Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

Hot Roast Sunday Dinner

After nearly 50 days of road travel (and road food) it's good not only to be home, but cooking in our own kitchen again. Last week, there was a sale on beef eye round at the local supermarket, perfect for an at-home Sunday dinner on a fall weekend as Grenville watched a late afternoon football game.

Outside it was more summer-like than autumn with daytime temperatures in the mid-80s. Regardless, we craved a Sunday dinner at home, and a roast was on the dinner menu.

A traditional cooking method, and one I used for years, would have been 350℉ for about 20 minutes per pound, so a 3 lb. roast would take about an hour or so. Since dinner would be later due to the game, I wanted a recipe with a longer cooking time and found one.

The method below took nearly 3 times longer. But the results were deliciously amazing; it's now my go-to beef roasting recipe. YES, the oven was set at 500℉ degrees (at first).
The roast was taken out a half hour earlier and warmed to room temperature. While the oven was heating, it was seasoned with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, rosemary, and crushed garlic. Seasoning with garlic powder, salt and pepper would work too.
Another addition was the use of Gravy Master seasoning. It was brushed on the roast first with a basting brush. It was was a bit messy when brushed on. Here's the seasoned roast ready for the oven (fat side up). Use a metal pan and not a glass roasting dish at this high oven temperature. Do not cover or add water to the pan
NOW, lower the oven temperature to 475℉ and set a timer for  7 minutes per pound, which for this 3 lb. was 21 minutes for medium-rare roast. If you prefer it more cooked, set the timer for 8-9 minutes per pound.

When the timer goes off, DO NOT OPEN the oven door. Turn OFF the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2-1/2 hours. (Yes, I was skeptical too, but trust me on this.)

Remove the roast from the ovenThe internal temp should be at least 145℉. Tent with foil and let it sit tented for 20 minutes, before carving to serve with your meal. Our Sunday dinner menu included steamed vegetables and oven-roasted potatoes.

Cooking the beef this way left time for doing other things, and it was ready when the football game ended. (Unfortunately, the New England Patriots lost this week.) But, Grenville declared this meal a winner and gave it two forks up. Best of all, there were leftovers for a couple of meals this week.
The high temperature cooking method really worked out well for this cut of beef. Has anyone else used a similar cooking method — if so, were the results good?

16 comments:

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Sure looks good and bet it was. Hope your Monday and week ahead are both good.

MadSnapper said...

looks delish. you will never hear those words come from my mouth. that it is good to be cooking in my own kitchen. I will say it is good to be home, because I am a home body, just not a kitchen cooking body

Kathy said...

Wow! This looks and sounds great. I have a beef roast in the freezer that I am going to try this on. I have never heard of cooking a roast this way.

Christina said...

That looks like a perfect roast! My mum always cooked roasts like you do, except she did not entirely turn the oven off but set the temperature to a very low heat, barely noticeable. I swear by this but my husband does the roasts now and I don't get a say :-)

Emma Springfield said...

I'm going to come let you feed me for a couple of weeks. You always have the best looking meals. And I love leftovers too.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

This sounds so delicious.
Do you put the roast in the oven as soon as you change the temperature to 475℉, so that the roast is in the oven while temperature drops?

Thank you for the recipe Beatrice.

William Kendall said...

That looks good!

My name is Erika. said...

It looks so yummy. With this hot summery weather we haven't had a roast in a very long time. I have used this method before to cook special holiday roasts and it super, isn't it? Hugs-Erika

Michelle said...

This is very interesting and I will have to try it. I am always looking for new ways to cook things.

DeniseinVA said...

That sounds very yummy and I will be trying this new method. Thanks Dorothy:) Bet you are enjoying your home-cooked meals after being on the road. I know we did!

mamasmercantile said...

Always nice to be home. The beef looks delicious, I wish I lived nearer I would have popped around to join you.

Valerie said...

Looks good. Can almost smell it cooking. Sadly I don't have any need to cook such a dish. Doesn't stop the mouth watering though.

Doris said...

Never heard of making a roast this way....I would have to use the longer time setting though. I'm a well done kind of gal :) Pot roast was often our Sunday dinner (dinner was the noon meal) when I was a kid.....mom put it in the oven before church and it was ready when we got home. And the house smelled amazing!

L. D. said...

It sure is a good looking roast. The sitting in the oven for a period of time is a new one for me.

Connie said...

Interesting. I've never tried cooking a roast at a high temperature like this. Glad to hear it turned out well for you.

Karen Lakis said...

Wow - interesting! It looks delicious!