Pages

Monday, September 24, 2018

Fall Outside Our Door

This past weekend, Saturday, September 22, was the first day of fall in the U.S. Autumn has arrived on time outside our apt, despite warmer-than-usual outdoor temperatures.

Scarecrows Simon and Cyrus (yes, they have names) have taken up entry way residence the past couple of seasons and they stand in a pumpkin patch surrounded by leaves that we (happily) don't have to rake. The small pumpkin signs are "new" and were purchased at an after-the-season mark-down sale last year, but it was too late to include them then.
These exterior decorations were done with minimal cost (as in very cheaply). The local Dollar Tree store is a wonderful place to buy seasonal decos for less $ (as are thrift stores). And, keeping the cost to $10 or less is a challenge and fun too. 

"Percy" Penguin and "Ferdinand" Frog remain outside our entry for all seasons. They formerly hung out on our VA front porch and relocated to NH with us. They're always decked out for the current season.

The flags in the lower left and top right of this collage were used at our former VA home Since we don't have a yard or front porch to display them, they are used to decorate the outer walls here.
As you can see, scarecrows and pumpkins are the fall theme at our apt home. Decorations are seasonal rather than for a specific holiday, which is why there are no Halloween-themed items on display. The scarecrows will remain in place until replaced by snowmen in December. Those fellows will remain until spring, or at until the snow melts.

Many folks here in the mill apartments don't decorate their apt entries, but for myself it's a way of personalizing our apt, which is now our home.

Call me curious, but do YOU decorate outside your home (or apt) entry way?

22 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I do decorate outside for fall usually outside my door. Very cute and fall like
Cathy

baili said...

Beautiful decorations my friend!

seasonal decorations take place here lesser here though we decorate our houses before special yearly festivals


i think this is wonderful idea to give expressions to your residence

Happy Fall!

Anvilcloud said...

This is fun for you to do and us to see. Sue does seasonal decs around the house.

Anvilcloud said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MadSnapper said...

great prices for decorations. I love the dollar tree .. I don't decorate inside or out side for any season other than the nook at Chrismtas.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Beautiful decorations; fall is my favorite time to decorate (other than Christmas of course).

Valerie said...

Lovely decorations. I love all the seasons but only decorate at Christmas. Not sure if anyone else decorates for Autumn in the UK.

William Kendall said...

You certainly do take it seriously! Very colourful.

mamasmercantile said...

Love all the seasonal decor, it looks so pretty. We don't decorate outside as the strong winds we have here would blow them all away. I would be forever chasing them down the croft.

Bill said...

Nice fall decorations. Shari does the honours here and wherever lived before. She did decorate outside our apartment entry when we lived in an apartment. She currently cross stitched fall leaves to place around our cottage.

Emma Springfield said...

I used to decorate everything but no longer do. It seems like too much work for too little appreciation.

Red said...

We don't decorate the front door but do decorate the front window.

diane b said...

We don't decorate for the seasons here. Some have started with Halloween thanks to American influence via technology but it isn't an Australian tradition. Shopping centres jump on the bandwagon and decorate and try to make it a sellers advantage.No we don't decorate except for Christmas. Then it is open slather. Your entry looks lovely.

Doris said...

Yes I certainly do decorate the front porch with mums and pumpkins......I just haven't done it yet this year. Maybe tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool you have a frog and a penguin in with your season decorations!!!
Hugs-Erika

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I love your decorations. So pretty.

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

great decorations.
Happy Thursday

NCmountainwoman said...

Love your decorations. We also decorate for the seasons and fall is one of the most fun. Next week we will add the Halloween decorations to the already existing fall things.

DeniseinVA said...

Very pretty, I enjoyed your fall decorations and have also been enjoying what I have seen locally. Love this time of the year. By the way, I have been having trouble with my iPad opening up comment boxes since I downloaded the update.

DeniseinVA said...

p.s. I am using my non apple product laptop to type this. No problem with this one.

L. D. said...

It makes that area very colorful and fun.

Connie said...

Your decorations are really cute. No, I don't decorate outside. And I only decorate inside for Christmas. I used to do more when my sons were small, but I just don't take the time to do it anymore.