Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2019

They Never Give Up !

Fellow bloggers, this is an ongoing alert that spammers are still (and forever will be) among us. Several blogs including mine have been hit by certain spammers. I'm purposely not naming any as they don't need further notoriety.

That said it bears repeating that affected bloggers should remove such comments ASAP. And, if you see a dubious spam comment from a nefarious bad-doer on someone's blog, please and, as it was in the vintage Romper Room kids show, be a good "do-bee" and let them know, so they can delete it too.

The more due diligence that we fellow bloggers practice, then perhaps we can at least limit these low-lifes (restraint used here). Sadly, I'm not naive to the fact that they will never be entirely obliterated. Earlier posts in October 2018 and April 2018 have more on this topic.

Yesterday, I found the same lengthy spam comment left on recent posts. All identical from the same spammer and spaced a minute or so apart in the early a.m. I've opted not to identify this spammer or show the comment here for two reasons: there's no need to provided added visibility to this individual or to display such garbage again. 

They're no longer on those posts, but were marked as Spam and deleted. 

It's not enough to just Delete such comments. Doing so still reveals the name of the spammer as in this example seen recently on another blog. As you can see, it shows the blog administrator removed the comment, but the spammer's ID remains.

A better way is to mark them as Spam. These are the options in Blogger at the top of the Published Comments page. To check comments Click Comments > Published
Check the box next to the comment(s) then select Spam to move it to the Spam folder. This removes it from published post comments. You can check the Spam Folder to make sure that no "real" comments went there in error. If you find one, click Not Spam and it returns to the post comments. Then you can delete all the Spam ones. 

This isn't the first time that I or others have been spammed, sadly it won't be the last. Months ago, I admittedly didn't regularly check the Published Comments section in Blogger. Instead, I would only check the comments for a current post. 

Last year, after receiving notice from a fellow blogger of a spam comment. I started regularly checking Published Comments. 

Since then, I've come across Spam on posts published weeks or months ago. These show as recent Published Comments. Most likely, there are spam comments from months and months ago before I started doing checking and I'm not planning to backtrack through all those comments


Checking Published Comments regularly now is part of my  "blog maintenance."


Why care about Comment Spam? — Here's some reasons:

  • It can make it seem like you don't care about your blog and if it's peppered with false links, you might be thought of as a bad online housekeeper. it could also hamper "legit" readers from commenting.
  • It could cause Google to remove a blog (it's happened). Leaving a dubious link(s) can cause google to "punish" your site even if these are only in comments unknown to you. Google might assume you've allowed them in other places too.
  • It endangers readers who should feel your site is safe. If one clicks on a bad link and a re-direct could lead to a malware site that infects a PC with spyware or a virus. That reader may spread the word to avoid your site. (Social media is a very powerful tool.)
As stated earlier, this post on spam resulted from my annoyance anger frustration (pick any or all 3) at seeing the same worthless Spammer comment on 10 recent posts and again today on 6! After online sleuthing, I found out that this same spammer has left this same garbage as far back as 2 years ago. Other bloggers ranted about it in their posts. 

Maybe we can't stop the spam, but we can at least delete it from our comments and alert fellow bloggers when we see it in their posted comments.

16 comments:

DUTA said...

I once had a spammer who used very obscene language. I really panicked. After I got rid of him, I started to use Blogger moderation feature and I'm very pleased with it.
Not only does it enable you to elegantly not publish what you don't wish to, but it also enables you to recover a comment from your email (I've asked Blogger for email moderation; sometimes, a reader leaves a comment on the wrong post, and I manage to move it to the right one).
So, I recommend to everyone Bloger moderation, to prevent scammers from appearing on your posts.

Anonymous said...

I was hit by this spammer too but I just deleted, I moderate all comments and honestly I thought everyone did so I was shocked when I came across this spammer comments on a few blog friends comment list. Always something to make things more complicated, thanks for the great advice!

Connie said...

I moderate all comments on my blog too, so they never make it to my blog. I'm the only one who sees them, and then I mark them as spam and delete them. It takes a little more time, but it works.

Anvilcloud said...

Good reminder.
I don't moderate because it is a pain.
For the occasional bit of Spam, I am not about to moderate to the death.
I check comments and delete. I am not obsessive about a Spam comment being up for 2 minutes.
To each their own.

Michelle said...

I moderate my comments because you never know what someone might write. I have been receiving more spam lately. It all gets deleted.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They do seem to pick up from time to time and make a nuisance out of themselves! Thanks for the tips and reminders too! Enjoy your afternoon!

Emma Springfield said...

We must have been visited by the same spammer. I took the same steps you did and I have spam no more. It happens every once in a while so it is good to know how to take care of it.

William Kendall said...

I mark them as spam if they make it past the usual spam filter. I require moderation on any comment more than a couple of weeks old, and I've found they tend to go after the older posts, but the most recent ones have gone after recent posts.

They are a pain in the neck, and I visualize all sorts of bad endings for them.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for this post. You made some very good points here. I used to get a lot more spam comments before moderating everything. There is one regular spammer I see all the time but I always put it into the spam folder. If I receive one that I don't know anything about that gives me a feeling that it is some kind of spam, it doesn't get published either. If it's legit I don't mean to offend, just not taking any chances these days. Happy Easter to you both :)

Red said...

Excellent post. You know what you're talking about . I delete them.

Valerie said...

I remove the rubbish before it gets on my blog. I think everyone should moderate comments to avoid giving the idiots the publicity they crave.

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize that just deleting them sill left info behind. Happy Easter and Happy weekend.

Christina said...

I don't moderate comments but I I mark any that are spammy as such when it pops up. I get an email for each comment and it is easy to keep track. I find moderation too tedious but luckily, don't get much spam.

What annoys me more is all the spam followers one "collects" on Bloglovin. They used to have names such as Diana14764 but now they are more sophisticated, using full names and all. If you look at their profile, they follow thousands of blogs, and usually have their own websites that mostly include a three letter word beginning with "s". Bloglovin doesn't do anything about those and it is impossible to block them as one can on instagram for example.... drives me potty.

NCmountainwoman said...

Yes, she has also left her calling card on my blog as well. Surely someone marked as "spam" often enough would be recognized by blogger.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Thanks for all the info. I will take it to heart.

baili said...

thank you for useful post dear friend!

actually i sent such rubbish to click on "spam" but they still appear again and i again hit spam button
so disappointing indeed