Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

What's in the Lawn?

Large groupings of mushrooms cropped up in the F&P front lawn the past couple of weeks. In the past several years, we've had two large trees removed, yet this is the first time these large mushrooms have appeared.


In doing online research, I learned that it could take quite awhile for some of the former tree matter to decay causing a delay in the appearance of these "shrooms," which are actually fungal matter. 

And, unlike in the human world where fungi is often not a good thing, it's actually beneficial in many parts of the plant world.

Mushrooms grow where there is healthy organic matter in the soil. While they are not necessarily bad for the lawn, most homeowners find them unattractive and remove them down or apply fungicide treatment.

The ones in our front yard provided some good photo opps. These photos were au natural with no post processing or special effects applied.





Shortly after this photo session, I eliminated them from the lawn because our home is "on the market" and these clumps may not seem attractive to a prospective buyer of which they were none recently. And, there is that whole issue of "curb appeal."

For a short time they were great subject matter. You don't need to go far to find photo possibilities, just take a walk in your front (or back) yard

14 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Many types live underground for years before emerging. I have seen a few of these, too bad they aren't edible. I love my morels in the spring.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are nice - I love seeing the details of the mushrooms. Have a great weekend.

Debby said...

They sure are interesting aren't they. Love seeing them in the
woods.
I was wondering if your home had sold. We have had ours on the market for five months. What a pain.
Hugs

MadSnapper said...

totally awesome photos of all your shrooms. so beautiful. we edit ours as soon as we see them, because the dogs eat any and everything in the yard. never seen any like these here.

Emma Springfield said...

Isn't it interesting to see all the different formations they make? The first couple look like an exotic salad.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Howdy Dorothy!
My favorite kind of photos are the "all natural" kind. Apps are fun and all, but if I see a picture of a pink sky, I like to know that the photographer saw just that. I always thought that I was just never lucky enough to capture fabulous colors, etc. Then I learned about filters, etc. Now, like I say, I am loath to "believe my eyes" when I look at a photo. Oh well...
:) m & jb (who does not like to pose for photos)

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I saw a bunch or two or three in our yard last week before it got chilly!...:)JP

William Kendall said...

Fascinating textures!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mushrooms!

Mushrooms are fascinating since they are neither animal nor plant but a group of their own.

Have a great day!
Christer.

Anvilcloud said...

Shrooms are fascinating little things.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful photos of your mushrooms, they are very artsy!

Catherine said...

So interesting that mushrooms seem "icky" in the garden, but are so photogenic! Love all the pretty shades of brown... great captures :)

Connie said...

Great photos! They have pretty details.

Gail Dixon said...

We get shrooms quite a bit. I enjoy them, so have never felt the need to get rid of them. Your images are so good! Best of luck getting your house sold. Though I know it must be hard for you.