Pages

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

In the Center?

This post is about text styles and certainly not meant to criticize what anyone chooses to use on his/her blog site. That choice is most definitely yours. Apologies if anyone becomes offended. 

To center or not, that is the question, and it has nothing to do with Shakespeare.
It has everything to do with readability and the way our brain is used to reading.

3 Types of text alignment
Recently, it seems that many folks have adopted a centered text alignment for blog posts. Perhaps they consider this style as more contemporary or artsy?

In truth, it's neither. While I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this choice, it makes posts more difficult to read.

Centered text is more difficult to read when there's multiple lines of text as in long text paragraphs. That's because it forces the reader to make additional eye movements on both sides of the content. This can cause unnecessary eye fatigue, decrease reading speed and result in lower reading focus.

Why?
Because centering paragraph text anywhere, except in certain cases, makes the brain work harder to process what its reading because most of us learned to read books left to right from an early age. English is read as a left-to-right language. Scanning text that's centered or flush right is more difficult to read.

Left-aligned text typically results in much better content readability. And, it's why why newspapers, magazine articles and books are presented this way. Left-aligned text avoids unnecessary eye jumps which makes the copy much easier to follow. 

Would you continue reading something for pleasure if the text was all centered?

The default alignment for most reading text is left aligned text. It's not a random choice. Most writing follows this format. Left-aligned text is easier to read because of the way our eyes scan a page. Eye tracking research has shown that readers scan sites in a what's called the F-shape pattern.

It results in much better content readability, which is why books, magazine articles and newspapers use this style. Left-aligned text helps to avoid unnecessary eye jumps, making the whole copy much easier to follow.

What is the F-Shape Pattern?
F-Shape Pattern
The F-Pattern describes the most common user eye-scanning patterns when it comes to blocks of content. In this context, F means fast. That's how users read content on the web. In a few seconds, their eyes move quickly across a page.

Analysis have shown that people usually read the first few lines of content while looking for what they need. Then, they scan the lower portion of the page until deciding what to do next. 

People first read in a horizontal movement, usually across the upper part of the content area. This eye movement forms the top of the F. Then, they move down the page looking for areas of interest. When something interests them, they read it and the eye movement forms the second horizontal line of the letter F. This second line usually covers a shorter area than the previous one.

Centered text is best used for some headlines (one or two lines long) and short lines of text, like quotes, poems, or slogans. People can read these easier as lines are short, scannable and don't require repeated eye movements. 

My preference is for left-aligned text using a sans serif font, which describes a font where the individual characters don't have serifs (tails and other ornaments). 

Previously, my font choice was Arial, a popular sans serif font. Arial is designed primarily for print use, and also makes a good web font because of its openness. A similar font, Helvetica, is also veery similar. Recently, I've recently been experimenting with a couple of different type fonts, which may have been more difficult to read on certain browsers or mobile decides.

This font, Times New Roman, (a serif font) is considered one of the easiest fonts to read and has long been standard for print and web documents because it's simple and straightforward and extremely legible at a wide variety of sizes, as well as in bold, italics, and headings. Despite its relatively small x-height (X-height refers to the height of the lowercase x for a typeface). 

Your Turn — which text alignment style do you use and why?

24 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Who knew?

MadSnapper said...

I use the one you don't like because it is easier for me to read, the type you use is hard for me to read, i have to spread the page really wide to read it. each person does their blog the way it is easy for them. i have had people tell me they don't like colored fonts, they don't like black with colors, etc. my blog has been black for all the years i have done it. personal taste is personal taste. no i would not read a book that is centered but i do like my blog that way

Anvilcloud said...

Left -- with no indentation, which was for typewrites and monospace fonts. I read a centered blog, but I wouldn't read much more than that I don't think.

NewRobin13 said...

I prefer left-aligned text. I never thought about it before, but it's an interesting question.

Boud said...

I like left aligned, and blogger frequently switches it to centered with no input from me. I hope people don't assume I think I'm being clever.

It's impossible to change it back on my Fire tablet or Android phone. Suddenly the later paragraphs become left aligned again, no input from me.

Best to remember we aren't always in charge, and that some of us don't have the budget for a laptop.

photowannabe said...

Very interesting questions and information.
I really haven't thought about it. I just have posted what seems comfortable and to my mind logical to do.
Thanks for this post..now I will pay more attention to what people do and why.
Sue

Emma Springfield said...

Even though I am left-handed I use right-centered text. It's easier to read.

Emma Springfield said...

Sorry about that dyslexic moment. I use left-centered text. Us lefties get right and left confused.

Sandra said...

I use center for a few lines above a photo or in-between photos. Otherwise I use justified. I am somewhat anal and I prefer the rectangle it makes, no scattered ends!

Rita said...

I use centered text and always have (unless blogger randomly changes it on me). I like the balance of it because I post a lot of pictures and I like the photos centered. Not sure why I prefer it. Just feels more balanced to me. I never thought about it, just did it automatically. I never realized it was annoying to anyone. I'll have to ask my followers if they would like me to change it. ??

Liz Hinds said...

Left, for the reasons you've explained. I also prefer short paragraphs as I find I'm more likely to read them than a large block of text.

Bijoux said...

Most of my posts involve a lot of pictures, so I use Center Text, which seems appropriate as the photos are centered on the blog and the texts are like long captions.

Jeanie said...

I hate reading centered posts and have stopped reading some blogs because of it. (That wasn't the only reason, just the final deal-breaker!). It's terribly difficult to read and makes me a little crazy. It's easy enough to center photos without centering the text in blogger. I do like centered photos.

My name is Erika. said...

I've always used center aligned and not left aligned. I actually find it easier to read. But if there are multiple sentences it does left align. I've never heard anyone complain about it, and maybe my brain just works differently. And I try to keep line short because I know that's what most people prefer to read. What I do find hard to read is when people write their posts in cursive style font. Thanks for sharing this. It's interesting.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I prefer Times New Roman text, and I often use centered text because I have so many photos and it is easier to read the text under the photo (or above, whichever way it ends up). I also use centered text when quoting scripture, which I do a lot of. I tend to go back and forth, depending upon how the flow of the writing is going. What I don't like is really small font and light print that is difficult to read, or busy backgrounds under or over the print. I tend to mix it up depending on whether or not there are long paragraphs or short snippets. Personally, what really matters is how interesting the content is and that is how it holds the reader's attention.

Brenda said...

Left…no center please. No tiny print. Please no moving birds or animals…please please use black print…Brenda

CrystalChick said...

Yikes, just another thing to consider when trying to compose a blog post. LOL It's hard enough for me to keep up with my page, post something that might be interesting to some readers, get Blogger to cooperate, comments to work, and now to try and remember that left is best... except for those who like centered... and certain fonts are preferable to some, but not others, and the size of text and photo placement should be considered... OH MY!
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. haha
~Mary

DUTA said...

My approach to writing is minimalistic, concise, and takes the reader into consideration.
I use the left aligned text and center aligned for pictures.

gigi-hawaii said...

For my blog, I just use the style that WordPress gives me. It seems to work well. As for email, I again use what Yahoo gives me. So I am okay with my readers.

Christina said...

I use the default setting in Blogger. I prefer left aligned, it is most comfortable for me to read. For my work I present a lot of information on websites and we spend quite some time thinking about how to present information and we have accessibility functions for individuals with different needs. I should probably give the same attention to my blog! Thanks for raising awareness of this!

baili said...

my font is Georgia and i find it easy i write in center because i find it easier but i enjoyed reading on this topic and i want to thank you because i learned why writing in any manner matters more and how it is more readable
yes magazines write certain way and it looks best for them .

thanks for interesting post i liked it dear Dorothy!

David said...

Beatrice, The only time I use 'centered text' is for a title or to make a point, no more than one line. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

nick said...

Ever since I can remember I've always favoured set left, but don't ask me why.

William Kendall said...

I prefer centered,but try to keep it light on text.