Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

It's My Birthday

Happy Birthday to You, also known simply as Happy Birthday is a tune traditionally sung to celebrate a birthday, like my own, which is today.


This post is not all about me, instead it's about the Happy Birthday song. But, since it is my birthday, I've included photos of my much younger days, and my question is: When did I become grown up and how can I make it stop?

Did you know that Happy Birthday to You is the most recognized song in the English language guaranteed to make people of all ages smile and sing along? (The second most popular is For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow.)


The tune has been sung annually hundreds of times for over a century — in outer space, in baseball stadiums, homes, parties, including famously by a movie star to a U.S. President (Marilyn Monroe to JFK at Madison Square Garden in 1962). It’s been included in all types of tune-playing products, cards, music boxes, toys, games and more. 


These rankings from the Guinness Book of World Records do not mean that either tune is the most popular worldwide, but the most known by the most people. It's been estimated that the birthday song's lyrics have been translated into at least 20 languages.


Where It Started

The most popularly recognized four-line melody dates to the 1890s, but not as the birthday song. It was originally titled, Good Morning to All, and written by two Kentucky sisters, Patty and Mildred Hall, to be used as a classroom greeting from teachers to kindergarten students: Good morning to you/Good morning to you/Good morning, dear children/Good morning to all.


Patty was a nursery school and kindergarten teacher, and later principal at the Louisville Experimental Kindergarten School. Her oldest sister, Mildred, was a composer, organist and music scholar with a specialty in Negro spirituals. Mildred created the melody for Good Morning to All and Patty added the lyrics. 

Their goal was to compose a simple melody that would be easy for young children to sing. The tune had a range of six notes, repetitive lyrics and took about 10 seconds to sing). In 1893, the  song was included in Song Stories for the Kindergarten.

There are various accounts of how Good Morning to All became Happy Birthday to You. In 1924, according to one, the Hill sisters' song appeared without authorization in a songbook edited by Robert H. Coleman. In the book, Coleman used the original title and first stanza lyrics but changed the second stanza's opening line to “Happy Birthday to You.” Thus, the sisters’ line  of“Good morning dear children” became “Happy birthday dear (name).” This new stanza became hugely popular and soon overshadowed the original lyric. 


By the mid-1930s, the tune had appeared in several films, a Broadway musical, and had been used for Western Union’s first singing telegram. It was so widely heard and sung that many assumed it was already in the public domain, but that was not the case.


Copyright and Royalties

When it was used, uncredited and uncompensated, in a 1933 Irving Berlin musical revue, a third Hill sister, Jessica, filed a court suit showing the link between Happy Birthday to You and Good Morning to All, and secured a copyright for her sisters.


Jessica Hill took her sisters’ tune to a Chicago-based publisher, Clayton F. Summy Co., which published and copyrighted it in 1935. Years later, the company was bought and renamed Birch Tree Ltd which retained the publishing rights for Happy Birthday until 1988. That’s when Warner Chappell Music, the largest worldwide music publisher, purchased Birch Tree and claimed copyright for every use (film, TV shows, stage, radio, greeting cards) insisting the lyrics could not be sung for profit without a royalty payment. In 2008, Warner collected some $2 million annually in royalties. Much of it went to the Hill Foundation charity founded in the name of the Hill sisters. The company said that it held the song’s copyright until 2030, which would give it decades to claim royalties on what was considered as the single highest-earning song in history.

What Happened Next
In 2013, Warner Chappell was sued for claiming false copyright on Happy Birthday to You. Copyright law professor Robert Brauneis researched it and cited issues with the song’s authorship and notice and renewal of the copyright. Brauneis wrote that since only certain arrangements of the song were renewed in 1963, the end of the original copyright’s term, the song became part of the public domain. He concluded that it is almost certainly no longer under copyright.  In 2015, a federal court ruled that Warner Chappell's claim to a copyright on the song was invalid and there was no other claim to copyright. Warner Chappell agreed to pay back $14 million in licensing fees. 

Today, the music and lyrics are in public domain in the U.S. and the European Union. In the EU, copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. Patty Hill, who died in 1946, was the last surviving author as Mildred had died in 1916. The Hill sisters were posthumously inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in June 1996. The sisters have no surviving family members.

To this day, no one knows for certain who wrote the new words to Mildred Hill’s melody or when it happened. 

Even the claim that the Hill sisters composed the tune has been argued by those who have stated that the sisters could have copied the tune and lyrical idea from other popular and similar 19th-century songs of the time as Mildred was a musicologist.


The journey of Happy Birthday to You is unique in the history of popular songs. What started as a simple teaching aid tune has now become a worldwide popular standard.


Thanks to the Corona-19 virus pandemic, the song recently has gained another identity. It's become the accompaniment to a hand-washing ritual. That current popularity is due to the fact that (1) nearly everyone knows it by heart and (2) it takes about 10 seconds to sing. If someone sings it twice, that's the time experts have recommended for a thorough hand-washing.


And, now you (and I) know the rest of the story.


If any other fellow blogger has a birthday this month, here's my choice for a birthday song, this 1968 Beatles birthday tune included on The Beatles, also known as the White Album. 

There's no special plans for a celebration today. However, next week we're taking a getaway to a neighboring New England state and will co-celebrate my 🎂 and ❤️ Day.
We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing. 
(George Bernard Shaw)

36 comments:

nick said...

It's a long time since anyone sang Happy Birthday to me - or vice versa. My birthdays tend to be very quiet ones nowadays. No big parties, just a few presents, a nice meal and a few glasses of wine.

How typical that the song got mired in complicated legal actions for a while. A nice little earner for the lawyers!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Enjoy your birthday and remember that growing up is not compulsory.

acorn hollow said...

Happy Birthday! Very interesting about the song. in our family we call the person who's birthday it is if we can't see them on the day and sing it to them. Because we are all horrid singers there is usually howls of laughter.
Cathy

LL Cool Joe said...

Hey it's my Birthday too today! Happy Birthday!

Anvilcloud said...

It is birthday time here too -- JJ tomorrow and far-flung DiL in a few days.

Have a good one.

Bijoux said...

Happy Birthday! Thank you for the history lesson, I enjoyed seeing the original lyrics. I only knew about the lawsuits, not about the sisters. Have a wonderful getaway!

William Kendall said...

Happy birthday! Mine was on the first.

Jon said...

Your information about the history of the Birthday Song is fascinating and all new to me. I also liked the series of your photos, taken at different ages.

I suppose the best way to combat the advancing years is to stop counting them and keep active. I stopped counting long ago....

Have a blessed and wonderful birthday!

Grenville T Boyd said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday to my wonderful Princess, Beatrice


From your Adoring and Forever Loving Frog, Grenville

MadSnapper said...

if anyone leaves a comment with the answer on how to stop this aging thing let me know as soon as you know. i knew none of this about the birthday song, wow. i think everyone in the world knows this song. and i do sing it twice while washing. Happy Birthday and enjoy your outing to celebrate both days. our 36th anniversary is the 8th, my son is 56 on the 14th and other son is 54 on the 22, makes this a big month.. your collage of you as a child, the one with the coat and bonnet and purse, i have one somewhere of me. it is identical, we could swap faces with photoshop . i also had a dress like the shiny one with the doll, but mine was shiny burgundy and for Easter dress. my grandmother made it when I was 8 and a turkey gobbler jumped on me and ripped the skirt to smiterenes

Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday to you! It's our grandson's birthday today too.

Red said...

Happy birthday. Have great day. I'm surprised that happy birthday is so recent.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Many Happy returns I see you are well versed.

Edna B said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU MY FRIEND. I hope your day is full of love and happiness. And you are right....We get old because we stop playing! So, my friend, play as long as you can. Enjoy your birthday getaway. Hugs, Edna B.
p.s.
Thanks for the interesting info about the birthday song.

DUTA said...

Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns of the Day!

Stevenson Q said...

To my dearest friend Beatrice, I want to greet you a very Happy Birthday! Just like my Mo, you are a Febrarian (as we call it here) and Febrarians are filled with so much love and care and gentleness and I find all of those with you and our correspondences on this blogworld! I pray that you stay and keep healthy and safe throughout this new year in your life and also happiness and health to all your loved ones!

Marcia said...

Happy Birthday! You got snow for your birthday too!

David said...

Beatrice, Happy Birthday! The bad news is that we're all getting older...and the good news is that we're still getting older. The alternative is sort of final... Thanks for the history on the Happy Birthday song. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Emma Springfield said...

Have a most happy birthday. I wish you lots of ice cream. I remember at one school when I was in second grade we sang the Good Morning To You song every morning. The children sang good morning to Miss Hayhurst. We changed the last line to say, "We're glad to see you." Then Miss Hayhurst replied to wish all of us the same. It was a wonderful way to begin the day.

mamasmercantile said...

Happy Birthday wishing you everything you ish for yourself.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy birthday, Beatrice.

Vee said...

Happy Birthday🎈I really enjoyed reading about the Happy Birthday song. I am glad that it is finally in the public domain. As a church family, we had to write our own Happy Birthday song so as not to break copyright laws.

Rita said...

I had never heard the background story about the song!
I do love the Beatles birthday song.
Great pics. Have a wonderful day! :)

My name is Erika. said...

Happy happy birthday Dorothy. I hope you did something fun for the day. At least have a cupcake. And at least the snow was yesterday. I think your story about the Happy Birthday song is fascinating. You find the most interesting stories. Have a nice trip to the neighboring state next week! I'll be looking to see where and what you did. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

Happy Birthday, Dorothy! What a fun post. Some of which I knew, some I didn't. My favorite song to sing while handwashing is U of M's "Hail to the Victors Valiant." This really distresses those at Michigan State (my former employer -- glad Covid didn't come when I was still working!)

I hope you had a fantastic day. Loved all the fun photos!

Margaret D said...

Happy Birthday to you. Trust you had a or are having a great day.
That's interesting about the beginnings of the song and the copyright..

baili said...

dear Dorothy what an incredibly MARVELOUS post :)

first of all consider me singing for you

" happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you ,happy birthday to you dear Dorothy happy birthday to you " :))) Hugs and heartfelt congratulations on the happy returns of the day my wonderful wonderful friend :) may you keep spreading your light for many more years along with all you love and adore !!!!

special thanks for fascinating story of birthday song ,that was really great to learn about two sweet ladies who started to wish their students in such sweet tune which fit perfectly for birthday wishes :) wow
i so enjoyed knowing all this ,thank you for always amazingly interesting sharing and that quote oh that just made my day and yes i agree :) so keep playing my friend!

baili said...

i came back to say that you were such a lovely little girl :)

such angle like face and smile :)

DeniseinVA said...

Loved the photos, older ones and new. I always enjoy them and once again, Happy Birthday!!! I am singing Happy Birthday to you :)

Polly said...

oh Beatrice I'm so sorry I missed your birthday, I hope you had a good day, and I hope you enjoy your getaway next week. I often ask myself how I got to be the age I am now!! Very interesting history of "happy birthday"

Linda G. said...

Happy belated birthday! February is my birthday month. It isn’t any ole’ birthday. I entered Medicare years as of the first of the month. My actual 65th birthday is later in the month.

Doris said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Dorothy! Hope you had a good day and I'm sure you are looking forward to the little get away soon. Take care!

Rob K said...

Happy Birthday, Dorothy! I hope you had a great day!

And thanks, as always, for an entertaining, informative post!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy Belated and enjoy your coming trip ! I enjoyed the BD song story .... believe it or not, I had a second grade teacher who sang the first version and we had to sing it back (good morning dear teacher..we’re glad to see you). ... that would have been in 1947... so long ago, but the song was already old! .... fun memories and new things learned, I enjoyed it all, including your sweet pictures.

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy Birthday Wishes.

All the best Jan

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Just love this post! Love the photos......you always have such a cheerful welcoming smile! Happy birthday dear friend!