Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Birthday Gift Cards

Spoiler Alert: This post is about a birthday, but more so an accounting of what happened to a birthday gift sent to the celebrant. This incident was a first for us, but is now a case of Buyer Beware. It's a gift we won't be repeating in future as alternate gift plans will be made.

Family celebrations continued this month. After Grenville's mid-July birthday, the next birthday was for the oldest granddaughter who celebrated her 11th birthday last week.

This year, we did not visit on her actual birthday as she and her brother would be away on a camping trip. Our visit will follow soon. 

Her mom told us that she didn't specify any specific gifts, with a suggestion to send gift cards. Gift cards were purchased, then mailed with some gifts. 

Not sure about anyone else, but every time I purchase a gift card, there's always been the concern — what if it doesn't arrive or work for the recipient?

Be careful about such thoughts . . .
The package arrived safely, but after the gift cards were tried, she let us know that the claim code on the back of the Amazon gift card would not work. Her mother confirmed this issue as well.

What to do next?
Still had the CVS receipt which showed that both gift card purchases had been activated, plus a notice that no refunds were given, once activated. A call to CVS and talk with a store manager confirmed the store had no responsibility for a non-working gift card activated there. 

I was told to contact Amazon. Yes, you can find a number to call if you poke around online. In some cases, you may have to enter your phone number for a call back, as in my case.

An Amazon representative called me and the process began. Many questions followed, too many to repeat, including what credit card was used to buy the gift card. 

No, that info was not provided as the issue was not with my card, but the gift card. Questions included where it was bought and the activation number, which her mom had provided via a text message. That info was given to Amazon and surprisingly, the claim code would not activate for the Amazon rep as well.

The first Amazon representative (yes, there were a couple) told me an email requesting much of the same information would be sent to my email and provided an email to return the responses. The email came, questions were answered, email sent, message received that the provided email did not accept emails!

That's right, another call to Amazon, another representative, more questions, more answers and FINALLY a request to give the Amazon account number. An explanation that she did not have an account, but used her mom's account and access permission would need to come from her. After providing an email address, Amazon sent her a direct email to request account access. 

More checking by the Amazon rep, most likely to verify that no gift card had been activated in the account.

Eureka !  the Amazon rep said that a gift card credit would be issued for the granddaughter's in her mom's account. We received confirmation from granddaughter and mom that this worked.

Total time for calls to CVS and Amazon — 2 hours, which wasn't how I'd planned to spend my evening, who would?

Lesson learned was not to buy gift cards in future, especially when sending to someone. That's because no matter
 where a gift card is bought and activated, that store, most likely, won't issue a refund if there's a problem. The responsibility to resolve any issues will go to the card purchaser or recipient to contact and follow-up with the card issuer. 

In some cases, like on the Amazon card, there wasn't a phone number to call, only an email contact in case of gift card scams.

Now, you know, and so do we.

17 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That is weird. Thankfully, we have never run into such a problem.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I never shop at Amazon and I don't buy gift cards so it's not an issue for me, but you have to wonder how many times this experience has been repeated and how much windfall profit accrues to Amazon, when people don't have your tenacity, and simply accept that they have lost the money. How many gift cards are lost or for one reason or another never redeemed? My only experience with gift cards has been as a recipient and then only from our local bookstore or my favourite deli, issued and redeemed by the same store. I have never had a problem.

Barbara Rogers said...

So sorry to hear of all those calls and emails to get the gift card to work. I had just started sending them for gifts last Christmas...finally giving up shopping for the grands who are almost all adults now. Now I'll think twice!

CrystalChick said...

Camping and a trip to the Bahamas, nice!! She looks like she was enjoying herself. As for the gift card... that's a lot of time to deal with an issue. Glad it was resolved. We were given one years back to a restaurant. When it was time to pay, we turned it in. The waitress came back with it saying it was not going thru and what other way would we want to pay. I had to ask for a manager. We wouldn't have gone to eat there without being able to use that gift. She did honor it, guess she didn't have to, but we could have left a bad review and she was probably trying to avoid that. She said they do have issues occasionally with cards that are bought outside the restaurant.
Now, if we have a gc, I check the balance before going out.
~Mary

Marcia said...

Never have given Amazon gift cards. I recall a problem once with a gift card I gave to my parents purchased at a grocery store. I think it never was activated. No recollection of how we resolved that.
Last month I sent a "graduation" card to granddaughter #3 in Buffalo and included $5 in cash. The card never arrived. I've never sent cash before but won't do it again. I'll stick to a check. I really don't know if the cash was the reason the card never arrived. Continues to be a mystery!

MadSnapper said...

I have not bought gift cards because of the problems others have had. a friend bought one and someone had stolen he info and already used the card, bought at Walmart
For my sons and their wives, if they want Amazon, i do he gift card email and it works like a charm. If they want cash, I use Walmart. the last few times i went to the store, but I think it can be done on line now. My son needed 200.00. I went to Walmart, and with 2 hours he could pick up CASH at his local walmart. That is the way to go, they just go pick it up. He lives in TN and that is how I send money to them

MadSnapper said...

totaly forgot to say how beautiful Ellie is and I love the hat and glasses and her lips are beautiful and I wish mine look like hers. All the grands are growing sooo fast

Jeanie said...

What a mess. I have had problems with gift cards, too. In fact, I have one I bought some time ago and haven't given yet and had thought maybe I should keep it for myself and give the person something else. Now I'm worried.

Ellie looks lovely. I'm so glad everything got straightened out.

Bijoux said...

What a hassle! So sorry you had to go through all of that. I have never had a problem, except when I found out that Amazon will not split a payment between two things . . . such as a debit card and a credit card. I sometimes get a digital debit card as a rebate for something and rather than try to use it at a store, I thought it would be easier to just use it on Amazon. Well, it has to be for the exact amount of purchase. I did some research and found the work around, which is to use the debit card to buy an Amazon gift card online and leave it in my account for the next purchase. Another hassle!

Happy Birthday to Ellie! The Bahamas look grand!

NewRobin13 said...

I've never bought an amazon gift care, and now I never will.
Happy birthday to Ellie!

mimmylynn said...

I know I say it every time but how did they get so grown up?

William Kendall said...

Quite a headache. Happy birthday to her.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Yikes! If that has ever happened to a gift card that we have sent anyone, they never told us. However, now I remember that my hubby has a "Visa Gift Card" that was given him, and when we tried to use it they wanted a pin code, which we did not have. I need to call the company and talk to them about this, but haven't gotten around to it. Since when do we need to set up a pin code or password to use a gift card??? Hmmm, guess I'd better get on the phone and talk to ten different people in foreign countries to find out. NOt sure the gift card is worth the hassle...but that's what they are hoping I guess...

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Birthday to Ellie! Aloha from Hawaii. We always have good service from Amazon. And gift cards are always welcome by us. Our daughter gave us a $100 gift card to a restaurant for Christmas, which was used and appreciated.

My name is Erika. said...

WE were gifted a restaurant gift card once, and when it didn't work the restaurant wouldn't honor it. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I think that's pretty sad VS wouldn't honor the gift card seeing you had the receipt also. I hope you get to go celebrate the big day with her soon. hugs-Erika

Rob Lenihan said...

What a pain in the neck!

I've heard that companies rely on the majority of people not cashing in their gift cards. That way these corporations get money for nothing.

Happy Birthday, Ellie!

DeniseinVA said...

Happy Birthday to Elle and Pat and super photos. Sorry about all the hassle over the gift card and glad your diligence sorted it out. You will help a lot of people with similar difficulties because of this post, and I will be bookmarking it just in case. Happy August!