Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Stacks Are Open (Again)

The Nashua Public Library has finally re-opened to the public again which means so are the stacks (this time). 

That wording was because it's the third time since the March 2020 start of the pandemic that it has done so. Hopefully, this time it will remain open with more resources available in future months.

Early in the pandemic the library shut down, then reopened for a few weeks in early summer. Then it was shut down until the March 1 reopening.

Library occupancy now is limited to 45 people in the building at one time with social distancing. A monitor at the entry does a count and will provide a mask which is required. No mask, no service; if you can't wear a mask, a librarian will retrieve items and deliver outside the building.

Even though the library was closed, books and other materials (DVDs, CD, magazines) could be requested online and picked up through curbside pickup. An email would be sent that requested materials were available. You would park in a designed area, call and a librarian would deliver the items. Book drops remained open for return of materials.

Ebooks and audiobooks were also available for downloads and all my 2020 reading was done through books read on a Kindle or listened to on a cell phone. 

But, of course, the reopening comes with restrictions, as do most things these days.

Library users can enter the building to pick up reserved materials, browse and check out new materials. There's a limited collection of items for children and teens available for browsing.

Anyone who wants to browse the adult and teen stacks to select books and other items can do so specified hours from Monday-Thursday and Saturday. The library is closed on Friday and Sunday. After reopening, users had to call and select a browse time, but this requirement was lifted within a week. It may have been rescinded because of the scheduling effort and few callers. The library was rather empty when I was there over the weekend.
I didn't have any wait time to browse the stacks, which as shown above were rather very deserted. As an alternative, users can ask librarians to retrieve books from the stacks rather than doing it themselves. And, if you don't know what to read, you can ask a librarian for advice. That's never an issue for me, my problem is always too many books to read and too little time. Maybe it's yours as well?
Pre-pandemic, the library had a number of computer terminals available for public use. These could be reserved the day of a visit. Not so now, since most of the equipment has been removed and the use of computers and printers is by appointment only by an advance calling to the library. There's no walk-ins allowed now.
This area used to have tables and seating areas, but all that furniture has also been removed. And, the area is blocked off. Formerly busy areas such as the Children’s Room, Teen Room and meeting and study rooms are all closed now.
While the absence of computers, tables, chairs seating areas seemed excessive, the removal of paperback books seemed even more unusual. The arrow in the above photo shows the now-empty shelves which used to house this collection. 

Here's two books I checked out during my visit. Only a large print version of the Lennon was available which does make reading in bed much easier.

Checkout is self-service, just like a supermarket. The only items staff members check out are those for curbside pickup.

All returned items are quarantined 4 days before being checked in. This means that library users will find returned items still showing on their account even after being returned. 

But there's no late fines either right now.

I've missed going to the library these many months. While reserving books was possible, it was easier to download them to read or listen to. But, a major drawback was that not all books were available for downloading. 

How about where you live — did the local library close. If so, has it reopened? 

20 comments:

Bijoux said...

My daughter works at the library, so I’ve been kept apprised! They were closed March-July last year. Reopened then shut down again in November. They’ve now been reopened for 3 weeks. It was certainly difficult for me to not be able to browse the shelves. My daughter says that since the children’s play area was removed and no story time, there are a lot fewer patrons.

My name is Erika. said...

Our library in still only pick up outside, but in New Durham our library is small compared to Nashua. What a beauty. It is exciting you can go back inside and browse, because that is half the fun isn't it? Picking out a pick from all the choices. You'll have to let us know how the books you checked out are. The John Lennon one looks interesting. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

Three cheers. I'll have to check with ours. We've been at curbside as well. The Fellowes book looks good. I read her other Mitford mystery.

DUTA said...

It's called 'harmonica' : open, shut, reopen, shut, open...
This harmonica thing is very dangerous with schools considered virus spreading hubs.
Parents are putting pressure to keep schools open; so, they get told something nasty like OK , but then be ready to collect your kids from under the ventilators. There's no vaccine yet for kids.

DeniseinVA said...

Good to know your library is open. We noticed ours was too when we drove by yesterday. The self-checkout is a great idea. The book I am about to read is the Mitford Trial.

Emma Springfield said...

I'm glad to see things reopening. As long as it is done so that people are safe I am all for it.

Lee said...

So many changes in so many areas...so many venues. Some are understandable...some not.

I've not visited our library here for quite a while. I believe it was only shut for a very brief period...and all is back to normal operation now.

Take good care. :)

Red said...

Our libraries were closed and at times there was a program to put books out for you to pick up but most of the time it was closed.

acorn hollow said...

our library is still curb side because I work in a bookstore it has not been an issue but I prefer to browse the library to see what hits me.
Cathy

William Kendall said...

Our libraries were shut down a couple of times during Covid, the first time being the longest. Most of the branches in the system are open now for at least holds pick up, but of course there are certain restrictions, like a limited number of people in the building, computers only bookable for an hour and a limited number of them, and the Covid protocols you would expect.

Marcia said...

Our little library here is open but you must get an appointment time. It doesn't have many of the books I'm looking for so I've been ordering used books through ABE Books.

David said...

Beatrice, Our small local library doesn't have a large number of 'stacks'. I don't know if its open or not as the last time I was there was to drop off a form for our village. My wife reads a lot but she and her sisters all buy and exchange books...plus we buy a fair number every year. We probably have 1,000 books in house (I haven't read them all...) We donated 200 books to our library about 2 years ago and I guess its time to do it again. Their big book sale and fund raiser is coming up soon. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Rita said...

I hope your library can stay open for browsing this time. Looks like a nice one. :)

MadSnapper said...

it seems there isnothing in our world that has not been changed by this pandemic.

Anvilcloud said...

I am reminded that I need to return a book and get a new one. No going in though as we are back to you know what.

Edna B said...

Our library is open with restrictions too. I haven't been their for about a year. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to visit again. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Jon said...

It's ironic that Walmart has been open all through the pandemic and most libraries are closed (including the ones here in TN). Your local library is lovely, but all those restrictions sound like something devised by the KGB.
Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get some books. The John Lennon one sounds interesting.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Ahhh...your tone is of happiness and contentment, once again, now that your library is welcoming patrons!!...jp

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I used to love “hanging out” in the library, even after I started reading almost exclusively on Kindle, which is so much more convenient for people who travel (well, who used to). But I liked just browsing and reading magazines and ours even has a coffee shop in the foyer and used to have speakers, authors and poets etc.... But I haven’t been physically in a library now for many many months. I check out most of our Kindle books through the library, I get their monthly email newsletter but I don’t remember what their arrangements were for pickup etc, I think it was similar to what yours was. .... I am the same as you, so many books, so little time!

nick said...

My library in East Belfast has been closed for months, except for collecting pre-ordered books, and there's no sign of a reopening just yet. But I have plenty of books still to read or re-read so I'm quite happy. I've just started Michelle Obama's Becoming - fascinating and enjoyable.