Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Vintage Family Easter

Looking through vintage family photos is always something I enjoy as it's a chance to revisit memorable times. I looked for some related to the Easter holiday and found these.

In the photo below, I'm posing for an Easter photo with my mother and brother sometime in the late 1950s. It was taken in the living room of our Plainfield, NJ home by my father. I'm guessing that the ages of my brother and myself might have been 10 and 7 years old. (Yes, those were some conflicting patterns of wallpaper and sofa covers.)
Here's an earlier photo of myself and "baby" brother, Anthony, taken several years earlier in our backyard. It's been many years since I've donned an Easter bonnet and my brother no longer wears a bowtie.
In another flashback, here's Grenville possibly between the age of 4 or 5 (he wasn't sure) with a plush bunny that was nearly as tall as himself. Note that he's also wearing a bowtie in this photo with his mom and dad. 
Thanks for sharing this photo look-back of our families' holiday memories. 

15 comments:

Christina said...

I do love old family photos! There aren't many for us unfortunately, my grandfather was ruthless when he decided to clear up the attic. Such a shame

DUTA said...

I especially like the solitary photo in the middle, of you and your little brother. You look very much the protective sister, dressed solidly (like a 'mother') with a coat and hat, and holding a handbag.
Lovely!

Doris said...

Love the photos!
Yes, conflicting patterns were big in the 50’s....pretty much my early memories of the living room at our farmhouse :)
Happy Easter to you!

MadSnapper said...

my dad LOVED bowties, he wore a tie all day every day and most were bowties. somewhere in the old family pics, I am walking down Brought Street In Savannah GA holding mother hand and Santas hand and I have on the exact same coat as yours...we always got new Easter clothes, that is how we got Church clothes for the coming year... have not had an Easter dress in many years.

Anonymous said...

It's really lovely to look back on the old days. We had family who lived in Plainfield, NJ back then. We loved going to visit with them. What a joyous era.

Emma Springfield said...

You'll never know how much I enjoyed this. I love seeing old pictures.

Linda said...

I love your old photos! My favorite is the one of you in the coat.....and of Grenville with his parents. His mother was beautiful! So glamorous!

Connie said...

What great pictures! It is fun to revisit those memories of days gone by.

Anonymous said...

This lovely post does bring back memories , I remember wearing easter bonnets and gloves lol, weren't we the girly girls! Lovely photos!

William Kendall said...

I don't recall Easter photos. I do remember sunrise services on Easter Sunday.

My name is Erika. said...

I also love to look through old photos. These are classics. And that is one big Easter bunny for sure. But yup, I remember always getting new Easter outfits too. Do people do that any more? Hope all is well. hugs-Erika

Red said...

They bring back some very good memories and a lot of "I can't believes." Have a great Easter week end.

Anvilcloud said...

The tradition of a new outfit for Easter seems to be long gone.

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh, those could have been photographs of my brother and me. Same bonnets, same bowties, and same Mary Janes. Even the chocolate bunnies were the same.

baili said...

oh dear this is such a beautiful and touching post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you sooo much for these treasured images dear Beatrice!!!!!!

i thoroughly loved them:)

you were such a beautiful young lady and your brother is so cute
your mom looks like lovely graceful lady

i liked the image of your dear husband too

what a splendid memories ! so glad you shared my friend!