Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Celebrating Together

This weekend would have marked the 72nd wedding anniversary of my parents. They looked like a very happy couple on their wedding day in September 1946. (My favorite wedding photo is the second one in the top row.)
My mother (Clara) was a beautiful bride of 24 years old and my father (Anthony) was 32. They married in September 1946, a year after the end of World War II. 

GM Eastern Aircraft Division, Linden, NJ (Internet source)
During the war years, my mother worked at the former Eastern Aircraft Division of General Motors in Linden, NJ. She and other women (including her sister, Anna)  built wing assemblies for FM-2 Wildcat fighter planes. The term Rosie the Riveter referred to these women who worked in U.S. factories and shipyards during WW II to replace male workers who were serving in the armed forces. 

My father was an electrician working for the U.S. Naval Shipyard on Puget Sound in Bremerton, Washington. 

My parents were childhood sweethearts. Although they are both deceased now, I believe they're celebrating this special day together ❤️ now, and that makes me feel very happy.

Occasionally, I'll be sharing blog posts that include vintage family photos. I'm currently researching my family tree which is like "going down a "rabbit hole." 

11 comments:

possum said...

How nice you have those old photos and memories of a happy family.

Emma Springfield said...

It was a beautiful wedding. I wish you luck on your family tree. It is time-consuming but so worth it.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I always like to see old wedding photos. I like seeing how styles change over time.
Your mom was a beautiful bride.

Anvilcloud said...

What a train! And those bridesmaids were very short. ;)

L. D. said...

This is a great sharing of history of your parents. They are such great photos of the era.

Red said...

Your family tree research will be interesting. Keep us posted.

Valerie said...

Beautiful photographs. I still have a photograph of my parents wedding which will never leave me.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful photographs to hold onto!

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful photos. Good luck with researching your family tree.

diane b said...

That will keep you busy for years.

Connie said...

Old family photos are such treasures. Your parents made for a lovely couple.