Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2022

So Now I Know (Again)

There's way too many things I've read about/learned recently, some interesting and useful, others not so much. Whenever I go online looking for something, that path veers way off

Maybe, you know exactly how that goes. Especially the past couple of years (just saying)

As most of you know by now, I like to share finds, whether new to me or not. This post contains some of those.

Some fonts are ink guzzlers . . .
OK, so that's nothing new and everyone who has ever printed something and is reading this post, already knows that the bigger and bolder the font, the more ink it will use and will not be the cheapest print choice. And, like with most things, size matters as well. The larger the font size, the more ink it uses and the more to be bought.

Surprisingly, one of the most popularly used fonts, which isn't the biggest or boldest in the group, is one of the biggest ink hogs — Arial. This font reportedly uses as much as 30% more ink than similar ones. That means that if it's a favorite of yours, you could be restocking ink cartridges or refills more often.

But there's workarounds and selecting another font can help, another long-time favorite—Times Roman, is reportedly more economical with ink use thanks to its thinner letters. If you're not a fan of this font, there's other choices — Calibri or Century Gothic are possible substitutes. 

Another way to select ink-saving fonts is to use ones labeled — Thin, Condensed or Narrow. It's a tip-off that since strokes are thinner, the font will use less ink; Helvetica Condensed uses less ink than standard Helvetica.

Studies by printing professionals (yes, there are such groups) have shown that the fonts named above use up to  30% less ink than Arial. Not only that, but they have been labelled as among the most ink efficient fonts. This example ↓ shows all three fonts at the identical point size. (In typography, the point is the smallest unit of measure used for measuring font size, leading, and other items on a printed page.)
Times New Roman is a serif typeface commissioned in 1931 by the British newspaper The Times and conceived by typographer Stanley Morison. It's become one of the most popular typefaces ever created. It's a default font installed on nearly all desktop computers. The Times used it for 40 years until 2004 when new production techniques and a format change from broadsheet to tabloid caused it to switch typeface several times. But, all those changes have been variants of the original New Roman typeface.

Century Gothic is a sans serif font created in 1991 for monotype imaging. Century Gothic is neat and readable. It's widely used for print material and headlines as it can be read from a distance and has delivered a 31 percent savings in printing costs over Arial. 

Calibri is a digital sans-serif typeface family in the modern style designed by Dutch type designer Lucas de Groot, and released to the public with Microsoft Office 2007.

And now, the next topic is decluttering.
But not in the usual way of thinking about getting rid of stuff, like I've been doing in recent weeks. Those boxes of stuff in the photo → were taken to a local thrift center last week. What helped with this process was following the process that once something went into the box and the box was filled, nothing came out, and the box was taped — out of sight, mind, and apt.

And, the same way that decluttering works for ridding us of physical things, like household items, it can also work for our minds. Mental decluttering is what older adults, aged 60 to 85 years of age need to do often according to recent research studies read about online. Cluttered minds are found to be common among older adults with a lot of accumulated life experiences, but don't we all? 

Why? 
Because, according to several studies, folks in this age group process and store too much information in their brains. This can lead to cluttering the memory with facts that are no longer needed, knowledge from years ago, creating distractions. The researchers found that overloaded memory can impair recall in older adults and account for age differences in memory tests.

By whatever name it's called, memory, mind or brain clutter. There are pros and cons.

What's a downside of remembering too much?
If what you want to remember is bound up with too much information this can slow down your memory processes. For example, if a place/person changes an address, older people can often recall older details. By comparison, younger folks suppress old information and replace it. Older brains can have a harder time doing so even when information is no longer useful. A lifetime of accumulated information and knowledge can lead to memory errors or reduced attention to detail. Aging also comes with reduced attention to detail as older adults can be distracted by competing thoughts when trying to remember something.

There's an upside to mind clutter.
Cluttered memory can be beneficial and knowledge retention helpful in what's called enriched memory. Decision making can also benefit from accumulated memory when older people are in positions where important decisions are needed. Accumulated memory and knowledge can help what seems like stored obsolete information is accessed to help with tasks that require creativity.

How to keep our brains healthy. 
It's as easy as staying physically active, still considered the best way to improve cognitive health as we age. Exercise is associated with brain health, including better blood flow to areas involved in cognitive tasks. 

Researchers who studied the effects of exercise on thinking ability in those over 50 including memory, alertness and ability to quickly process information found that physical activity improved all these skills — 40 to 60 minutes of moderate exercise as many days as possible. 

A 2020 study showed that a simple exercise, walking, could slow brain aging by up to 4 years. Previous studies showed it was an average of 10 years, but that required doing moderate to heavy exercise. 

Regular exercise I can manage by visits to the in-house gym here, heavier stuff not so much.

For those averse to or who can't exercise, the good news is that there's other options to keep the brain healthy and working well. It's sort of like flossing to maintain dental health, only it is brain flossing. Staying mentally active, trying new things, and being in mind-stimulating environments — as easy as taking a class, playing games, solving puzzles. That's why we're going to keep playing dominoes weekly.

That's enough this 'n that for now.  I'm going to watch some YouTube videos to learn a lot that's new to me — doesn't everyone do that?

18 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I was a graphic designer for many years so I know a bit about fonts, but I never considered the amount of ink they used up. I just chose the ones that looked most appropriate for the company I was doing artwork for. Picking the right font from a design point of view is everything.

MadSnapper said...

I am with Cool Joe, I pick fonts for the way they look, which is ok because I don't print things. the only things i print are reciepts to put in the warranty bag when I buy new things. they go in a file. i did not know most of the font stuff, but do know I do not like those 3 fonts, now i go buy what is easier for me to read. like bold and big fonts in email. some emails i have to pinch and enlarge screen so I can see. i can say if you had to print books it would be a big deal on the ink.
About the excercise, they say it helps. I am proof it doesn't. I have been exercising 5 to 7 days a week since 2006 when I retired, 40 minutes to an hour almost every day. my memory is getting worse every day.

My name is Erika. said...

This is such an interesting read. I didn't know about Times New Roman font. I use it regularly still, except when I was teaching because it isn't as easy for some students to read as Ariel. No wonder why they used to complain about printing costs at school. And I did know about exercise keeping brain health, but I didn't know about how we don't clear out useless old memories the same way. I knew people do chop out info when we sleep. Maybe because many older adults don't sleep as much that hampers the process? I am terrible at crosswords, but I've been hankering to do some lately, or maybe word finds. I bet that would be a good brain stimulant, different from my usual. Thanks for this post. It's been great. Stay dry today. Hugs-Erika

baili said...

wow that was fantastic post dear Dorothy !

i enjoyed learning everything you shared but most loved the department which is my favorite yes the mental growth and all ,i am so much into these tings since some times and i feel it works if one adds healthy physical and mental work out in routine and keeps it for long run ,consequences are strikingly impressive.

thank you so much for great amount of useful information my friend!
blessings to you and family!

Barbara Rogers said...

I knew that about fonts, having printed many a newsletter maybe 17 to 25 years ago. But I didn't know I could clear out some dusty old memories. I know exercise is good for me, being a pulmonary and cardiac patient. And as soon as it's warmer I'll up my walking time! I was stymied over the past 2 winters with Covid so I couldn't use the gym that I'd planned to. Thanks for good info here!

Bijoux said...

I’ve always been mindful of those BOLD fonts! Ink is so expensive. Interesting news about memory. I’ll have to remember that! Ha!

Vee said...

I have never considered different fonts for frugal ink consumption. I make it a habit to very seldom use my printer. That's one way of being frugal. Interesting discussion on fonts. Do you have a favorite?

Jon said...

I've never liked using large or bold fonts on a printer. It's a complete waste of precious ink. Unfortunately, the ink often costs more than the printer nowadays.

Cluttered mind?? Heck, my mind has been hopelessly cluttered since I was twenty.....
Physical exercise is important in keeping mentally fit. It's also imperative to keep our minds occupied with as many stimulating things as possible. An inactive mind will deteriorate very quickly.
And we are never too old to learn....

Anvilcloud said...

Once upon a time and not that long ago really, we didn’t have all that many fonts. We had courier from the old typewriters days — or a holdover from those days, I guess is more apt. We had arial and times new roman and probably a few others including a script or two. All that I really remember, apart from not bothering with courier, is that time new was seen primarily to be used in the body of the text. Arial was seen as more apt from headers, so its ink usage wouldn’t have been seen as a big concern. Then, when I began to play around with websites a bit, we were given reverse instructions. Now, as you have shown, there are many other options. I think callibri is the default on my iteration of Word, but I don’t do much actual word processing very much anymore although it was once what I did most.

nick said...

Interesting observations about memory and brain health. I walk for at least 30 minutes every day so my brain should be in good shape! And I tend to discard obsolete information pretty quickly in favour of what's more up to date. I've read many times also that plenty of social contact helps to keep the brain working efficiently.

William Kendall said...

I seem to prefer Calibri.

Rita said...

I like the Century Gothic but I can't imagine that doesn't take up as much ink as regular old thin Arial?

Interesting about brain decluttering. We have so much information connected to other pieces of information--soooo true. One can follow your own thoughts down a rabbit hole the older you get--ROFL! ;)

Polly said...

Thank you for another very intersting post Beatrice. I like using different fonts, and have to admit I choose them for visual appeal. I've never thought about the amount of ink they use, but yes it does make sense that they are all different. I like walking and walk my dog every day (except rainy days!). I also like reading and doing puzzles, hoping to keep my mind healthy.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

A lot to think about there - thereby cluttering up my befuddled brain cells even more, I suppose! I'm fairly convinced that people are forgetful throughout their lives but as we get older we attach more importance to the times when things slip our minds. Children forget their homework, forget to take their swimming kit to school, forget to tell their parents important messages from school. Do they worry about it? Of course not. At work people forget to complete tasks, forget to record things properly, forget the passwords to their computers and they just blame their busy schedules. It's only us retired people who let such things worry us.

Edna B said...

I do lots of "Find A Word" puzzles. This keeps my brain working just fine. My heart doctor agrees with me. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Jeanie said...

I did know that about type fonts, which I learned way back when I was working. It's one reason why Calibri is my go-to font if I'm doing something that will be printed, unless I need to go fancy for some reason.

The mind decluttering was good info -- and pretty new to me but it makes perfect sense! We do overload a lot!

L. D. said...

This is a great read. I throw things away a lot more now as I moved it from one house to another and I am wondering why.

Lowcarb team member said...

A most interesting read ... thank you.

All the best Jan