Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Safety for All

This topic is popular because, let's face it, the world has become a rather unsafe place.

But this post is not about safety in ways you might be thinking (there's plenty of articles on that topic). While it differs from all of those, it's still, in a way, about personal safety.

And, there's a historical background. I enjoy learning about many things and, of course, sharing on this blog. It's not the first time — and far from the last.
Some of the safety pins in our home
Behold the safety pin. It comes in various sizes and shapes and at some point (or more) in our lives we've used it. I always have several in my luggage and purse. How about you?

Curious to know more, I found out that this invention was created by a prolific American inventor named Walter Hunt. Yes, that name was new to me as well.

1854 Walter Hunt's patent
model of sewing machine
Yet, from 1829 to 1853, Hunt's inventions and patents included not only the safety pin but also a knife sharpener, a rope making machine, a heating stove, a wood saw, a flexible spring, several machines for making nails, a fountain pen, a streetcar alarm bell and — the sewing machine.

By now, you're correctly thinking that Elias Howe is credited with that last invention for which he received a U.S. patent (no. 4,750) in 1846. 

But, in 1833, years earlier, Hunt invented a sewing machine which he never patented. Why? He reportedly felt his invention might cause massive unemployment among seamstresses, as the U.S. was in a recession.  Not only did Hunt failed to patent his design, but was reluctant to take the financial risk to manufacture it (double mistakes).

Because, in 1854, when Hunt did submit a patent application for his sewing machine design, which preceded Howe’s design, the U.S. Patent Office recognized Hunt’s precedence. But, did not grant him a patent because he was too late and he had not applied first. Hunt received public credit for his invention, but Howe’s patent became valid. 

Now, back to the safety pin. Years after the sewing machine debacle, Hunt who owed a $15 debt was thinking of a new invention that would earn money to repay it.

And, that invention became the safety pin .

Hunt took an 8-inch piece of brass wire and made a coil in the center so it would open up when released. The pin design included a clasp that covered the point to keep from opening, and a circular twist at the bend to act as a spring and hold it in place. It was the first pin to have a clasp and spring action to keep fingers safe from injury. 
Safety Pin 1849 patent filing by Walter Hunt 
This time, he patented the design. 
According to Hunt's patent application: This design could be used without danger of the device becoming bent or wounding the fingersIn his patent filing application, Hunt described his invention as a new and useful improvement in the Make or Form of Dress-Pins.

Did he repay the debt? Yes, and made a profit too, but short-sightedness cost Hunt in the long run. In April 1849, after being issued U.S. patent 6,281, Hunt sold the patent to W.R. Grace and Company for $400 (about $14,000 in today's money). He repaid the debt and pocketed $385. In years to follow, W.R. Grace profited millions of dollars in profits from this invention.

Fibulae (Internet source)
Actually, Hunt’s invention wasn't original or new, but improved on an ancient fastener, the fibulae (Latin for brooch). Coiled bronze pins embellished in gold have been found in Egyptian tombs. Romans used fibulae to hold togas in place. Etruscans used them to fasten dresses and cloaks. Made from expensive materials like bronze, silver, and gold, the design of fibulae became more detailed and elaborate. They emphasized class differences as only the wealthy could afford such costly ornaments.

Another version of the safety pin is credited to Thomas Woodward in 1842 for a Victorian shielded shawl and diaper pin, while similar it lacked the spring mechanism of Hunt's design.  Woodward's invention was a safety pin for baby diapers which fastened according to the bulk of the material which often caused the pin to bend or break.

Walter Hunt, American inventor
Walter Hunt (1796-1859) was born in upstate New York in a rural community of Lewis County, NY, the eldest of 14 children in a farming family. Educated in a one-room schoolhouse, he became a stone-cuter (mason), married and settled on a farm near a textile mill. A skilled mechanic, he often helped local textile mill owners with equipment repairs.

When a mill owner lowered employee wages due to a drop in market prices, Hunt suggested the problem was due to the inefficiency of the machines, not the workers. He suggested building a better machine. Within months, he designed a new system and in 1826 patented it. Hunt left for New York City with a plan to raise money needed to manufacture more of the milling machines. That the plan collapsed within a year. It seems that he was a better inventor than businessman. In what was becoming a pattern, Hunt later sold the patent outright.

While in New York, Hunt witnessed an accident in which a carriage ran over and injured a girl. Carriage drivers had horns to warn pedestrians, but rarely used them wanting to keep both hands on the horse reins in tight traffic. Hunt devised a metal gong with hammer that could be operated by foot. After he patented it, he again sold the idea outright, yet again.

If his business skills matched his inventions, he would be more well known. Hunt was a prolific inventor, but toiled in obscurity, selling many of his designs before they became mainstream items. Unlike other inventors, who built industries and profited from inventions.

In all fairness, Hunt may never have fully capitalized on his inventions due to circumstances. Married with a family of four children, he was often financially strapped. He sold his patents to solve immediate cash problems rather than waiting for a potentially larger gain.

Paper shirt collars
He continued working on inventions in his workshop and died in 1859 from pneumonia at age 63. Before dying, he had the personal satisfaction, but not the financial gain, of finally profiting from his sewing machine invention. In 1858, Isaac Singer agreed to pay Hunt $50,000 for his original design to end a patent controversy; Hunt died before Singer paid up. 

Later, his family was able to capitalize on another invention, the paper shirt collar. In 1875, his son, George, reached a settlement with the Union Paper Collar Company for $5,000 plus expenses in cash, $50,000 in company stock, and 10 percent of all royalties for the use of Walter Hunt's invention which he had patented in 1854.

While Hunt didn't die wealthy, he was well-respected. In its 1859 obituary, the New York Tribune wrote: For more than 40 years, he has been known as an experimenter in the arts. Whether in mechanical movements, chemistry, electricity or metallic compositions, he was always at home, and, probably in all, he has tried more experiments than any other inventor.

Some Safety Pin Trivia
The term pin money originally referred to a custom wherein the head of the house presented the lady of the house with a sum of money at the start of January which she would use to purchase pins for the year as they were costly. When pins became cheap and common, ladies spent their allowances on other fancies, but the term pin money remained popular. The mechanization of production in the 1800s changed the cost and status of safety pins. Now, over 3 million can be made by a factory in a single day.

While more modern fasteners, like velcro, have been introduced over the years, the safety pin remains an everyday necessity worldwide. Its simplicity and household presence have made it not only a useful item, but one of culture and tradition. 

In India, for example, safety pins and sewing needles are kept for generations and passed down to daughters. In the Ukraine, pins are a way to ward off evil spirits when attached to the inside of  children's clothing. In other countries, a safety pin is a form of good luck.

And now you also know — the rest of the story

Thanks for all your comments on a previous post (Cathedral of the Pines). As many of you noted, this site is very special. We plan to visit later this year.

30 comments:

Linda G. said...

I never knew the inventor of safety pins and wouldn’t have had I not read your blog post. I don’t carry any safety pins on me, but I do have a supply of various sizes at home.

MadSnapper said...

I have a box of all sizes and when I worked always had a few in my desk drawer and my purse, since retirement I don't carry a purse, but did have a large one on my keychain that somehow managed to fall off somewhere. how it did that i have no idea. I have often carried my keys hanging off a safety pin on the waste of my pants while hiking. many times used for pinning up a hem that fell out. he sure made a mistake selling that patent. I never really thought about the invention. now I will.

Jeanie said...

I love this -- who knew? I personally love BIG safety pins. They're great for everything from hemming pants to holding pants up when you lose weight! I'm not sure I would have thought to investigate this but it's fun to learn.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Nice post
On garments recently, I've found thin roundish shaped safety pins instead of the mini brass traditional safety pin.

Vee said...

Another interesting post!

Barbara Rogers said...

And I'm without any at this time. Must remedy this!

Joyce F said...

I will remember this post the next time I use a safety pin which will probably be soon.

Kathy said...

This is so interesting! I just wish that he had been able to patent his inventions and made some money off of them. He could have been quite wealthy.

Sandra said...

I also had no idea, nor had I given this thought! Someone needs to come up with the ideas for things we take for granted!

Bijoux said...

I’m always so impressed by inventors of anything. They see a need and solve it and the rest of us are grateful.

Christina said...

How fascinating! I'll never look at a safety pin the same again. Ours don't last a generation... they are a bit like pairs of socks, always disappearing. I do have curved safety pins for pinning quilt tops to the batting and backing.

Michelle said...

I use them for all sorts of things. Essential!

Linda said...

I loved reading the REST OF THE STORY!!!
What would we do without safety pins??? I think I use one nearaly everyday!

gigi-hawaii said...

This was very interesting. His mother had 14 children, which is amazing. I suppose she could have used safety pins on diapers. Too bad he was not a wealthy man. Poor business acumen.

Jon said...

Hunt was obviously brilliant, but it's a shame that he didn't live long enough to profit from his inventions. I had never heard of him until I read this interesting post. And I occasionally use safety pins - - they come in handy.
Those ancient fasteners in the photo are beautiful.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating information. Such a simple but most important thing to have.
We always have a ton around and they have been a life saver for hems, pants and the bra strap!
Sue

Rita said...

I used to carry them with me all the time until I became housebound. I might still have one or two in my purse but I know where to find them at home here. Those big ones for diapers were perfect! So interesting! Sounds like if he wasn't so financially strapped all the time with the big family he would have been a rich man.

Emma Springfield said...

Fascinating. What I remember most about safety pins is that they fastened diapers.

Carola Bartz said...

I don't carry safety pins in my purse, but I always have some with me when I travel. They are so handy! I have a little box of colored ones that I use to attach the washing instructions to my hand knitted socks before I send them to my customers. I go through quite a bit in a year. What would we do without the safety pin?

My name is Erika. said...

I love learning new things also and so this post was a fun read. I think I'll put a few safety pins on the inside of my clothing if they're supposed to bring good luck. We all could use that these days. Smile. And Hunt was a new name to me, but he was very prolific. Sadly he should be recognized for all his inventions. Hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

When I used to do a lot of backpacking on long-distance footpaths I always had a few safety pins in my "emergency box", I think they were the most frequently used item in there. It's strange how some inventors become household names while others are forgotten.

nick said...

Hunt was certainly a prolific inventor. A shame he didn't make more money from his inventions.
Thanks for the explanation of pin money. Hard to imagine that pins used to be costly when now they're so cheap!
I wish velcro would become standard for shoes. Shoelaces are just a big nuisance.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Who knew? So much to learn about a simple object we have all used at one time or another. I can't think of the last time I used one, but when my daughter was little and was in old style cloth diapers it was a necessary item!.

William Kendall said...

I would not have known that.

Doris said...

Lots of things I didn't know in this post. I still use safety pins occasionally although I never thought to carry some with me...good idea!

Linda P said...

This is an interesting blog post about everyday items and people who invent them. I knew about the Roman toga pins, but not about who invented the modern safety pin. I carry safety pins in my handbag along with a pack of a pack of sewing equipment. You never know when they'll be needed.

DeniseinVA said...

This has been a fascinating read Dorothy, and quite a lot of work on your part. Thank you! The safety pin has helped me on more than one occasion. I carry them in my purse for emergencies.

Veronica Lee said...

This is so interesting!

I'll never look at a safety pin the same way again.

I can't imagine life without them.

David said...

Beatrice, Very interesting indeed! Thanks for helping me learn something new... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Buttercup said...

Didn't know the story of safety pins and Hunt. I save every safety pin, though I rarely use one. If anyone needs any safety pins I will be glad to send some on.