Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Good Reads Many Ways

Internet source
Over the past year and a half, one thing that many folks have been doing more than ever before (besides online movie streaming and binging) is reading, m
yself included. That's why I was surprised to see that the last time I posted about any of my good reads was in such a while ago, August 2020. I've been reading a lot more since then.

I've always read a lot, without ever tallying my annual reading numbers. However, with most things being defined by confinement of sorts last year, I kept a running total. It came to 61 including a dozen or so audio books. My total, while less than many fellow bloggers, was amazing to me and I suspect it's much larger than previous years. My preference has usually been fiction, but there were at least 5 non-fiction titles in that tally, surprising even myself. 

Nashua, NH, Public Library
A big difference from previous years was that my 2020 and now 2021 reading has mainly consisted of 
e-books and audio books downloaded from the Nashua Public Library (NPL) website. The library building was closed for months and recently reopened with restrictions. 

During the shutdown, books and other items could be requested online and picked up curbside, that's still possible even though the library has reopened. But, as there's no sitting areas available, staying in the library is not as enjoyable as before the you-know-what current situation.

That's why downloading from the comfort of home, and reading on a Kindle paperwhite e-reader became very convenient. A huge benefit was that every e-book (regardless of physical size) weighed the same, built-in backlighting made reading in bed easier, and there no distractions as my Kindle is just an e-reader. And, a built-in dictionary was of great use.
 
In the same way, audio books downloaded to my cell phone were very convenient to listen to when doing chores, meal prepping, waiting for appointments, walking on a treadmill. As a friend, and long-time audio book listener explained, enjoy them when doing mindless activities that don't require your full attention. In so doing, I listened to readers who provided wonderful narratives in various voices, favorites include Cassandra Campbell, Simon Vance and James Langton.

Don't misunderstand, hardcover books are wonderful. I'll always return to reading them, but in unsettling times, it's been so easy to read or listen then return a book (14-day loan limit) without going out. A handy plus is that downloaded books would time-out on the expiration loan date, handy if one should forget to return one on line.

My thanks to countless bloggers who have posted about current and/or favorite reads. I've been introduced to and enjoyed authors I've not read, such as Elly Griffiths, Peter James, Catherine Steadman and more. A downside has been that sometimes the NPL didn't have a recommended book in any format, print or otherwise.

My favorite literary genres includes mysteries and historical fiction as even when some (or all) of the characters and all of the dialogue has been created by an author, many novels retain some basis in factual events. Personal favorites historical fiction authors include Marie Benedict (The Only Woman in the Room, The Other Einstein, Carnegie's Maid), Beatriz Williams (The Golden Hour, Her Last Flight, The Secret Life of Violet Grant), Fiona Davis (The Lions of Fifth Avenue, The Address, The Dollhouse) and Erik Larson (The Devil in the White City, Dead Wake, Thunderstruck, The Splendid and the Vile). 

Recently, I completed two historical fiction series set in 1800s England. Each series features a prominent male protagonist; one is an adventurer and the son of a baron, the other is an American doctor in London. The series were written by two female authors, British and American. 

Tessa Harris
British author Tessa Harris studied history at Oxford University followed by a career in journalism as a newspaper reporter and magazine writer. According to her website, she developed the Silkstone character after winning a screenplay writing competition later opted by a film company.

Her six-book mystery series featuring Dr. Thomas Silkstone mystery was published between 2011 to 2016. Set in 1870s London, England, the main protagonist (Silkstone) is introduced in the first novel as a young anatomist and forensic scientist from Philadelphia, PA. A crucial element at the start is that Silkstone finds his way to England in the 18th century, when America is fighting the War of Independence against British forces.

The Anatomist’s Apprentice introduces Dr. Silkstone arriving in London as the apprentice of a famous anatomist. He's described as a pioneering detective in the world of forensic medicine who introduces unconventional methods of investigating suspected murders. An American by citizenship, he's considered an outsider by Londoners. In the first novel, the author credits Silkstone with several firsts, such as recording the stages of decomposition and observing insects on a corpse to determine the time of death. In subsequent novels, he uses these techniques and many others to solve some perplexing murders.

Luckily, I found the entire Silkstone series —The Anatomist's Apprentice, The Dead Shall Not Rest, Devil's Breath, Lazarus Curse, Shadow of Raven, Secrets in Stone — as downloadable library e-books. These were very compulsive fast reads, which I binged on in sequence.
Harris has also written a second mystery series featuring Constance Piper with three books in this series: The Sixth Victim,The Angel Makers, and A Deadly Deception. The downside is that currently none are available through the library's website.

D.M. Quincy
American author D.M. Quincy, who grew up living in various countries as the daughter of a U.S. Foreign Service officer, now lives in Virginia with her family. In her career as TV journalist, she covered crimes, that included violent unsolved murders. According to her website, one summer she read all the romantic fiction books available at the local library. This led her to create her own historical and romantic fiction characters. 

The Atlas Catesby novels were written from 2017 to 2019. According to the author's website, the events in the three-book series were inspired by true-life murders. 

The novels are set in 1800s Regency England, a period of elegance and extravagance, crime and poverty. This is the world surrounding amateur sleuth Atlas Catesby, an adventurer who not only travels the world, but has a penchant for solving puzzles which inexplicably draws him into murder investigations and their solutions.
Murder in Mayfair was inspired by a real incident that happened in the 1700s, when a duke purchased the wife of an hustler who was selling the woman to the highest bidder. 

Murder in Bloomsbury borrows liberally from a sensational murder trial that occurred in mid-1800s Scotland. Glasgow socialite Madeleine Smith was accused of killing her low-born lover. Letters detailing the passionate secret love affair were introduced in court and scandalized society at the time.

Murder at the Opera resulted from the 1779 murder of Martha Ray, a British singer and the longtime mistress of the 4th Earl of Sandwich, who supposedly having invented the sandwich.

Like the Silkstone series, I was fortunate to download this series from the library website and like that previous series, found them to be fast, compulsive reading.

Like Harris, Quincy has also written a second series but under her given name, Diana Quincy. The Accidental Peers series is historical romance with four novels: Seducing Charlotte, Tempting Bella, Compromising Willa, Her Night with the Duke. However, this series doesn't hold an appeal for me and, like the previous second series, none are available through the library's website.
As mentioned, downloadable e-books and audio books have been enjoyable and so convenient these past many months, but I still crave the pleasures of hardcover books. Luckily, last week's library visit resulted in three checkouts, including these new ↑ mysteries by favorite authors Donna Leon and Charles Finch.

If anyone has read or decides to read the Dr. Silkstone or Atlas Catesby novel, please let me know your opinions in one of your future posts. I would be interested in your comments.

27 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Some people don't like ebooks or audiobooks. I don't mind either although I am not always in the mood for audio. Recently however, I did listen to both the latest Robert Galbraith and Louise Penny books. While I may prefer somewhat to read in the old way, I really don't mind ebooks. But if it is a more difficult non-fiction, especially the kind where I might want to underline, I definitely prefer paper. The Silkstone mysteries sound appealing, but I will probably never remember to check them out.

Christina said...

Reading is such a joy, isn't it? Your post prompted me to check my Goodreads reading challenge for 2020. I read 69 books. I didn't feel like that many! Do you keep track on Goodreads, or does your library app do that for you? When I say "read", I really mean "listen". I enjoy it when someone reads to me. My reading preferences change all the time, I go through phases of reading one genre, or an entire series by one particular author. I do love fiction that is set where I live. This seems to be mostly crime fiction here in Glasgow but maybe I have not looked hard enough for other genres. I am not familiar with the two authors you describe here, thanks for the recommendations. I don't read much historical fiction so maybe that's the reason. I should change this, broaden my horizons.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'm a long-time convert to Kindle and read most things on it these days. I particularly like it because you can have a book of poetry or short stories on the go at the same time as whatever longer work I'm reading and just dip into them from time to time - and I never lose my place! There's no substitute for printed books when it comes to books with illustrations or photography books.

Edna B said...

I haven't been reading books for a while now. Although I love reading, my concentration has been off a bit. You have quite an eclectic taste in books. This is wonderful. I'm so glad that libraries are beginning to open again. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm always on the lookout for new mysteries. Except for Donna Leon, I don't know any of these. The Silkstone books sound good. I haven't read any of Beatriz Williams, and I have the The Address on my phone (Fiona Davis) but have yet to listen. And you can't go wrong with Erik Larson. Did you know the Devil from the Devil in the White City was from NH? I am guess you did. Thanks for the recommendations Dorothy. Always appreciated. Stay dry today.

DeniseinVA said...

That was a good read and a lot of new books for me. Thanks so much :)

Marcia said...

You have been doing a lot of reading/listening! My reading time has slowed because of tasks around the house. I did just finish a great mystery by Anthony Horowitz called Moonflower Murders. He's written some other great mysteries too. Don't know if we talked about him before.

DUTA said...

In my younger years, I used to read mysteries and naturally romantic novels. Nowadays, I read non-fiction only (biographies, history, science).

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I read literally every day. Most of it is nonfiction and is often concerned with research of one kind or another that I am doing, but I also read fiction. I don't think I have spent more or less time on either category, but if I have it would slant towards non fiction. I have a huge personal library of reference material that I use constantly and add to frequently. I have never downloaded a book to a device, being totally in love with physical books, and I have never listened to an audio book. Ironically, I used to record audio books for the blind many years ago.

Bijoux said...

I average a book a week. I can’t do audio because my mind wanders; I had the same problem with college lectures! I’ve read some of Beatriz Williams and enjoyed her books.

Jeanie said...

I haven't read either of those authors, Dorothy, but I'm very intrigued by them, especially the first. I read a lot and prefer mysteries so these fit the bill. I'm a page turner -- literally. I haven't got a kindle and I don't like to listen on audio -- I get too distracted. I pretty much read across the board, alternating mysteries with biography, non-fiction (usually history) or a novel.

Emma Springfield said...

Although my Kindle is the audio-supporting version I have not used that feature. I like reading my own inflections into the words. Just stubborn I guess. Because I read a lot the Kindle is convenient for me. Still there is nothing like holding a book and turning the pages as I read. It is a comforting feeling.

Emma Springfield said...

I neglected to mention that you might enjoy The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch. It is a series of 7 mysteries. The descriptions of mid 17th century Germany add to the enjoyment as does the fact that the author is a direct descendent of the hangman. The mysteries may be fictional but other details are not.

David said...

Beatrice, My wife reads a lot but she only reads books in print form. Tried the alternatives but just couldn't get into them. She keeps a register of all the books she's read. She trades out books with one of her sisters who is also a big time reader. We probably have 1,200 books in the house. My choice in reading is quite narrow...mysteries, spy thrillers, cop stories and historical novels and/or non-fiction history. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Lee said...

Audio "books" and "e-books" are not for me...give me a paper book, hard cover or paperback anytime, and every time over the former two. It's just how I am... I still prefer reading paper newspapers to reading them online.

Old-fashioned and an old stick-in-the-mud I am, I freely admit! :)

Last week a friend told me about a book she was reading, and one she found to be quite hilarious..."Red, White and Royal Blue" written by Casey McQuiston.

Rita said...

Yes, I have to be doing something mindless or repetitious while I listen to audio books or my mind wanders. I used to listen to them years ago when I was driving cross country. Nowadays it is when I am doing crafts...like assembly line work on cards. :)

Linda G. said...

The majority of my reading has been related to genealogy. I have been making good use of my ancestry and newspapers subscriptions.

William Kendall said...

For my own reading in the last year I've been reading a lot of graphic novels.

Margaret D said...

I like to read but don't often as in reading novels and so on, I get too engrossed and forget what time it is. I do have a problem when people read a book in bed and fall asleep - if that was me, I would have to finish the book before I fell asleep, a book is too exciting to just fall asleep in my book :)

Polly said...

I love reading but it has taken 2nd place to the garden over the last few weeks. Some of the girls in my book club use Kindles, I've never really fancied using one, I like holding a book. But the ease of finding and downloading books is beginning to appeal, I also like the idea of a built in dictionary.

Polly said...

P.S. forgot to say thank you for your reviews, I have put some of them on my "To read" list :-)

nick said...

I also read around 60 books a year, now that I'm retired and have more time to read. The lockdown and bookshop closures weren't too much of a problem as I've taken the opportunity to re-read a lot of books that were gathering dust on our bookshelves. Jenny is a volunteer at the local charity bookshop which re-opens tomorrow, and she's hoping for a deluge of interesting books she can grab before someone else does!

Karen Lakis said...

I just added several of these to my ever-growing wish list! I read in many forms, too. I think my favorite is hardback, but I’m not really picky. Before moving to Vermont, I belonged to the Boston Public Library and could download almost any book I could dream of (Sometime after being on a wait list - I didn’t mind). Unfortunately my new library system is not quite so well stocked and I’m buying more books - mostly on kindle, but I rarely leave my local bookstore empty handed (Lol). I’ve never counted how many books I read - I’m guessing 50-60 fiction/year along with several non-fiction - mostly on writing.

Linda said...

I, too, have been reading more since Covid..avoiding the news from TV or radio. I have not read even one of the books and authors you mentioned so I will be making a list. I find my books at Goodwill for the most part. I only read from books I can hold in my hand. Just my personal preference. And as soon as I read one, it goes out to someone else or back to Goodwill.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend trip!

Doris Fahnestock said...

I love reading on my phone with the Kindle app or the Libby app which is connected to the Lancaster Co library system. I keep thinking of purchasing a Kindle again. Had one years ago and really liked it...and it would be for books only. Don't need another device for everything!

Rob K said...

My goodness, I'm so impressed with all this reading you've been doing.

I don't begin to read enough and I've vowed to change that. I used to get a lot of reading done during my daily commute, but that's changed now I'm working from home.

I haven't gone the Kindle/audio book route yet, but I was also the last one in my crowd to get a cell phone back in the day, so I may crack down yet.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I feel sorry for people who don’t like to read, especially so during our “Covid year.” I just started reading a series by Charles Finch (one of your new hardcover authors), but none of the others you review are familiar at all. I read pretty much only on my paperwhite Kindle and have for years. I love it for All the reasons you cite plus it is wonderful to have a huge supply of reading material in your purse when you travel a lot (as we used to do before...). I also use our library (where now I can check out books even when we’re away from home). The System our library uses for ebooks is tied into Amazon, so everything I read is listed on my Amazon content and devices page. (It just says “borrow expired” by the library books after that happens.). As you probably know, anything I bought or got free from Amazon stays there even when I remove it from the paperwhite device, so I could put it back anytime. I call it my virtual attic bookshelf. Of course I can’t reload the expired library books, but I do like having them listed. ... you’ve inspired me to count how many I read last year.