Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2023

Medically Speaking

My blog posts usually are confined to posts about road adventures, family, occasional recipes, and a lot of funny sights, avoiding hot topics like politics, religion, current events.

Since we returned home from our recent travels abroad, there's been a fair amount of catching up to do — unpacking, household chores and some purging and drop-offs to local thrift stores.

That said, some of the most important things we've been doing involve healthcare.

Most fellow bloggers reading this post will already much about topics mentioned here, so there won't be a lot of medical info. Much more extensive information is available online. 

Also, the purpose of this post is not to persuade anyone to participate in any of the procedures or vaccinations mentioned herein. 

Those decisions are strictly your ownas they should be. Everyone should do what he/she feels most comfortable with for their own well being.

These medical procedures are what we've done in the past couple of weeks.

Screening mammogram: As any female can attest, this procedure can be uncomfortable 😟, but at least brief. After telling myself I was done with it since reaching age 74 this year, I reversed that decision. Many sources recommend screening mammograms every other year from ages 40 to 74. New guidelines do not include recommendations for women after age 74, as there is limited data on whether mammograms save lives in that age group. 

My re-thinking that previous decision was the result of losing two female friends, Linda and April, within the past four months. Both had been previously diagnosed with breast cancer, which returned and was especially aggressive for both. 

Prostate Exam: This is the male equivalent of an uncomfortable procedure (no details here). Grenville went for an exam this week. The American Cancer Society recommends men start cancer screenings at age 50. Screening is generally not recommended in men over 75 as potential benefits are outweighed by the risks in this population.
2023 is the first fall and winter virus season where vaccines are available for 3 viruses deemed responsible for most hospitalizations – COVID-19, RSV, flu.
RSV Vaccine: Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a common respiratory virus that can cause mild, cold-like symptoms. While most people recover in a week or two, RSV can be serious especially for infants and older adults, more likely to develop severe symptoms that need hospitalization. 

There's no maximum age for getting an RSV vaccination. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends adults 60 and older can receive a single dose of the vaccine. This will provide protection against RSV disease in adults 60 years and older for at least two winter seasons, when RSV normally circulates.

Updated Covid: Here we go again. The CDC recommends everyone 6 months and older get an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against potentially serious outbreaks this fall and winter. Updated vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are available now in many retail pharmacies. In most cases there is no charge.

Returning from our recent trip abroad, several group members posted on a messaging app that they'd been infected with COVID symptoms, some more severe than others. Since we're traveling out of the country (again) in a few weeks having as much protection as possible is never a bad thing.

Flu Shot:  All persons aged 6 months of age and older, with rare exception, are recommended to get the annual influenza (flu) vaccination every season appropriate for their age and health status. September and October are the recommended best times for most to get vaccinated. More information can be found online at the CDC and other websites.

This week, I completed the RSV and COVID vaccinations and will get the flu shot within a couple of weeks. We have Medicare and supplemental medical insurance. There was no cost for any of these procedures or/vaccinations.

As stated earlier, every medical decision is a personal one to make yourself or with input from your medical professional. Personally, we hope that everyone stays healthy and takes advantage of all preventative measures available. (Our screening results were thankfully negative. The vaccines may produce soreness at the injection site, usually upper arm.)

30 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

I am waiting to be called for my flu and covid jabs. I also have the opportunity to get a shingles jab which I'll take up. They stop mammograms here at 70 but I've just received my bowel testing kit. Not pleasant but good to get done.

Boud said...

I wrote a long supportive reply which blogger wouldn't post, anyway,trying again, this post is a public service, thank you.

MadSnapper said...

we got the flu shot, waiting to talk to heart doc about covid for bob, the pharmacist said with his heart condition, best to clear it with cardio. the rsv we are considering that. pharmacy said bob should have the pneumonia and rsv. did you get rsv and covid at same time

photowannabe said...

Wise decisions for you and your Hubby.
Doing what's best for our own bodies is the way to go.
I have had the pneumonia shot a few years ago and am glad I did.
Have a great day.
Sue

Michelle said...

Keeping up with health screenings, check ups, vaccinations, etc..., is so important. Glad you are both taking care of yourselves.

Marie Smith said...

Thanks for the reminders. We are getting the flu and Covid vaccines when they are available next month.

Bijoux said...

And the crazy part is, you only mentioned a few! After a certain age, it seems as though there are medical appointments every week. I’ve been told by my doctor to only get one vaccination at a time, so since I’m also due for tetanus (whatever combo of Tdap now being given), I’m going to probably not be finished with all this until the end of the year.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

OH, my, so many decisions to make concerning vaccines. I have already taken a flue shot and still trying to decide whether to take the Covid booster shot. What a time to make decisions about our health. Glad you are taking good care of your health.

Emma Springfield said...

There are so many things that threaten our health. Staying alert is a good idea.

Sandi said...

"Those decisions are strictly your own, as they should be. Everyone should do what he/she feels most comfortable with for their own well being."

I appreciate your saying that. It seems there is a lot of arguing out there that is not necessary.

I had the fastest mammogram ever just a week ago. I was in and out in just a couple minutes, seriously under five. The technician was thorough, but didn't waste a moment. Whew!

Sandra said...

I think we are due for the next Covid booster shot. I will get the flu vaccine at that time unless advised against it.

Rita said...

Just talked with my oncologist about vaccines. I don't have to decide yet...but I have had such terrible responses to the shots I'm not sure if I feel up to any of them or not. I'd have to spread them way apart because I have such bad reactions that I am sick for a week or so. The covid one would be top on my list, though. Getting the shingles vaccine didn't keep me from getting it and having a reaction so that I'm still dealing with shingles symptoms nine months later. *sigh* My body is shot from these last couple years of treatments--or maybe the immunotherapy has my reactions in overdrive? lol! I have been x-rayed from neck to crotch and tested for cancer cells so often that I haven't needed a mammogram or colonoscopy at all--LOL! Silver lining. ;)

Jeanie said...

You and I are on the same page. I've had the RSV shot. My infectious disease doc told me not to get flu till the first or second week of October so it would hold the full amount of time and still be active in February and March. And I can't get the new Covid till I run through my antibiotic regimen for this infection/pneumonia but will get it as soon as I can after!

Kathy said...

I think it's good you are keeping up with all of your medical tests and shots. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Lowcarb team member said...

Pleased to read that all your screening results were negative.

Take care and enjoy your September days.

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

Very interesting. I am going to bookmark this and show Gregg. Thanks for all the info.

My name is Erika. said...

I should do the RSV, but my flu and covid shots are Sunday. With my chronic hives, I'm worried what 2 vaccines will do to me. Monday I might be super itchy. When do you leave on your next trip? hugs-Erika

Red said...

Right on. we'd have much less illness if all were vaccinated.

diane b said...

Glad to hearthat you are keeping up with your vaccinations. I just skipped through the posts that I have missed. You sure did have a fabulous tour of the Amalfi Coast. Well done you two.

nick said...

Some years ago now I was told I had a trace of prostate cancer, but a year or so later it had disappeared, thankfully. I haven't yet been called in for a covid jab, although over 75s are supposed to be prioritised, but Jenny (who's 67) has been called in already.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good information

I will take any shot they have.
Time to schedule them

Christina said...

It is so important to take good care of our health - not least because this lessens the burden on the health systems later on. I've had my mammogram in a traveling mammogram truck on the supermarket car park this summer, a good way to reach women because it is not always easy to get to a secondary health care centre. The bi-annual bowel screen was an easy at home test, all done, too. I have been called up for the flu shot and made my appointment. I am too young still for a Covid Booster, or the RSV but have just had Covid, which has boosted my immunity (it was not pleasant, would have much prepared a booster).

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am a very good boy and dutifully do what my doctor tells me, which in fact is very little, since I am (fortunately) in robust good health.

Anvilcloud said...

We are onboard with everything. Always trust the best science available unless you have specific and personal reasons to do otherwise.

CrystalChick said...

Regarding vaccines... we have only been getting the Covid one, but, with so many sicknesses out there and our getting older, it might be time to consider some others. My son has been sick a couple days, took a home test for Covid (negative) but talking to him earlier it sounds like the flu. :(

baili said...

this is very wise to have full protection through usual yearly check ups and vaccination dear Dorothy

i appreciate you shared your wisdom with us ,it can help many who don't take it seriously yea people like

best wishes for your up coming travel to abroad
more grace of God to both of you and to those you love!

Rob Lenihan said...


Got my cold and flu jabs today!

William Kendall said...

I'll have to figure out a good time for my shots in the next week or so.

Jenny Woolf said...

For someone who is generally creeped out by this stuff, I have learned quite a lot about it, and I think many people are similar. I'm gearing up for my flu shot and mammogram next week. AS for the prostate cancer test, there is some reassurance that firstly it often begins and quickly ends with a blood test which shows all is well. And secondly, the procedure is now less horrible than it used to be because of recent advances.

I listened to a BBC radio programme about the benefits of screening and it was really interesting, explaining why doctors stop certain screenings at certain ages, and why it is thoretically possible to have screening for certain conditions but it isn't done. It's all about outcomes and averages, risks and benefits. Overall my view is similar to yours, that people need to take these decisions for themselves.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Very well written Dorothy! Should help many and offend nobody. We will be getting all of those vaccines/boosters you mention this month for the exact reasons you mention. Also by the way, we got our shingrex vaccine (to prevent shingles) last year -- quite important for people our age.