Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

MmMm Good for You

There's no cure for the common cold. 

That isn't especially good news for folks like Grenville and myself right now. Over the counter medications have eased our symptoms, but none make a cold go away faster.

There is something that really helps us . . .
Our grandmothers, mothers (and yours) would agree — chicken soup

Scientific studies agree too that chicken soup really has medicinal value. Years ago, Chicken Soup Inhibits Neutrophil Chemotaxis In Vitro was the title of a clinical study by Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Dr. Rennard conducted tests using his wife's homemade chicken soup. He concluded that the soup significantly reduced cold symptoms by clearing congestion and preventing dehydration. 

And, if you're feeling too sick to make your own soup . . . just open a can. 

Dr. Rennard tested over a dozen canned and packaged chicken vegetable and chicken noodle soup brands and found many worked as well (or better) than homemade.

For us, there's nothing better than homemade anything especially soup. This basic chicken soup recipe is from the Martha Stewart website; a video can be seen here

While I used this recipe, mine included add-ins such as herbs (thyme, sage and parsley) and freshly ground pepper (not too much). I used a mix of low-sodium chicken broth and water. I also added a half bag of fresh spinach at the end of the soup preparation. Be sure to leave the skin on the chicken while cooking as this adds flavor and some necessary fat.

Basic Chicken Soup
(courtesy of Martha Stewart & Food Editor Sara Carey)
  • 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut in pieces (including back) 
  • 8 C water 
  • 1 TBSP coarse salt (not table salt) 
  • 3 medium onions, thinly sliced (4 cups) 
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick 
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed 
  • 6 medium carrots, sliced 1/2-inch thick

  1. Bring chicken, water, and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Skim foam. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Reduce heat. 
  2. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. 
  3. Remove breast, and set aside. Add carrots. 
  4. Simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes. 
  5. Remove remaining chicken; discard back and wings, skin. Let cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, and cut into bite-size pieces. 
  6. Stir desired amount of chicken into soup; reserve the rest for another use. Skim fat. Season with salt.
While chicken soup many not sure a cold, it does help ease some of the symptoms, even if temporarily.

But most researches agreed that chicken soup and vegetables contains healthy nutrients that increase hydration.

We always feel better after having a bowlful. It's even tastier the following day.

Does chicken soup work for you?

12 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I always have a couple of cans of Campbells chicken noodle soup just for when i feel bad. only eat it when sick. lucky for me have not had any for a long time. i also think hot tea helps with cold symptoms. and a pot of water boiling on the stove with me breathing it..

DeniseinVA said...

Now that looks good enough to cure a cold. Sorry you two are down with it. Feel better soon :)

Anvilcloud said...

I didn't know that there was something to this. Hope you guys feel better soon.

Connie said...

This looks really good. It is snowing and very cold here today. Chicken soup would hit the spot. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Hope you feel better soon.

Emma Springfield said...

I have chicken soup on my planned menu for next week. I too read that chicken soup does indeed have medicinal qualities. My grandmother who was the best cook ever started her chicken soup with Mrs Grass with the little "egg" of bouillon that melted as you heated it. The smell still comes to mind when I make any kind of soup.

William Kendall said...

Usually colds for me last two or three days and that's the worst of it. At Christmas I got hit by something that might have been pneumonia or the flu that took a month to get over.

I've found tea helps.

NCmountainwoman said...

I love chicken soup and keep some in the freezer in pint containers at all times. Pint containers because my dear husband (who loves all other things chicken) does not like chicken soup. His go-to cold remedy includes hot tea and Mucinex. Oh, and whining.

Hope your colds are soon better.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I love chicken soup and although I know I probably shouldn't, I add some noodles. :) Chicken soup..that answer to all our problems!! I wish!
Sending big hugs!!
Mona

diane b said...

Get well soon and keep on with the chicken soup.

Anonymous said...

That sure looks good. I love homemade soup.

Lynn said...

I always get Hot & Sour soup from the Chinese restaurant near my house. It fills the bill since it has a chicken stock base. AND it's fiery hot, which also helps.

They always know when I'm sick when I order that and come by to pick it up to take home. "You're still sick???" Yes - with the cold that seems to be finally going away.

The last time - a couple of weeks ago - the lady said, "Keep warm!!! Wear your coat! Where's your coat!?!?" She has a point.

Rebecca said...

Not sure it cures any colds but it sure works for me!