Friday, August 14, 2026

Friday Funnies

Today's post is connected to a now famous movie line from the 1975 classic film, Jaws.

The actual line in the movie is: You're gonna need a bigger boat. However, it's widely mis-remembered as We're gonna need a bigger boat. 

And, I thought of that line recently after seeing this car with its load of two kayaks, only my take was: Maybe they need a bigger car ?
Maybe a bigger car is needed?
In the film, Chief Martin Brody (played by Roy Scheider) speaks the words after he gets a close-up look at the huge great white shark as it surfaces next to the boat owned and piloted by Captain Sam Quint (played by Robert Shaw).

But, did you know that line wasn't in the original script?

That's because it originated during film production since the production's support barge, which carried camera equipment and food, was too small for its load. What started as an inside joke became a line repeated among the cast and crew. Whenever anything went wrong on set, the crew would joke to the producers, You're gonna need a bigger boat.

During the actual filming, Scheider improvised the line during the shark encounter scene and director Steven Spielberg kept it in the final cut.

And, now you know — the rest of the story.

Enjoy Your Weekend, Everyone
It's a cooler and quieter weekend in Nashua, NH

23 comments:

Tom said...

...and I would expect a couple bikes hanging on the rear of that car!

Bijoux said...

I remember watching Jaws with a friend while we were babysitting (the kids were already asleep). I was terrified!!!

photowannabe said...

Thanks for the explanation of the Tag Line. Love the inside jokes that become everyday sayings.
Those kayaks seem so huge on the tiny car.
Perfect Friday Funnies.
Sue

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the movie back story.

Anvilcloud said...

From the film, Calendar Girls, "I think we're going to need bigger buns," during the shooting of a buxom topless calendar lady. (probably slightly different words, but that was the idea)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Fun fact, thank you
A favorite all time magazine cartoon, decades old, maybe from The New Yorker, is a beach scene of people looking up as a plane flies over towing the sign:
“Have you seen Jaws?”

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are correct, AC, and we just re-watched that film last eek 🙂

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That's pretty funny about "the bigger boat" line. And yes, those kayaks need a bigger car! LOL. Great story today. Thank you!

Kathylorraine said...

Fun post!

Lowcarb team member said...

Jaws ... such a good film.

All the best Jan

Carola Bartz said...

It is sooo long ago that I watched that movie, I don't remember that much of it except for the opening scene and a few more snippets.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I drive a VW Golf. Good for whatever you throw at it!

The Happy Whisk said...

Was smart to keep the line in. Great line. Scary movie!

handmade by amalia said...

All I remember is the shark.
Amalia
xo

Steve Reed said...

That car does look a bit unstable!

Ludwig said...

Well, I didn't know that. Usually actors are chastized for improvising. So this is special. Thank you for letting us know the story.

Michelle said...

Seems like a lot for that poor car to haul around!

MELODY JACOB said...

I honestly had no idea that line was improvised! That is so cool. It’s crazy how some of the most famous lines in movie history only happened because the crew was stressed out and things were falling apart behind the scenes. Didn't Bruce, the mechanical shark, keep sinking and breaking down in the salt water during filming too? Sounds like that whole production was a wild ride, so it's amazing Roy Scheider just blurted that out and Spielberg was smart enough to keep it.

nick said...

That's an interesting story. I think a lot of lines in films are improvised if they seem better than the original script. I saw Jaws many years ago but I guessed the shark was a fake quite early on.

baili said...

that was interesting to know that line was used by the crew first and than altered in the movie later :)
i watch interview show fondly we both actually and when learn that something that became about the show or movie was improvisation actually seems fun reality :)

gigi-hawaii said...

Jaws was so scary! I hated it. Anyway, that improvised line is apt for your photo.

Rob Lenihan said...

I recently read about Roy Scheider improvising that line, but I didn't know it had started with the crew.

DeniseinVA said...

I remember that line very well. If you care to look at my post today, you will see our son’s birthday card from his wife. He’s watched that movie a few times over the years :)