspection, this is for up to 100 grams, which I think is about 3.5 ounces. Cost of postage adds up quickly though, particularly for those among us that write letters frequently. It is a shame because receiving and sending letters is something exciting.

Michelle said...

I love to send/receive snail mail. I also ADORE all kinds of stationary. I don't send as much as I used to, but the price increase won't affect my use of the postal service.

William Kendall said...

I can't recall the last time I mailed anything.

Rob K said...

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the tip.

I love sending and receiving snail mail cards. E-cards can be fun, I suppose, but they just don't feel the same to me.