Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Do You Hear . . .

Singing penguins
'Tis the season for endless playing of holiday tunes everywhere, including our home. These ear worm tunes start airing in November and go through to Christmas Day. Of course, like many, we have favorites ranging from the standards of our childhood and there's interesting facts about many.

That said, here's some holiday song trivia (multiple choice and fill in the blank ?)
No prizes, just braggin' rights. Answers are provided below.

1. What popular holiday tune was written in 1962 during the Cold War?
Joy to the World, Little Drummer Boy, Do You Hear What I Hear?, I'll Be Home for Christmas

2. What's the best selling song ever, including Christmas?
White Christmas, The Christmas Song, Silent Night, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Some popular holiday albums

3. What's the best selling Christmas album?
Elvis Christmas, Miracles (Kenny G), The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole), Merry Christmas (Mariah Carey)

4. What popular holiday tune was written during a July 1945 heat wave?
Let It Snow, Let It Snow, White Christmas, The Christmas Song, We Need a Little Christmas

5. What popular song played at Christmas was written for another major holiday?

6. Complete the lyric, a ___convertible, light blue from what song?

7. What holiday song released in 1984 topped the charts in January 2021, 36 years after its release (sadly, the singer died early Christmas Day 2016)

8. What did Alvin want for Christmas in The Chipmunk Song?
hula hoop, bicycle, baseball glove, his front tooth

9. What artist or group has recorded the most Christmas albums?
Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Mannheim Steamroller

10. What popular holiday songs has two titles; who first recorded it?

11. What singer popularized Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in what film?

12. What (non-holiday) song did Hugh Grant dance to in Love Actually?

13. Cheers! What should we enjoy in A Holly Jolly Christmas; what did grandma have too much of before being run over by a reindeer?

14. Do you know how many gifts are given in The Twelve Days of Christmas?

15. What Christmas standard was first a popular WW II holiday tune?

Song Trivia Answers
1. Do You hear What I Hear? (really), 2. White Christmas, 3. Elvis' Christmas album (1957), 4. Let It Snow and The Christmas Song (both written during a July 1945 CA heat wave), 5. One Horse Open Sleigh (1857) which later was renamed Jingle Bells and written for Thanksgiving, 6. '54 from Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt), 7. Last Christmas (George Michael of Wham!), 8. hula hoop, 9. Mannheim Steamroller with 8, 10. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting Over an Open Fire) and Nat King Cole Trio first recorded it in June 1946, 11. Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), 12. Jump (for my Love) Pointer Sisters 1984, 13. cup of cheer and egg nog, 14. 364. 15. I'll Be Home for Christmas (recorded in 1943 by Bing Crosby)

Rudolph by R. May (1939)
This tune came from a store promo . . .
In 1949, a recording of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by the singing cowboy and actor, Gene Autry was No. 1 on the U.S. charts the week of Christmas and it was his biggest hit. 
The song written by Johnny Marks was based on a 1939 story,  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, written by his brother-in-law, Robert L. May.

That story first appeared in 1939 when the Montgomery Ward company, a department store chain, asked one of its copywriters, 34-year-old May, to create a Christmas story it could give away to shoppers as a Christmas promotion. The retailer had been buying and giving away coloring books annually and decided that creating a book would save money. 

May created Rudolph as the ninth and youngest of Santa's reindeer, who uses his luminous red nose to lead the reindeer team and guide the sleigh on Christmas Eve. May considered "Rollo" or "Reginald" before selecting Rudolph, thankfully. 

The story goes that May while thinking about how to craft a reindeer story looked out his Chicago office window. When, a thick fog from Lake Michigan inspired him to use a bright red nose that would shine through it like a spotlight. Ironically, that story line was initially rejected as in 1930s popular culture, a bright red nose was associated with alcoholism and drunkards. May asked Denver Gillen, an illustrator friend at Montgomery Ward to draw cute reindeer. The alert, bouncy character that he created, convinced management to support the idea.The company gave away more than 2 million copies of the book in its first year, rising to 6 million copies by 1946. 

Holiday songs written by Jewish composers . . .
White Christmas (Irving Berlin)
Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire (Mel Torme & Robert Wells)
Let it Snow (Sammy Cahn & Jule Styne)
Santa Baby (Joan Javits & Phil Springer)
It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (George Wyle & Eddie Pola)
Silver Bells (Ray Evans & Jay Livingston)
Walkin’ In a Winter Wonderland (Felix Bernard & Richard B. Smith) 
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree, A Holly, Jolly Christmas, Silver and Gold (Johnny Marks)

Non-holiday songs played mainly during Christmas, include . . .
Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, Baby, It's Cold Outside, Ave Maria, My Favorite Things, It's a Marshmallow World, Walking' in a Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman, You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch, I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm, Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen), Carol of the Bells

This fun post was compiled from various internet sources and print articles. 
It was an interesting look at popular holiday tunes. Hope you enjoyed as well.šŸŽ„

Your turn — if you know any interesting song facts, please share in a comment !

22 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I knew the answer to question no. 2, but that’s it! Many of the titles were new to me even. But since I don’t celebrate Christmas and don’t listen to popular music that’s hardly surprising. Merry Christmas to all who all who indulge.

Marie Smith said...

I didn’t know answers for any of these questions. Isn’t it funny how we can take such familiar things for granted?

Bijoux said...

Thanks for the trivia and Merry Christmas!

Marcia said...

We checked out the Rudolph video and Polar Express for granddaughter #3 who arrives with her family on Friday evening. Have a nice Christmas.

Kay G. said...

Enjoyed this post very much, thank you! One thing I just learned, a man from England wrote "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". That song creeped me out when I was a kid. I believed in Santa with all my heart!! Now, it is a great tune! I have even re-written the lyrics to myself to various events in my life. I once sang "We Saw Hailey's Comet Saturday Night" to my in-laws in England. How I would have loved to have told them that the tune was from a Brit!!

MadSnapper said...

I knew none of the answers although most of the songs are familiar but not from listening to them on purpose. It impossible to live 79 year and not hear them, they play incessantly on radio and commercials and in stores.

Jon said...

This is such an enjoyable post. I missed six out of the fifteen. Not too bad.

photowannabe said...

I'm patting myself on the back for knowing a few of the questions. Loved the information on some. Its fascinating how some have become standards when they aren't even "Christmas" songs.
Thanks for posting this and wishing you a very Merry Christmas..
Sue

Emma Springfield said...

Enjoy it?... I loved it. As you know I love Christmas music and Christmas movies. It really is the most wonderful time of the year.

Anvilcloud said...

Sue usually has Christmas music playing downstairs. And fireplaces and snow scenes on the tv.

Rita said...

This was fun and I learned a few things, too. LOL!
Merry Christmas you two! :)

Barbara Rogers said...

This was great fun for me...I kind of knew some things...how the heck did I know Alvin wanted a hula hoop? Geese, the stuff that sticks and all the important stuff that slides right through the grey cells! I also ran into the story of Monkey Ward (that's what we called it) and Rudolf! I didn't know the background before this season, about 60 or more listening to the tune! THanks for coming up with the quiz!

Christina said...

I love a bit of trivia but I am completely useless at knowing answers.... I am nobody's favourite pub quiz team mate!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What fun this was! I didn't know some of those, but hubby and I were just talking about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Gene Autry this morning! He apparently originally didn't think he wanted to record that song, but was glad that he was talked into it later!! This was fun. Thank you for always coming up with something interesting for us to learn!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

That is a lot of fun! Thank for the cheery post
Happy Holidays!

Sandy said...

Nice post, I didn't do well with the questions. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Sandy's Space

My name is Erika. said...

This was fun Dorothy. I got an 80%. Smile. And thank you for the card. I'm behind this year and doing New Years cards. Have a fabulous Christmas. hugs-Erika

David said...

Hi Beatrice, Very interesting post. I especially liked the Rudolph story as its a small part of my work history. Special versions of the story were given out to the officers of MW while I was there and the story was still part of the company's holiday celebration until the end.

FYI...the endless Christmas music is playing on our local radio station as I write this...
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Veronica Lee said...

Fun post! I struggled with most of the questions.

Wishing you and your loved ones a season filled with joy, laughter, and the warmth of cherished moments, Dorothy!

DeniseinVA said...

Very interesting! Stopping by to wish you A Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!

nick said...

I was intrigued that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer isn't a traditional Christmas story but only appeared in 1939, commissioned by Montgomery Ward. And how ironic that the idea of a bright red nose was originally discarded because it conjured up alcoholics and drunkards!

William Kendall said...

I try avoiding Christmas music as much as possible.