Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Holiday Films

We watch holiday films this time of year . . . 


Our collection includes about 50 holiday films and/or classic TV shows on DVD (we upgraded from VHS). We view them from Thanksgiving to New Year's and try to average one per night, but sometimes miss a night so double up other nights.

With some classics, we watch the original and the remake. For example, 1947 The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant, David Niven, Loretta Young) was re-made and re-titled in 1996 as The Preacher's Wife (Denzel Washington, Whitney Houston, Courtney B. Vance). Another example is the 1947 and then 1994 versions of Miracle on 34th Street. Our preference is for the vintage B&W film. 
Then, there are the weekend movie marathons when we watch several films in sequence, notably the series of Santa comedies with Tim Allen: Santa Clause (1994), Santa Clause 2: The Mrs Clause (2002), Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006). A second marathon is 1990 Home Alone and the 1992 sequel Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Of course, there's numerous versions of the Dickens classic, A Christmas Carol of which we have several: 1984 version with George C. Scott, 1998 comedy Scrooged with Bill Murray, 2009 animated film with Jim Carrey, and the 1992 Muppets animation.

Then, there are the "unusual" holiday films, like the 1994 Mixed Nuts, with Steve Martin (named one of the worst films ever made). 
The 1950 The Great Rupert (re-titled A Christmas Wishwith Jimmy Durante featured a dancing squirrel. A 1940 film, Beyond Tomorrow (re-titled Beyond Christmas) is a sentimental tear-jerker.

There's also the classic films, we watch every year: White Christmas, Holiday Inn, It's a Wonderful Life. Our favorites also include these more recent seasonal romantic-comedies:  Love Actually (2003) and The Holiday (2006).

How about YOU . . .

If you enjoy holiday films, which ones and do you watch them every holiday season?

Happy Holiday viewing !

13 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

You have an amazing collection. I had forgot about a few and now want to see the Durante film just for the dancing squirrel.What a great time you share during the holidays.I got my Xmas train out , but have left the decorating to others.

NCmountainwoman said...

We always watch "Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott as Scrooge. Another favorite is "The Homecoming" the first Waltons story with Patrician O'Neal as the mother.

Connie said...

This is such a great tradition you have! You make the season last and make it special in your own way by doing this.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Holiday Inn! YES!
A Charlie Brown Christmas
A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott
The Desk Set with Tracey and Hepburn
:) m & jb

MadSnapper said...

I watched Love Actually last year and loved it. Miracle on 34th st, both of them are my favorites for all time. most of these i have never seen. I did see the Preachers wife years ago but did not remember it being a Holiday movie. I love Denzel. i have seen 5 of the ones in the collage. but i have watched about 30 plus Christmas movies on Hallmark since the week before Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I don't have especially many Christmas movies. My absolute favorite is National Lampoon's Christmas vacation :-) I never miss to watch that one at Christmas. I also have Love Actually that I like a lot.

Have a great day!
Christer.

William Kendall said...

I rather like the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol.

Admittedly, my idea of Christmas movies tends to lean more towards the first two Die Hard films or the Denis Leary caper film The Ref.

Out on the prairie said...

Got your card today, Merry Christmas!

Michelle said...

I have to say I enjoy Christmas Vacation and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Emma Springfield said...

I have been feverishly watching my Christmas movies. I am saving the best till last. I have most of the ones you have. I have watched a couple of them but I still have about 50 left. I may be watching Christmas movies for Valentines Day. Enjoy your viewing.

diane b said...

Wow you really get into holiday films. What a great collection you have. I can't say I have watched any beyond childhood but do see the odd TV series which takes place at Christmas time.

Anvilcloud said...

The only ones we make a point of watching are 5wo versions of A Christmas Carol. Incidentally we may watch Miracle and perhaps Polar Express with 5he kids. I prefer not to watch the Bing C movies.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing your holiday favorites and yes, Christer, National Lampoon Christmas IS a definite must-see for us and is in our holiday collection. And HOW could I neglect the Charlie Brown Christmas which we also watch, and there are so many others as well.