Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Fall is Here at Home

It's Fall —at our home, at least as the weather here in Nashua, NH, finally is starting to feel and look more autumnal. By the way, that word (autumnal) was in a recent issue of Yankee Magazine, about fall in New England. So, a perfect choice to use here.
Fall decos🎃🌻 went up outside our apt a couple weeks ago before the recent Labor Day weekend, traditionally considered the end of summer. Summer temps were unusually high for New England this year, so thinking cooler was definitely on my mind. Here's the 10-day forecast for Nashua, NH. Maybe wishful thinking helped just a little ?
Temps were still in the high 80s and near 90 when theses all came out of hibernation from a tub in the storage unit, after all, isn't that where seasonal decos go? At least that's where happens here. Thankfully, the storage unit is on the same floor as our apt, just a walk down the hallway. There's no garage storage in the underground parking area.
Of course, regular readers of this blog may already have seen most of these decos in autumn posts for several years. There have been some slight yearly variations, but not many.
My decorating plan was to replace most of these with new decos from the local Dollar Tree, where nearly all were purchased over the years. When, I found out that the taller scarecrows were still being sold, only now cost $1.25 each, the old ones would do just fine, once again. Some of the smaller scarecrows were not even available this year.

So, the old saying, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It worked for my decorating plans, once again.
Curious about the origin of that ↑ phrase, I did some online sleuthing and found out this idiom has only been documented since 1977, although many believe that it's much older than that.

Pres. Carter & Bert Lance
It's said to have originated in the USA in the 20th century attributed to Thomas Bertram Lance, known as Bert Lance, a close adviser to President Jimmy Carter during his 1976 campaign. Lance was director of the Office of Management and the Budget in Carter's cabinet. In May 1977, he was quoted using the phrase in the newsletter of the US Chamber of Commerce.

While Lance certainly popularized the phrase, it's believed to have originated as a colloquial phrase in southern states years before his celebrated use. However, it began, within a few short years, if it ain't broke, don't fix it became so established as a part of the language that it's become a cliché.

So now you and I, once again know, the rest of the story; you're welcome too.

Your turn—ready for cooler weather in your area?

(If you live in CA and nearby states, hopefully the dual issues of extreme heat and rolling blackouts will be improving soon.)

24 comments:

Latane Barton said...

You certainly look autumnal! First time I ever heard that word but I like it. I don't have storage so my holiday decor is always limited. Wish I could do more but it is what it is.

Kathy said...

I love your fall decor. I haven't gotten any of mine out yet. I usually wait until mid September, but I may get going a week early this year.

That was so interesting about "If it ain't broke..." I say that a lot.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I, along with many others I suspect, will be quite happy to see the summer fade into memory. I will embrace cooler weather and look forward with great eagerness to the first frost.

MadSnapper said...

your decorations are beautiful and I see no reason to replace, even if they are years old, they only get put out once a year for a few weeks, and all they do is sit there, which means they will never wear out. it looks like a store display to me. I have heard that idiom my entire life, as far back as i can remember

NewRobin13 said...

Love seeing those autumnal decorations there. I love the time of equinox. Here in coastal northern California the temperature has been lovely and mild. Unlike the rest of California where the thermometer has been rising enough to break record heat. I'm so glad that fall is on its way.

Jon said...

It's never too early for autumn, as far as I'm concerned, and your decorations are charming.

The weather is cooling here in TN. Last night it was in the 50s and almost chilly. I'm ready for a cup of hot tea.

Anvilcloud said...

Wow! Thou art keen. I imagine that Sue will get out her autumn stuff on the weekend or next week. My only contribution to the exercise will be to purchase a pot or two of mums.

William Kendall said...

Cooler days here, and especially cooler nights. That said, at some point in the night I'm shutting my windows as there's road work happening each morning by seven.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Like you, I just couldn't wait any longer either to put out our "autumnal decorations". We had guests here on labor day, and they pleasantly surprised to see autumn leaves and pumpkins and a small scarecrow. I will put out my larger one in the front yard as we get a little further into fall. I was hoping the decorations would help usher in some cooler temps here in Florida as well, but alas! Labor Day hovered around the 95 degree mark all day. We were quite thankful to be indoors in our air conditioned home. Hearing you say "autumnal" reminds me of the time many many years ago we flew up to NH the first week of October to spend our grandson's 5th or 6th birthday with him. When I remarked at how beautiful the fall leaves were he corrected me and said it was the "autumnal equinox", not Fall! He always loved big words. I was stunned. He will be 23 this October. I wish I could fly up there and have him tell me that again! LOL. Thank you for sharing your lovely autumnal decorations with us. I hope you will soon have the temperatures to go along with them...and the beautiful leaves too!!

Bijoux said...

I’m never ready for cooler weather, but I did get out my fall decor yesterday. It’s a process, because I also swap out pictures in frames to go with the season. So, lots of ones of my kids and grands in leaves or Halloween costumes.

I was just at Dollar Tree today, doing mental math in line to see how close I could come to the total (with tax). I was only 3 cents off :) More challenging with the new prices.

Margaret D said...

The decorations are lovely.

DUTA said...

Orange colour is one of my favorites.
I welcome autumn's cooler weather, but dread the cold one following it in winter.
Anyway, the phrase 'if ain't broken, don't fix it' - is quite popular, helping us in the right direction.

Barbara Rogers said...

Autumn is my favorite season, more so since I have hay fever under control. It's chilly here this morning, a crow wishing everyone well. Soon rain will mean closing the windows. Love your decorations. I just don't bother with all the other things happening. I sometimes manage to decorate for Christmas!

Veronica Lee said...

I love your fall decor.

Wish we had fall here! 🍂🍁🎃

Hugs and blessings, Dorothy.

Carola Bartz said...

Since autumn is my favorite season I really look forward to it. It also means planting in the garden since fall is our main planting time. It has been so hot (on Tuesday we had 115 F), I'm not thinking of decorating for fall. I usually don't do much anyway; I gave most of our Halloween decorations to a family with young kids a few houses down and I can enjoy them there. I love to decorate with pumpkins and that's what I will probably do again. Your autumn decoration looks beautiful, I love all the orange color. The little scarecrows are cute and perfectly fine. I like the crow with the blanket (?) best.

gigi-hawaii said...

I think temperatures in the 60s are too cold for me. Here it is still hot in the 80s.

L. D. said...

Love all the fall colors. I at first thought that all that colors were trees. You always have great displays.

mimmylynn said...

We seem to be jumping from summer to winter. I really like autumn but I suppose it will come next year.

DeniseinVA said...

In my humble opinion it is a good thing to start early, and your autumnal decorations are very pretty and inviting. Our weather is getting a tad cooler and I am so looking forward to Fall temperatures.

I also want to say how much I enjoyed the post about your Mother and the Queen. Happy Birthday to your mom. Touching mention and connection to Queen Elizabeth's passing.

LL Cool Joe said...

Here in the UK we call it Autumn not the fall. I do love the way you decorate for the season. I'm very impressed, the most I do is decorate the house for Christmas and that seems a lot!

nick said...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a common expression over here too. I don't think many people abide by it though. They're busy remodelling their house or updating their car or updating something or other. I love all your fall decorations. They're so colourful.

Rob Lenihan said...


I love the decorations. It's supposed to be warm here in Brooklyn for at least another week.

Thanks for the story behind "If it ain't broke..." I hadn't heard Bert Lance's name in ages.

There's a story about a young man who created a bogus express "Boom goes the dynamite!" and stood back and watched it spread.

Jeanie said...

I'm not at ALL ready for cool weather. We've barely had a summer! I've no fall decs up yet, apart from a small bowl with gourds I bought today at the store. Maybe by the weekend...

Linda said...

I never tire of seeing fall decorations and I love how bright and cheerful all of yours are! It's hard to 'get rid' of things - at least for me - so I tend to add to my collections and just decorate more. Eventually even I have to pitch some of them in time....
It seems to be very warm nearly everywhere! Here in the Ozark Mountains, it's been in the upper 80's all week. Going back to Texas in the morning and it will be in the low 90's.....
Oh, FALL!!! Where art thou???