Fall colors, cooler temps and apples — a perfect trio, especially when the apples are what’s for dessert, which isn’t something we enjoy every night at The Frog & PenguINN. Treats are always welcome and we spread this one over 2 nights.
Most apple crisp recipes advise using firm apples like Granny Smith or combining a couple of different varieties. Instead, I used a couple of golden delicious and Gala apples combined with oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar (Splenda ® brand), butter, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange juice, flour, and salt.
Add-ins, like raisins or dried cranberries would have been added if thought of beforehand, but there’s always next time. Also, I left the peel on and diced not sliced unlike in some recipes that advise peeling and slicing.
Oatmeal Apple Crisp
- 4-5 apples
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 C granulated sugar and brown sugar mixed together
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C dried raisins or cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 C chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 C sugar divided: 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 C butter, melted
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square or 2-quart baking dish.
- Core apples and cut into pieces. Add apples to a large bowl with orange zest, orange juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir then add to baking dish.
- To make the crisp topping, combine flour, oats, sugar in a bowl. Add melted butter and stir to moisten flour. Topping should be crumbly before spreading over apples. This can be a “hands on” task.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until juices thicken, apples are soft, and topping has turned golden brown. If the topping browns too fast, cover with aluminum foil bake until apples are done.
Top with ice cream, whipped cream, or Cool Whip®. This time, we substituted vanilla flavored yogurt as ice cream isn’t a staple here. No topping is OK too, but life’s too short not to treat ourselves. Next time it’s vanilla bean ice cream!