Pages

Friday, September 21, 2018

Blogger Issues

Is anyone having an issue with Blogger the past few days, specifically the "dashboard" at the top right of the home page not showing the blog email address and other options? Here's what I mean by "dashboard" and what it displays:
For the record, I'm using an Apple iMac desktop PC with the Safari Internet browser and am not sure if this issue is related specifically to that browser. It could be a coincidence, but all was OK until a recent Safari update to "improve compatibility, privacy and security."  After updating, the issue started. I searched online and came up with other blogger issues and websites that showed "fixes," but I'm not willing to mess with the PC's settings (in these areas, I am tech savy-less).

Here's the recent "issue" the last day. When I open Safari, then access the Frog & Penguinn blog site, the site shows no email or other options (as before).
I selected Sign In because maybe I'd been signed out of Google and then maybe the "dashboard" would return. When I clicked Sign In, it showed me as still signed into Google. This shown below, where you edit posts, and check items (stats, comments, pages, layout, theme, settings, etc.) displayed.  You can also create create a New Post
Selecting View Blog, on the top far right, went back to the blog's home page and again did not display the full "dashboard" but only Create Blog and Sign In (as shown above). This was fast becoming quite frustrating.

What to do?
First, I cleared the computer's website "History" for the past week, closed the browser and reopened it. This time, I had to sign into Google AND the full blog site "dashboard" was back ! Alas, it was temporary. AGAIN, cleared "History" completely (then hd to re-log onto often-used sites. It didn't solve the issue which repeated every time I left the blog site or closed the browser.

A call to Apple Support wasn't helpful and the support rep advised me to contact Google. (Good luck with that I'm thinking BUT see the UPDATE below)

Just wondering — anyone else having recent Google/Blogger issues and, if so, any solution(s) ? 

UPDATE: Shortly after preparing this rant post, I posted to an online Blogger Help Forum and received a reply from Chuck Croll (expert level 10). He posted on the forum and emailed a detailed explanation of possible causes for my "issue." Here's his suggested solutions: 

"This is a known problem (with many symptoms) with Blogger blogs. You are not logged in as the owner of the blog. Log all of the way, out of Blogger/Google and login, again.  When you use the Google login screen, be sure to choose the right account name - and use the right password. Don't use a default Gmail address, unless that is the correct address for your Blogger account.  Blogger / Google will let you use any email address needed, but you have to login carefully. The email address at the top right (which you may or may not see when viewing your blog) tells you what Blogger/Google account you are logged into. This may or may not be the blog owner account."

This was not the problem with my issue, but may be with some bloggers. 

"It's also possible that you have a cookie or script filter, that's blocking your identity from being provided to the "My blogs" wizard.  The Blogger/Google login status, and the ability to use the various pages in the Blogger dashboard, is sensitive to both cookie and script filters.  Each page may be separately affected, by any filter. You may have to clear cache, cookies, and sessions (yes, all 3) - then restart the browser, and login."

This suggestion succeeded in getting the blog "dashboard" to display again. However, I did not delete all cookies, instead selectively removed some which seemed either questionable or were for websites no longer used. Cookies re-populate every day!

Before you try any of these suggestions, clearing the browser history and/or cache and removing cookies be sure will not remove anything that could cause you more "issues" on other websites you access. 

My personal opinion is that the recent Safari update, which included security changes, affected a setting that then affected Blogger on my Apple PC. So, if you're using a different PC, Windows or another Internet browser, this may not be an "issue" for you.

12 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I did not even know the email address was up there, had to look at mine, I see it now though and my preview is fine, I have 3 browsers and it is fine on Edge, firefox and chrome. do you have a second browser to check it in? if you don't have one you should because a few years ago I had only one browser, it disappeared and I thought I would never be able to get it back because you must have a browser to get on the internet. not sure which ones are good with mac. everytime I get an update from Microsoft something is wacky, which means it probably is related to your browser update.

Anvilcloud said...

Ni issues here, except that I still don't receive email updates of ant kind. I followed the procedure to correct this, or at least I tread, but it didn't work. However, I can manage without.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I havent had this problem. I use Chrome as my browser.

Emma Springfield said...

It seems to be on the way to becoming a common problem. Glad you got it fixed.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I didn't experience any issues. I usually use my iPad and I can see the email address on the dashboard.

William Kendall said...

I just had a look at my homepage. All four elements are up there. I tend to use Chrome and IE for browsing.

Red said...

Some of the suggestions for help can be complicated. You remind me to clear history as I haven't done it for a long time.

diane b said...

These problems are so frustrating and usually happens when something upgrades. I use Apple but don't have the problem...yet. I had to use a different browser when my bank upgraded its website. I used Google Chrome and it worked. Try using that.

Valerie said...

I had a couple of days of problems so guessed something was going on. Things haven't been right since the big changeover. I very nearly gave up with internet access altogether.

Doris said...

I am not tech savvy at all....I 'run' to my son for that stuff! I had a brief problem one day (can't remember if it was this week or last) but it seemed to right itself without me needing to mess with anything....that's a very good thing!

DeniseinVA said...

Haven’t had this problem and am sorry you are. Hope it all sorts out for you real soon.

Connie said...

I haven't had this problem with Blogger, but I know some who have had other troubles with Blogger lately. Hope you can figure out how to make it work right for you again.