Eggs and an assortment of vegetables, cheese, and seasonings combined to make a very easy casserole. WHY did I never try this before? It was very easy (really). I modified a couple of online recipes for this variation. Yours may differ.
This dish was enjoyed at The Frog & PenguINN with homemade soup for an evening meal. This recipe was enough for 4-5 servings, but you can adjust ingredients as needed for larger (or smaller) servings.
Eggs and Vegetables Casserole
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 C roughly chopped broccoli, zucchini, peppers, asparagus – your choice or some of each (my choice)
- 1/2 C roughly chopped mushrooms (any variety)
- 2 white potatoes, peeled, sliced, cooked – enough to line bottom of dish
- 6 large eggs
- 2 TBSP milk or half & half
- 1 C shredded cheese, cheddar was my choice
- 1 TBSP dried thyme leaf, or 2 TBSP fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter bottom of baking dish or use cooking spray.
- Sauté veggies in butter. (Note: Some websites suggested microwaving about 2 minutes in 1 tablespoon of water by covering with plastic wrap, and leaving a vent hole.) If the broccoli hasn't softened, cook on high for another minute. Uncover, drain off any liquid, and set aside.
- Peel, slice potatoes, place in microwave-able dish with water to cover, then cover with plastic wrap (remember to vent it) and microwave until soft (mine cooked in under 5 minutes).
- Spread potatoes on bottom of dish, cover with other vegetables and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in large bowl, until slightly frothy. Add milk and flour and continue to whisk. Using a rubber spatula, stir in shredded cheese, herbs of choice, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables in baking dish. Draw spatula through mixture to bring some vegetables to surface.
Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, until eggs are puffy. Serve warm or cold, but it’s easier to cut and serve when cooled a bit.
It’s also a very colorful dish with red and green peppers added.