Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2023

We've Been Moonlighting

No, we haven't been working at a side job or any job for that matter. 

The moonlighting in the post title refers to Moonlighting, the 1980s television show which starred Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd. It had a two-hour debut on ABC on Sunday, March 3,1985 and was later shifted to Tuesday nights at 10 pm.

Seasons 1 & 2 DVD
Full disclosure, we never watched the weekly show years ago, and so were never avid followers. That said, this past week, we've been viewing a library borrowed DVD set of seasons 1 and 2, and nearly 40 years later finding it funny and absurd.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the show (there may be some)Shepherd and Willis, played private investigators who began working together after top model Maddie Hayes was stripped of her financial assets by her unscrupulous accountant who cleared out his office and skipped town. 

No tears for Maddie who still had an upscale home, pricey car, lots of clothes, and several business, which she learns were money-losing ventures maintained as tax write-offs. Her lawyer advises her to dump them as she's (that's right) out of money. The City of Angels Detective Agency is one of those businesses to be shed, until David Addison, a wisecracking investigator who has been running it persuades her to run it. Since she's already the boss, she agrees and renames it the Blue Moon Detective Agency after a shampoo brand she famously advertised during her career. 

The show opened to critical acclaim, became a hit and developed a cult-like following. Shepherd and Willis were called the Tracy/Hepburn equivalent of the 1980s. Even though the concept of them as case-solving detectives was an odd pairing which, in turn, became a big part of the show's appeal. Their love-hate relationship and snarky comebacks kept viewers watching this trend-setting show that merged drama, comedy, mystery, and romance. 

Moonlighting was never meant to be taken as a serious detective show. It's so far off that mark. There was never any reference to David Addison's investigative training or experience; Maddie Hayes work experience was in modeling. Despite being embezzled, she dresses well, maintains an upscale lifestyle, and drives a late model BMW. It's not a depressing lifestyle in the least.
Promotional photos of Moonlighting stars, Willis & Shepherd (Internet sources)
The show has been compared to screwball classic films by Howard Hawks and Preston Sturgis. Photos of the show leads focused on the physical attraction between Willis and Shepherd. By comparison, photos from the earlier screwball comedies were much more modest.
Scene from The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice episode
As well as being credited with helping Willis become a star, the show gave Shepherd’s career a needed boost. The 30-year old Willis was one of 3,000 actors who tested for the role of David Addison. The role of Maddie Hayes was written specifically for the 35-year old Shepherd, who didn't even screen test for the role. She was often shot with diffusion lenses to look as leading ladies did in 1940s films.

Allyce Beasley, Cybill Shepherd, Bruce Willis
Yes, cases were solved within the hour-long show, but how that happened was where the fun always came in. There's a lot of fast talking banter and very loud dialogue between the two leads, sometimes it's was hard to keep up. The cast also included Allyce Beasley as a quirky receptionist (Agnes DiPesto) who answered the office phone in rhymes. It was fun, but also very annoying.

After a couple of years, production was affected because the main stars took time off for feature films. Willis became a major star after the first Die Hard film. Original episodes became sporadic and viewers never knew until tuning in whether or not they were going to see a new episode or a rerun. 

Moonlighting drew its highest viewer rating on March 31,1987, when, in a bid to resurrect interest, David and Maddie finally consummated their long-standing love-hate relationship. The episode pulled 44 percent of the TV audience, outpolling the Academy Awards show. But, afterwards, ratings plunged, as critics and audiences left for other prime-time programs.

After five seasons and 67 episodes, the show ended on May 14,1989. The actors reportedly were not working well, viewers lost interest, and those all-important ratings dropped.

Curious, as always, to learn more, I read that back then Moonlighting was one of the most expensive series on TV, costing on average about  $1.6 million per episode. ABC covered the cost since the network owned the show and it was more profitable than if the series was owned by a separate production company. Because of scenes in which both actors simultaneously talked so long, scripts were two to three times longer than that of a similar hour-long drama.

Episodes were shot in 12 to 14 days, nearly double the usual 7 days for an hour-long series. At times, dialogue was written hours before shooting, scenes were filmed days before airing. There were many delays; the series never hit the usual 26 episodes per season.

It had a unique feature as when Willis and Shepherd would look directly into the camera and talk to the audience, a performance convention called breaking the fourth wall, and it was fun to watch. In this convention, an imaginary wall separates actors from the audience. The audience can see through the wall, but the convention assumes the actors continue as if they cannot.

To date, Moonlighting has not moved to any streaming platform. The show has only been released on DVDs for home media use. Update: a blogger friend emailed to let me know that episodes can be viewed on YouTube, if anyone is interested.

Why? It's been caught up in music rights issues. If music is involved in the production of a TV show or movie, lots of folks want more dollars from streaming rights.

That wasn't an issue when Moonlighting first hit TV screens according to series creator and producer Glenn Gordon Caron: When we made Moonlighting, television shows didn't typically use pop music. It was really just us and Miami Vice. So when deals were made for the music, no one anticipated streaming. In order to exhibit the show [on streaming], the owner of the shows, now the Walt Disney Company, has to go back and make deals for all that music – and they've resisted doing that for six or seven years now. 

Since that's not expected to be a quick process, it means that Moonlighting most likely won't  be available for streaming anytime soon. That means you'll have to borrow or buy the DVDs.
Moonlighting Seasons 3, 4 and 5 (final season) DVDs
But, if you're a fan, good news is that Moonlighting is available on DVDs; bad news is that the DVDs are costly—Amazon has Seasons 1 and 2 for $69 and prices for the remaining series go upwards to $120 for Season 5; the pilot episode goes for $89. 
Moonlighting Show Pilot DVD
Is the show worth watching? Yes, because as illogical and absurd some most of the episodes are, we've been laughing and they're funny vs. violent. However, once we've watched Season 1 and 2 DVDs we won't go out of our way to watch the remaining seasons. 
The Moonlighting theme song was co-written by Lee Holdridge and jazz singer Al Jarreau, who sang it at the show's start. In 1987, it reached #1 in the U.S. For anyone who needs a Moonlighting fix, this video has the show theme and episode scenes. Enjoy.

Your turn—any memories of a favorite show, and, if so, would you watch it again?

23 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never seen the show, so I am unable to offer any words of wisdom, approval or disapproval!

baili said...

oh i never knew Bruce started from tv show
we whole family loved watching his all movies ,specially my elder sons .the lady is also quite familiar.

i really enjoyed learning about amazing show ,i agree that from your description show does not seems a detective show but only entertaining very much actually .
i like to enjoy such shows and movies but now more than ever .to enjoy an entertaining show one needs no logic just fine humor only :)
and a good frame indeed which keep things in control and won't get them boring.
thank you for wonderful sharing dear Dorothy !
blessings and hugs

NewRobin13 said...

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about this TV show. I remember watching it back in the day. Not often, but every now and then.

DUTA said...

I used to watch the series, but for some unexplained reason, I didn't like the
lady actress.

Barbara Rogers said...

I was a fan! And I would always tune in whether it was rerun or not...though my attention may have gone elsewhere for reruns. Sybill Shepard was my star - favorite, and Bruce Willis just came along for the ride as male counterpart...which he did very well, and didn't outshine Sybill! Of course that was how the role was written. (Writers strike over yet?)

Sandra said...

I was a fan of this series, but like most of them, it lost it's appeal after a few years. Makes me think of another, Remington Steele. Pierce Brosnan got his start in that one. It stands out for me because I bred a mare to a stallion, Rhemington Steele, the resulting foal I named Tempered Steele!

Bijoux said...

We were fans of the show and had time to watch it, as this was before we had kids. We had lots of faves from that era, like Taxi, L.A. Law, and Growing Pains. I probably wouldn’t rewatch anything because there are so many new shows I like to try. I generally don’t reread books, either.

MadSnapper said...

Have not seen this , it is from the times i was living with 3 males, 1 hubby 2 teen boys. the tiny TV we had then they had control of it. I went to my room and read. I do love both of these actors but not something I would watch, then or now. I tried a few of the old sitcoms and even though I loved them back then could not watch them now. Even Archie who used to make me laugh I can't stand to watch. I do still sometimes watch Opie and Andy in their show that i can't seem to remember the name right now, which is dumb because last week i watched one.

Emma Springfield said...

My son and I were discussing Moonlighting just a couple of nights ago. It is a great show.

DeniseinVA said...

Moonlighting used to be one of our favorites, and it was the first time I had ever heard of Bruce Willis. I learned a lot about the show that I didn’t know so thanks for all the research. It made a fascinating read.

Rita said...

I wasn't a fan of Cybill Shepherd but I do remember watching the show once in a while. Also remember I totally quit even occasional watching because of never knowing if it was a repeat.

Linda G. said...

I remember this show. I would watch it again, if it ever streams.

Anvilcloud said...

I MAY have seen an episode or two, but I don’t really remember for sure. Just think evening we tried to watch an old British show and had to give up. It didn’t travel though time very well.

diane b said...

I've never seen the show. It sounds a bit like the English series called Shakespeare and Hathaway (The names of the detectives) It is not an old show we watched it last year. It was funny and interesting without road chases and violence. Not sure if it is streaming but I would think so. I understand about the music problem because my son in law is a composer and spotify ruins musicians careers and record companies. Luckily he gets paid royalties every time his show, "Fireman Sam" is shown. (A children's series"

William Kendall said...

I had never seen it.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Big fan of the show here
Watched every episode
Don't remember much other than the big clock Even then, I can't say why.

The issue of music rights is weird. I don't get why they don't remove or replace it.

Lee said...

I only ever saw a few...very few...episodes of this series when it was first around, too. I might have to do a re-visit.

I enjoy watching the older series (presently I'm bingeing, streaming "Law & Order". I find it interesting to see familiar faces who've made their names through the ensuing years in other series and movies...their early days when they were much younger. :)

Veronica Lee said...

I remember watching the series.
Loved the chemistry between Bruce and Cybil.


Hugs and blessings, Dorothy

Rob Lenihan said...


I never watched "Moonlighting" when it was on, even though I'd heard good things.

I checked Netflix and while they have the DVDs, they're dropping their disc business in September, so I'd better hurry!

I was a huge fan of show called "The Prisoner" which ran as a summer replacement show in 1967 and was really weird. But I'd love to watch it again!

David said...

Hi Beatrice, My better half loves watching "Medium". It's on TV reruns at Noon so no issues there. Our mutual favorite, the first few seasons for me, all of them for Laurie, is "Castle". Great chemistry between the leads... As for "Moonlighting", we loved that series but I'd forgotten all about it. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Doris said...

I don't recall ever watching that show but I do remember it. The years it was on I was pretty busy with young children...and staying up to watch a show was probably not happening!

CrystalChick said...

I don't remember many details or episodes of Moonlighting, but I'm sure we saw of few of them when originally aired. Your additional info explains why I haven't seen reruns on any of our stations or streaming apps.
We watch a lot of t.v. and only very occasionally go again on a series. (Doc Martin has been a more recent binge though) We tend to re-watch movies, they take less time! Old series maybe we'd just watch an episode here and there if it was a good one.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was interesting about the music and streaming rights. Never thought about that. Interesting too about all that dialog and being finished just before the show. Gosh they'd be in serious trouble if it were being made right now with the Writer's Strike.