There’s only one official July 4 fireworks display in Nashua, NH. It caps off a full day of events at historic Holman Stadium, a local baseball field. In previous years, we've joined neighbors at nearby Renaissance Park to watch them. But, this year, the holiday ended on a hot and humid night, so we watched the display from our apartment. It started about 9:15 pm.
Despite the heat, we did see that folks had gathered in the nearby park and along the riverwalk. This photo was also taken from our apartment window.
Admittedly, I don't have good results when photographing fireworks. This time, I took videos with my cell phone, then extracted some screen shots. The smokestack could have been removed afterwards, but these are SOOC (straight out of camera).
To varying degrees, certain types of fireworks are legal in 49 states, plus Washington, D.C.
Yet, you wouldn’t know that from national sales for Fourth of July fireworks which were up in many places this year, including in New England. The state of New Hampshire ranks 12th in U.S. fireworks sales per capita and is the leader in New England. Also, the absence of a state sales tax pulls in cross-border traffic from neighboring states.
I read an online article about Phantom Fireworks in Hinsdale, NH, which reported that the holiday’s top spender came from Massachusetts and spent over $6,000 in fireworks. That was interesting as MA is one of 4 states that bans the sale of consumer fireworks; however, it allows professionals to use them in approved displays.
Four U.S. states have a ban on the sale of consumer fireworks: Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and Delaware. But, Massachusetts is the only state with a complete ban on all where a law prohibits the sale, possession, and use of all fireworks by private citizens, even sparklers and firecrackers and even if legally purchased in another state. Vermont and Illinois have strict laws as well. In those states, only sparklers and "novelty" smoke devices can be sold to the general public.
The states of Indiana, Missouri and Wyoming have some of the most lenient fireworks laws in the U.S. allowing nearly all types of consumer fireworks (including aerial and explosive devices) with minimal restrictions on their sale and use, although city and county ordinances may apply.Did you know that Missouri is the top state in setting off the most fireworks in the U.S in total volume and per capita? Other states with the highest per capita firework usage are Nebraska, Kansas, Alabama and South Carolina. Lower population density and relaxed state laws generally drive these higher volume numbers. In contrast, states with dense populations and high wildfire risks like California (or those with total consumer firework bans) set off far less.
Your turn — Did you watch any fireworks displays in your area?






22 comments:
...Dorothy, these are GORGEOUS!!!
There was no reason to leave your apartment, the fireworks look fabulous from your windows! There is just rain and mist outside my windows just now (we are in a remote cottage in the Scottish Highlands). There are quite a few restrictions on the sale of fireworks in Scotland, for example an age restriction, how much can be bought and where from. Only licensed sellers for example. Even the time of purchase is regulated, and it is only possible to sell/purchase at certain times of year. I prefer professional fireworks, they feel much safer (I am a bit scared of home fireworks)
Like you, we watched from our house. Your photos are better. Good idea to extract from a video. I don't mind the smokestack at all, but I know that it does obscure the view.
I like the smokestack. It makes the fireworks look like a dandelion on a stem.
Thankfully, this year my St. Louis Missouri suburb lessened the state's per capita average, maybe because of a late afternoon gully-washer of a storm.
Goodness, you had a wonderful view! Honestly, the photos would have been no better if you went there. So why even brave the heat? The photos are so clear and sharp. and I love how you also at the same time captured the buildings and the lights in them. I like that just as well as the fireworks. Really surprising and interesting fireworks facts, too.
I did not watch the fireworks but I heard them. So did the poor dog. You had the best seat as far as I'm concerned.
You had an amazing view of the fireworks. Love your photos and have a very happy week!
Great photographs.
Wishing you a happy week.
All the best Jan
Bravo! These are some great shots!
Beautiful photos!
The view from your home is perfect! Just lovely! We watched the Washington, DC, events that were fabulous!
You have a great view from your apartment for the fireworks. Fireworks are banned all over Australia for private sale. Fireworks are only set off on special occasions by professionals . The ban is to prevent accidents because there were so many burn victims when they were available for private purchase. It is also to prevent bushfires.
You captured the spirit of the evening beautifully.
Watching from home sounds much more comfortable, and the photos turned out wonderfully.
The details about state laws were fascinating -- I had no idea Massachusetts had such a strict ban.
I am not a fan of fireworks, and I would imagine a few people in Washington breathing in foul air feel the same way.
Wow, you had quite the views from your apartment. And you got some great photos too. This year we didn't watch any fireworks. I kind of missed seeing them, but then the heat for those few days had wiped us all out. hugs-Erika
Gorgeous photos, Dorothy.
In the UK the big day for fireworks is New Year's Eve, when many local authorities hold a fireworks display. I'm impressed that Massachusetts has a total ban on private fireworks, which can cause a lot of injuries and terrify pets.
These photos are fabulous. They make me feel as if I were there.
I spent a lot of time on July 4 hiding from the horrendous heat, but, honestly, the fireworks seemed rather tame this year, which is shocking, given that my neighborhood has sounded like the Battle of the Bulge in previous years.
That's so nice that you could see them from inside. We did not go to see any fireworks this year and haven't for a long time.
I love it when we don't have to leave home to see fireworks. Beautiful over the water, too!
dear Dorothy i must say you are so lucky to have such apartment window that provides such a perfect view of river , colors of changing seasons ,water birds and fireworks :)))
you don't need to get out and involve physical effort to take such magnificent shots wow
these are incredible shots indeed ,quite powerful ,enough to deliver delight to heart of your blog visitors :)
o yes i have seen ,mostly on tv lol but sometimes in wedding events but if they are too close i feel uncomfortable because of their busting noise :)
Post a Comment