Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Butterflies and Wildflowers

Our recent visit to the Natural Bridge included some other interesting sights, indoors and outdoors. A new exhibit there is billed as "Virginia's largest indoor, live butterfly garden." And, while we're not exactly sure of complete veracity of that statement, the exhibit was interesting. The exhibit advertising also claimed that there are "hundreds of these amazing creatures" in flight among tropical plants and trees. While, there were certainly a lot of them fluttering by, it didn't seem like many hundreds to us. But then we were not counting.

butterflies1

Unfortunately, there was no printed guide available to identify the ones we saw. The young lady who was minding the exhibit confessed to not knowing the what was featured there. That's probably just as well because I would not have been able to remember the names anyway.

butterflies2

The butterflies were flying around the exhibit and visitors had to be careful where they walked lest one end up under a shoe.

Blue Ridge wildflowers

On our walk to and from the Natural Bridge, we saw several varieties of wildflowers. These are just a few of the ones still in bloom.

My apologies to fellow bloggers at not catching up with your posts this week. As Grenville mentioned earlier, I am in NJ visiting my mom; unfortunately, there is no internet available in her neighborhood. My wi-fi access is available by trips to a nearby Panera or library where my time is limited, which makes it difficult to post and read blogs. I will resume blog reading and commenting (and doing a lot of catching up) when I return home this coming Sunday. 

13 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Very pretty butterflies and flowers.

And, don't worry about limited on line time and being unable to visit other blogs. I understand completely. I'll soon be going back to that condition when we go back to sea. :\

Connie said...

Lovely photos of both the butterflies and the flowers, Beatrice. Sounds like an interesting place to visit.

Country Gal said...

We have a Butterfly conservatory as we call it here with hundreds of different breeds of them . It is amazing to see . Mind you during the summers here in the field next to us there are lots of them fluttering around the different wild flowers and that is just as wonderful for us ! Lovely photos . Don't worry about not being able to visit other blogs I am sure we all understand as there is more to life then just blogging ! Have a good day !

Anvilcloud said...

I once visited the conservatory in Niagara Falls and liked it a lot, even though it was kind of hot.

Doris said...

I may have visited the same conservatory as the one mentioned by your friend Anvilcloud. I loved it! The wildflowers in the photos are so pretty too.

I'm sure you are having a wonderful time with your Mother. Being without connections could be rather challenging. I guess, thank God for places like Panera =)

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed seeing all these pretty flowers and butterflies. Glad you are getting to visit with your Mom.

Out on the prairie said...

i love butterfly exhibits, they are so relaxing to me.

MadSnapper said...

so many flying flowers, these are wonderful

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful collages as always! The butterflies are many and varied.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful butterflies! I especially like the big almost blck one in the first collage.

Ours are usually rather small here and most have very little color, Yours almost look tropical to me :-)

The flowers can be found in many gardens here in Sweden :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

You find some amazing things to photography. Hope your trip was a good one.

Anonymous said...

Good Sunday morning, Such pretty photos of the sweet wildflowers and the colorful butterflies. I have visited the butterfly exhibit at Callaway Gardens here in GA - boy, the humidity does a number on my hair!!!!!

Kay G. said...

Butterflies and wildflowers! Wow, that is right up my alley! I would love to see that!
Had to laugh when you said the autumn colors burst forth AFTER you visited the Blue Ridge Parkway, that sounds like my luck!
:-)