Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Five Women Dining in NYC

Many of you, like myself, have most likely come across vintage family photos and wanted to find out more information.

It's like going down a rabbit hole, which are the same words, I've used in an earlier post(s) about efforts to learn more about my family history. That project hasn't been abandoned, but been put aside as I find other distractions projects.

That's what happened this past weekend, as I re-discovered this photo that I first saw 4 years ago when my brother, husband and myself were cleaning out my mother's home after her death. It shows five women (in their 20s then) and all friends who lived near one another in Scotch Plains, NJ. They were dressed up and "out on the town" dining in New York in 1944. Two of the women are my relatives.



The back of the photo is stamped with a date of Oct 4, 1944. My 22-year old mother, Clara, is pictured second from the right (in the light colored dress). Her sister, Anna, (then about 25) is second from the left, wearing a white hat. I know the names of two other women: Angie is in the photo center and "Derp" is on the far right next to my mom. The name of the woman at the far left is unknown and remains a mystery. My mother died at age 92 and she was the last remaining member of the group.
The photo was taken at Rogers Corner, a popular restaurant and bar which was opposite Madison Square Garden on 8th Ave and 50th St in NYC. It was enclosed in this folder. which features the U.S. Army Eagle symbol above the name. 
The folder back has the photo price and location: "Souvenir Photo $ 1.00 — Remembrance of a pleasant evening at Rogers Corner." Extra copies could be obtained from by including the date and club name and a photo description. The back of my mother's photo was stamped with a 1944 date and a handwritten #105.
The above postcard was included in the souvenir photo folder. Rogers Corner billed itself as "America's Most Unusual Restaurant" and it featured the Pan American Room and the Rondevoo restaurant. Notice in the top left corner that the restaurant would also mail the postcard for its patrons. This was a nicety in the war years as many service personnel dined in these places.
No menu was included in the folder; however, I found this one at an online auction site. It was dated November 1944, a month after my mother and friends dined there. Notice the complete De Luxe dinner prices were under $2 with the exception of roast prime ribs (of NY) at a whooping $2.50 (75 years ago). 

Look close and you will see that a ham steak or broiled chicken dinner were more costly than sea trout, lamb or duckling choices. The opposite is truer these days. Better yet, the dinner included two sides, dessert choices that included home-made pie, and coffee, tea or milk. I sure would like a deal like that now — wouldn't you?

Many other NYC dining places also were popular gathering spots during the 1940 World War II years. The above photo shows Grenville's parents, Bob and Betty, seated on the right and his aunt (Mabel) on the right. It was taken an unknown (to us) New York restaurant.

Despite many online searches this week, I failed to find historical information about this long-gone restaurant, which from the photo folder illustration, looks like it was a sizable establishment. I also read another blogger's post from several years ago about a similar search without success.

What I did find were various online sites selling Rogers Corner "souvenir" photo folders and postcards, perhaps from folks going through family photos. Many folders included photos with WW II service members. Prices ranged from $15 to $18.

Even if I never locate more information than these scant bits, it doesn't matter. Whenever I look at the photo of my late mother, her sister and friends, I imagine them enjoying a wonderful adventure together in NYC.

What better memory, indeed.

18 comments:

Karen Lakis said...

What a great find - and so interesting to see a little bit of our history. The young ladies in the photo are so nicely dressed for a dinner in the city. It’s fun to see how things have changed!

MadSnapper said...

a wonderful piece of history, even if it was not your family, that makes it even better. on that date, I was one month old and my mother looked like these ladies did, but she was just turned 19. the price of the photo and the menu, is a wow moment

Anvilcloud said...

They are great keepsakes in and of themselves.

Anonymous said...

Old photos are always so evocative. It is a wonderful journey to the past, stirring memories and questions.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How sweet that you found a photo with your mom and her friends having a get together! They are so well dressed and pretty! It is wonderful that you found the photo and the menu not too long dated after your mom and her friends dined there! I love menus...........I started collecting my own menus when my husband and I would dine out. Not menus or collectable ones.........the ones where my husband and I would travel to and the places that we ate at. I would ask for a copy of the menu........many times the restaurants would let me have the one I was ordering from. Then I marked the items that my husband and I chose to eat and commented on how we either liked it or not and any other things about that particular restaurant and day. I have done this for 36 years, also with the places we have gone with our children. I have a Red Lobster menu from the early 80s.....the first time I ever at there with my husband. It is amazing to see the changes in selection and prices. And is is a wonderful trip down "memory lane" to a fun day with my husband or all of us as a family. So enjoyed your post!

Emma Springfield said...

How nice to have those vintage photos. They are a view of history.

Linda said...

I love old photos and I really enjoyed this post about yours. I, too, have done some research trying to find answers to my past. I was born in 1948 in Kansas City, Mo. Through old photos and research, I pieced together that my mother had moved there from Brownwood, Texas where she had lived during the war. Her husband was a serviceman and he was stationed in KC at the Army camp there which was in process of closing. From family oral history per my oldest living cousin, Mother’s husband left her for a nurse he met during the war. The nurse was pregnant and called Mother and told her about their relationship. Mother’s husband was named Louis. This was in the fall of 1947. I was born in September 1948. By then Mother had married again but this man was not my biological father nor was her first husband.
I have tried in vain to find out who was but to no avail. Mother refused to tell me. She had a stroke in 2005 and couldn’t tell me after that even if she wanted to but I doubt she did. She died this January. I do know from my cousin that Mother and Louis had been trying to have a baby and she was devastated that he left her for another woman who was pregnant with his child. It is a mystery. I still try to do a bit of research now and then but it usually tenses me up and I get a headache and neck ache! By now he’s most likely dead anyway and what difference does it make? Without a name, it’s probably impossible to find out more.
Anyway, you can tell I love the history of your old photo! Thanks for sharing it with us!

DUTA said...

How very interesting! I envy people who have vintage photos like the one in your post. My parents lost everything during WW2 when they were driven out of their home and exiled to another country, precisely to a concentration camp.

Red said...

Great discovery and memories. Many times there were photographers on the street taking photos of people. the photos were sold to the people. Not like today where we can take all kinds of goofy selfies.

William Kendall said...

These are wonderful memories to hold onto.

mamasmercantile said...

Hope you do manage to find out ore. But what a wonderful thought knowing what a wonderful time they were having...cherished memories.

Valerie said...

It is wonderful to have such memories and how better than the photograph for ensuring those beloved images stay in the memory.

Natalia said...

Lovely share, love old photos, especially those from my grandparents youth☺

Connie said...

Old photos like this are such a treasure. It does look like it was a fun night out for those ladies.

DeniseinVA said...

How wonderful you have these photos, and great family history.

baili said...

Wow ,this is such a PRECIOUS POST dear Dorothy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how wonderful that you find that treasured photo during cleaning of your mom's house!

thank you for sharing those special times when your dear mother enjoyed her food with friends and family :)

i bet this is overwhelming!

second image is also really impressive and lovely !

this is such a joy to learn about our ancestors

L. D. said...

This is a wonderful historic memory. It is nice you have found all the parts to help the memory to grow. I liked how they dressed and the view of the inside of the place was wonderful.

NCmountainwoman said...

How wonderful that you came across the photograph. Interesting post.