Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

What's Been Happening

We haven't been soaring in the clouds  

Or climbing mountains.

What have we been doing?

Selling "stuff."

That best describes accumulations we've acquired — household items, outdoor items, tools, holiday decorations and lots MORE stuff.

As many fellow bloggers know, we've listed our home, The Frog & PenguINN for saleWe plan to live in a smaller space, which means we don't need to take all this stuff. It's actually a very nice feeling — knowing that we can and will make do with less stuff.

Where did all this stuff come from?
Sometimes, we can't even recall buying or (worse yet) why we bought some things. Moving here from NJ we left a small cottage to move into a 2-story Victorian house. And, it's so true that the more space, the more stuff to fill it — for us that took over 11 years.
Lately, we've been selling stuff through postings on Craigslist and a local "Trash & Treasures" buy and sell site. 

What have we sold?
Lots of stuff — outdoor furniture, patio boxes, beach chairs, table lights, chairs, small tables, etc. It's been working out well, and listing things for sale and answering comments can be quite interesting, as anyone who has ever sold stuff knows. 

Things we've learned . . .
  • If a man calls about an item and after asking about it says, "I have to check with my wife" — he will not be back. (If a man wants something, he buys it.)
  • As long as an ad remains posted, the item is unsold, yet we get folks who ask "is this still available?"  (We delete a listing once an item sells, others don't.)
  • No matter how low/reasonable we price something, folks want it for even less than your price. (We've learned to just say, "No.")
  • We always include our phone number, yet people let their fingers do the walking on a keyboard. But, we're not always online (really) so a call is faster.
This is why blog posting and reading has fallen behind. We enjoy sharing what we're doing, where we've been but (as most bloggers know) it can take some a lot of time. We're still in blog-land, just less active now. Soon, we'll share news of our latest adventures.

And, in case you wondered . . . we haven't sold the F&P yet, but remain hopeful. So, if you know of anyone looking for a nice home in a nice place, let us know.


18 comments:

MadSnapper said...

congrats on selling those unused/unneeded items. I would like to do this on Craigslist but we go to bed at 8 and all the calls come in after that, no one calls in the day time. you gave me an idea.. don't put a phone number but use email. my email is up all day long.. also i don't like strangers in the house and Jake densest either..do you let the inside? i don't trust people to come in at all...

Out on the prairie said...

It's hard to give up some things, but is amazing what one really doesn't need. I am still looking for things I alleviated.

Anonymous said...

So You're rich now then :-) :-) :-)

You would be surprised over how many forget to delete their ad after selling what ever it was, so I do understand why they ask.

It is amazing how many things one suddenly has and not actually remember getting them :-) Even here in my tiny cottage without any storage space I still have way to muc stuff :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Rebecca said...

We have sold and bought things on eBay and craigslist. You soon learn to read who is a buyer and who is not. But we aren't in a rush, so we let the lookie loos come on up and have a look. You never know, they might have a friend that wants that very thing!

Emma Springfield said...

First you must go through everything and decide what to keep and what to sell. Then you need to decide what it is worth. Then you must deal with all the people who call. It is so time consuming. I hope it is a quick process for you.

Country Gal said...

Busy , busy times for you . I feel the same way about stuff as I clean out closets and what not . Hope it sells soon for you . Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

William Kendall said...

That's going to take you time.

diane b said...

That is a busy time for you. Glad you are able to sell some stuff. I hate to think of moving. Our neighbours have just done it and I saw what a stressful time it was for them. They had sooooo much stuff. We scored a near new lounge suite off them gratis.

Gail Dixon said...

How exciting to get rid of all the excess! I'd love to do that someday. Not that we hold onto a lot, but I don't like clutter at all. Wishing you all the best on the sale of your home!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Reading your post, I was so hopeful that your place had sold...sorry about that yet kudos to a job well done on scaling back. You did sell the scale, right?...:)JP

Latane Barton said...

I can so relate to your downsizing. I moved from a small home (one story, rooms small) in 1999 to our 2 story home and boy did I fill it with STUFF. When I decided to move into my apartment I just closed my eyes and let it all go. I feel so liberated now.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

We aren't moving, at least not in the near future, but I sure need to get rid of some stuff. I don't want to create a burden for my children to deal with when we are older and can't take care of things. And I sure hope that day is not in the near future, either! :) But after seeing all the stuff my cousin has to deal with after my aunt and uncle passed last month, it sure made me think about what I need to do. He'll be months going through all the stuff they have.
Best wishes on your purging and getting your house sold! Have a nice weekend!

Montanagirl said...

Yup, I think we all get in that trap of buying and collecting too much "Stuff". Good luck with getting rid of it all, and with your house sale!

Connie said...

We got rid of some of our stuff this last time we moved, but we really should try to get rid of more. We have so much that we really don't need. I hope you find a buyer for your home soon.

Elaine said...

Amazing how stuff accumulates and fills up your space, no matter what size it is. Moving into a smaller place gives you a lot of incentive to get rid of it. Not a fun process, but it does feel good to get rid of unneeded items. And when you get to your new digs you'll have a bit of spending money so you can find just the perfect things to fit there!

Anonymous said...

When we were downsizing this year, we either donated or discarded our stuff. I have never had a yard sale, because it is too much trouble.

Linda said...

Some years back I sold a ton of stuff on ebay because we were moving. I was impressed by how far people will drive to pick up furniture.

Catherine said...

I hope your selling/purging/packing is coming along smoothly. I had to smile when I read about "all your stuff" and not remembering when/why you bought it - I felt the same way packing up to move from the US to France. It's amazing how much stuff we accumulate over time! And totally agree with your Things we've learned section :)