Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Revisiting Earth Day

Earth Day was celebrated once again in April and the 2024 campaign, Planet vs. Plastics, advocates reducing plastic dependence which most everyone agrees is a very good thing.

My post for this date focused on ways to personally reduce the use of consumable plastics. At the time, I listed some alternatives, a few of which we were already doing plus several others that were being considered. 

I asked fellow bloggers for their suggestions and the comments were informative especially on the topic of dryer balls. The majority had never used them, some had never heard of them, others said they did nothing for static, a couple of folks said they'd been using them for years.

At the time, we were still using dryer sheets and planning to switch to dryer balls which was done shortly after that post. That decision included avoiding any that were manufactured in China, which took some doing, as so many things come from that country. It's a personal decision to avoid China-made products when possible, knowing it's not always possible 

This brand, Smart Sheep, was purchased online (Amazon). According to the website, the company is the result of a partnership between two women, Kalpena in Nepal and Christine in the U.S. 
Kalpana manages the felting process of the dryer balls in Nepal. Christine imports, inspects, and packages them in the U.S. These dryer balls use New Zealand wool.

According to online information this product is manufactured through ethical fair-trade practices and provides good job opportunities for women in Kathamandu, Nepal. I sincerely hope that is the case. Just in case, you're considering a switch to dryer balls, Smart Sheep offers these fun options, which cost from $5 to $10 more than white wool ones. Guess which ones I'm buying the next time.

Staying on laundry, a couple of months ago we were using bottled liquid detergent; while considering a switch to detergent laundry sheets as there were a lot of pluses including the fact of no liquid measuring, so no chance of spillage. Also, less space needed to store plastic containers as detergent sheets usually come in cardboard packaging, less storage space is a plus for apartment dwellers like us. Plus, several bloggers recommended them.

For those not familiar with detergent sheets, these come in pre-measured, dissolvable sheets. Some cons were that they might not dissolve in all water temps or not remove stains and odors. I've used them in cold and warm water temps with no issues. Of course, our laundry doesn't get heavily soiled since we're not working outdoors and there's no children in our home. Others may have different results.

Once again, there was a decision on which product to buy. Again, I wanted a U.S. made product and, on a friend's recommendation, tried a brand made in Canada (close enough). In the future, I may search out other brands, but so far these have been working well for us.

Just so you know, detergent sheets definitely are more costly than liquid detergents. While for us, the extra expense is worth the expense, this may not be true for everyone.

Last, but not least, is that we've stopped using plastic grocery shopping bags, unlike in 12 other states, NH has not banned these in grocery stores. (If you plan to travel, know that single use plastic bags are banned in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington.)

Yes, we were a bit late in returning to using tote bags which oddly enough we were using all the time, pre-pandemic. When we couldn't use them we lazily fell into the practice of using grocery store plastic bags. An upside is that these were then used for trash disposal and that, in turn, meant we didn't buy plastic trash bags. Once the supply runs out, we'll look for alternatives.

Staying on the subject of grocery shopping, we stopped using single-use plastic bags for vegetables and fruit. Instead, this set of mesh bags, also bought online, is brought to the supermarket along with the tote bags, 
better late than never

These are easily washed, air tried, and ready for reuse unlike plastic bags which were always discarded. 

According to the product information, the contents will easily scan at the register; however, that doesn't seem to be true. In the time we've been using them, the cashier has always had to open the bag to scan the item(s).

Finally, this last item has nothing to do with laundry or grocery shopping — it's a change in a bathroom item, switching to a fabric shower curtain liner instead of a plastic one. The plastic one was able to be laundered regularly, but it was still plastic. 

This polyester fabric (non-plastic) one can also be laundered and it dries quickly, also it's more attractive, so I bought it in two different colors, blue and cream

These are some measures we've been taking to lessen our use of plastics and other items harmful to the environment. There are, of course, many others. 

Once again, I invite your comments and/or suggestions on things that work for you. 

26 comments:

Boud said...

I make my own laundry soap, a gallon at a time. The contents -- castile soap, borax and washing soda -- all come in cardboard containers, and I reuse the same gallon container every time. No need for dryer sheets now, either, interestingly. I like knowing what's going into the laundry, no scents.

Bijoux said...

I do like my laundry detergent sheets. They are incredibly cost effective for me. The last box I bought on Amazon was $9.99 for 160 sheets, so much cheaper than liquid. I’m curious to see if you thought the dryer balls did anything for static? They do not for me.

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've used dryer balls at work and like them. I keep saying I will go to the thrift store, buy some wool sweaters, and make my own. However that isn't happening.

gigi-hawaii said...

I am famous for plastic usage. I am too set in my ways to change. Sorry.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Bijoux: to answer your question, I haven't noticed an increase in static using the dryer balls and have been using them at least twice weekly for the past month. I've read that they are rated for so many thousands of dryer cycles, so perhaps that will change in time.

Marie Smith said...

We have cut plastic use but it is so hard to eliminate. We will keep up the effort.

Anvilcloud said...

Good for you.

We've done the balls, sheets and bags although we have no choice on the bags. We didn't source like thou though. Like socks, balls tend to disappear, which is a strange thing, so we have purchased more.

I still use those plastic produce bags and our inner shower curtain is plastic.

MadSnapper said...

I did not know about detergent sheets or mesh bags. i use the totes WHEN i remember them. if THEY stop using the bags, i imagine i would remember them better. i like the idea of polyester shower curtains, I have seen them in hotels. thanks for the info. I have never used dryer sheets. so all is good there

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You have my sincere admiration of and appreciation for your efforts. There is so much we can all do as individuals if we care.

photowannabe said...

We bring our own tote bags into the store here in California. They charge 10cents per plastic bag if you don't use your own.
We always recycle our bottles glass and plastic since they charge us a fee for buying them in the first place so we might as well get some change back.
Never used the balls and I love the penguin ones you showed.
Good for you on being so conscious of the products made in China. I try to do the same.
Sue

Tom said...

...we have fabric shower curtains.

Emma Springfield said...

You are actively working to make our planet a better place. I also like the detergent sheets.

Rita said...

I love my new shower curtain liner, too! Dries fast and doesn't get all stiff and hard to handle in the washer. Wish I had known about these years ago...if they had them years ago--lol!
The trouble is if you are using a drive-up shopping service or a delivery service they use the plastic bags here. The ones they use are supposed to be more environmentally friendly (decompose faster?), but whenever we shop in person we have cloth shopping bags.

I've been using the wool dryer balls for years. I think you may be right--they got old and then I had static. I bought a new set (wish I had seen the lambs--lol!) a few months ago and there's less static!

Once I move I may try dryer sheets for the washer. The building here has issues with water temperature and I can't even use powdered soaps in the dishwasher or washing machine because they are likely not to dissolve. They interest me because they would also take up much less room and no heavy lifting--lol!

I am really excited to be able to recycle once I move, too! Glass, paper, plastic, etc. They don't have recycling pick up at our apartment complex.

I will always be guilty of using lots of paper, though. Snail mail forever! Have journaled since I was nine. Been a letter writer and almost compulsive list maker all my life. A papyrophiliac to my core. All I can do is apologize to the trees. :) I do what I can in other areas, though. ;)

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is lots of really good info! I did not know how the detergent sheets work, you gave a great review. We have a sliding shower door now, but before we did, those plastic shower curtains would smell for weeks! I hate the plastic grocery bags, things dump over and there is no way to pack well.

Sandra said...

I don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener and don't feel I need it. The laundry detergent sheets are interesting. I do use the plastic grocery bags for cleaning the litter boxes. I have glass shower doors, which I do appreciate. I am trying to find ways to use less plastic wrap.

tz_garden said...

I tried these wool balls, unfortunately I had so much static I couldn't continue :(

Debby said...

How funny! I just replaced my shower curtains! I have a clawfoot tub and the shower curtain has to go all the way around, so it takes three shower curtains to do the job. I use the light fabric ones because they do dry very quickly and this reduces the mildewing that often happens. I used the shower balls but, as AC pointed out, they disappear. I think they wind up in the realm of the missing socks and tupperware lids myself.

Jeanie said...

Those look like my felted penguins! Very cute! Like the sheep!

My name is Erika. said...

You've made some big changes. Hurrah. I like the dryer balls. I have some, and they work well. I haven't tried laundry sheets, but I have friends who swear by them. I am definitely thinking about getting them once I use up the detergent that I have. Hope you're having a nice week.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks so much for having a conversation about what people can do to deal with climate change...even though they may not be thinking that way. My carrying a cup and metal utensils, and a washable cloth napkin to the Senior Lunch program has blossomed, and I think there are a half dozen others doing the same now. They also are limiting use of plastic table clothes and talking about people bringing their own place mats. I can't see doing that, because the cardboard trays (hoorah not Styrofoam any more) leak various things through as you're eating. I'm ready to toss the plastic shower liner. Thanks for the reminder! Laundry sheets for at least 2 years now, no dryer sheets for at least 10. And though I've got little mesh bags for produce, I seldom have them to hand when needed...but always use reusable tote bags for groceries. These conversations are always a boost for me to read!

MARY G said...

It is ironic that I am now keeping house a lot like my grandmother did things in the preplastic era. I have watched my daughters also reduce plastic use to almost nothing. Ontario has banned some obvious plastic products, such as one use grocery bags, but there is still a lot going into the landfill. I have a hybrid vehicle because where we live is far from recharge ease. It seems to me, though, that we will keep using petroleum products until we run out of petroleum, just because it is so much easier. By 'we' I mean the world as a whole.

gigi-hawaii said...

I should amend what I said earlier. Hawaii passed laws banning plastic utensils, cups and grocery bags, even styrofoam. All of that has been banned. Now, people and restaurants must use biodegradable products. So, now, grocery bags will eventually disintegrate into dust. Never use them for storage for that reason. So, Hawaii is making progress. What doesn't change, however are plastic water bottles.

Rob Lenihan said...

Thank you for the recommendations. I have a lot more to do in this area.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

We use those dryerballs and Barb swears by them. Zoey however, loves them as well and if one escapes the dryer, she is off with it like a rocket!

nick said...

We don't have a tumble dryer and I'd never heard of dryer balls, so I can't add anything else here! And we don't have shower curtains, just glass doors.

baili said...

bravo for your efforts to meet measures taken for using environment friendly stuff as much as possible dear Dorothy

i use detergent for laundry instead soap .it is hard to find liquid detergent actually so powder is less though safe option.

authorities try take control over plastic bag use time to time but it lasts for weeks hardly and plastic is everywhere in no time again sadly .the biggest issue for keeping the state clean are being faced due to terrible spread of plastic bag use which can be seen stuck all over the places .it hurt as a citizen a lot .thankfully i have habit to avoid my own mess in others so i keep my trash in my bag during picnic and brought home back to throw in bin eventually
thanks for motivation shaing my friend i appreciate it a lot!