It’s summertime and after a day of working outside, we like to prepare a fast and easy meal – not fast food or frozen – but one using chicken or seafood. This recipe is from the Taste of Summer Cookbook. We liked it as much as the Spicy BBQ Shrimp & Rice recipe we tried earlier.
The original recipe called for using quick-cooking brown rice, but we prefer to use the standard longer cooking (50 minute) variety; we use Lundburg rice products – a bit more costly, but well worth the expense.
Tropical Shrimp & Rice
Notes: We increased the rice to 1 C for to serve 4 and used cilantro vs. parsley. We omitted the coconut and added a 1/2 C of chopped fresh pineapple (or use canned, chopped pineapple).
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 C whole-grain brown rice
- 1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 small mango, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 C chopped pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1/4 C chopped fresh parsley OR cilantro
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While rice is cooking, heat oven to 350°. Spread coconut on baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes until golden. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add shrimp, reduce to simmer and cook 1-2 minutes until shrimp turn pink. Transfer shrimp to the bowl with rice.
- Add coconut, mango, pineapple (if using) parsley (cilantro), oil, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper to shrimp mixture. Toss well.